Awesome tempo workout on a bike (Read 1946 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Outpedaling this storm.  We almost did it, too.  The worst of the rain and wind hit maybe a mile from our starting point.  I finished with a leaf stuck to my face from the sideways rain and wind.  Except for the lightning it was pretty invigorating.

The craziest bit...our house 25 minutes north had not a spot of rain fallen or wind damage (trees had collapsed all over the place inland from where we were).  It looked like close to a full inch fell where we were riding from.

30 minutes later we were loading up on a boat to go out on Lake MI and swim.  By then it was breezy with blue skies and fluffy clouds and all sign of storm off to the east.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

badass bro.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lake MI squalls sure are.  That is the first time I have seen such high quality video of one of those coming through.  Beautiful and a little scary.  Hubby was on a boat in the middle of the lake during a cross-lake sailboat race (Queen's Cup) when a line like that came through.  One boat lost its mast during that storm.

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wow!  Our storms in Nebraska are different.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow!  Our storms in Nebraska are different.

You get more tornadoes, right?  We tend to get nasty straight-line storms...similar wind speeds to tornadoes, but without the spinning.  And they can be so isolated and pass through rapidly, with blue skies behind.  That video shows the southern edge of that storm.  The northern edge was maybe 15-20 miles away.  Where we were biking was right in the middle.  We figured we would come home to a soaked yard and were shocked to see everything here totally dry.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I love these kind of rides. Having commuted thousands of miles over the years I've raced many afternoon thunderstorm home. Usually I win. Sometimes I don't and sometimes it's all my imagination. Still, it makes for a great hammer session.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love these kind of rides. Having commuted thousands of miles over the years I've raced many afternoon thunderstorm home. Usually I win. Sometimes I don't and sometimes it's all my imagination. Still, it makes for a great hammer session.

I had one very memorable 6 mile run a few years back, too.  I was 4 miles into it when a storm came up out of nowhere.  I really booked those last 2 miles and had a blast doing it.  A woman with a new car was nice and stopped to ask me if I needed a ride.  I laughed and told her I was only a mile from home.  I wouldn't have wanted to put my soaked, sweaty bod on her new car seats, anyhow.  That would destroy that heavenly new car smell really fast! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I had a similar experience last month. I was running about two miles east of home and a big one came through. My wife called and said she was coming to get me. She picked me up on the side of the road just before it got bad. I only agreed because I didn't want her to worry about me but, in the end, it was one of the worst ones I'd seen in a while and I'm lucky she fetched me. No worries about the new car smell in our zoom-zoom Mazda. It's long gone. I can't even remember it.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No worries about the new car smell in our zoom-zoom Mazda. It's long gone. I can't even remember it.

Ha, yeah...my car is 4.5 and is frequently hauling on sweaty people (adults and kid) and grimy bikes.  It hasn't had new car smell in at least 3 years.

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You get more tornadoes, right? 

Sure, there are a zillion storm chaser videos out there.

MTA: Bicycle storm chasing may not be such a good idea in these situations.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: Bicycle storm chasing may not be such a good idea in these situations.

We weren't exactly chasing it...trying to outrun it and get back to our safe starting point.

~ Sarah Kay

TRIing to beat the heat!

Awesome stuff, Zoomy!  Sometimes it takes the threat of being struck down by a lightning bolt to really HTFU!

I have a similar story involving swimming.  I was scheduled for a 1000m time-trial in order to establish my T-Pace in the pool.  When I arrived, the clouds were a very ominous shade of grey.  In summer, in FL, this means trouble is ahead and the deadly lightning isn't far behind.

I got in that pool and swam my ASS off b/c my entire week had been planned around this damn pool time trial.  On that day, I swam the fastest splits in the pool that I have ever swam in my adult life... and have not been able to reproduce them since! Ha!  I was never able to complete my cool down-- the lifeguards plucked us all from the pool with the first lightning strike.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

keeponrunning

Haha reminds me of running at my cottage.  I was running and my sister was biking, and the clouds started rolling in.  Here we are in the middle of the boondocks (and I really mean boondocks) with no one around for at least 3 miles, and our cottage is about 6.5 miles away.  My sister asks me, "I'm on a bike with rubber tires, that means I can't get struck, right?"  I wasn't sure but said yes to reassure her.  

P.S.  We did make it back before the storm hit us.  Thankfully.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My sister asks me, "I'm on a bike with rubber tires, that means I can't get struck, right?"  I wasn't sure but said yes to reassure her.  

Considering lightning travels through a mile of open air, an inch of rubber wouldn't do a person much good.  It may help with carpet static, though.

kalb

Suspected spam.