Help me salvage my training cycle. (Read 126 times)

Birdwell

I'm putting this here because it's all about race preparation.

I have a 50K coming up in mid November (10 weeks from now). I had grand visions of the shape I was going to be in for it.

Life got in the way and due to the babies hospitalizations I lost some valuable training time (kid is o.k. now)

My log is public. June was a planned cut back time (though I didn't mean to cut back that much). The cut backs in August were unplanned.

My long runs took the biggest hit for a lot of reasons.

What should I do with the 10 weeks I have to get ready for this race?

My original plan was to start building up my long runs in July and August and try to get in a bunch of 16-25 milers before the race. Now that doesn't seem like such a good idea.

The race is going to happen either way. As bad as training has been it's still 10x's better than my prep before my previous 50K. The race is a trail race with 4500 feet of elevation gain. My original plan (when I first put the race on the calender back in February) was to get myself into sub 4 hour marathon shape for the race. I don't see that happening right now, but I'd still like to have as good a race as I can.

I'm open to any ideas and suggestions.

mta: I live and train at 6,000 feet (if that matters). Most of my training runs are a mix of trails and roads with decent elevation gain and loss (usually 100+ feet per mile gain). I've got a number of mountains that can get me some decent elevation gain (2500+ in >6 miles)

(modified in an attempt to fix formatting...too dumb to post from phone...)

Glad your kid is ok!!

Does this race have other distances you could do instead? Can you drop down to 25k or even less? I would probably do that if I were you, and then look at something like a Hal Higdon half plan to get you ready to cover the distance. I think those are like 10 or 12 weeks and they get you to the finish line ok. (though not sure how all the elevation gain plays into your training - an ultra person will have to expound on that - but you probably need to get some hilly long runs in there.. Do you have access to that kind of terrain?)

if that's not possible, and you absolutely must do the 50k, I'd expect more of a vigorous hike than a running race and train accordingly...

You and I seem to be in the same boat, I am signed up for a marathon a week later, but probably in worse shape that you at the moment.  I have been sick the past week, just when I was ramping up my running, but think the race can still be salvaged.  Will be throwing out all faster workouts and  try and get atleast  two longer workouts per week, and hopefully one hill workout as my race too has about 4500 ft of total elevation gain and loss.

Unless you have a time goal running 45-50 miles the next 8-9 weeks, should allow a decent finish.  How to structure those 45 miles is probably less important than to get the miles done.  I plan on an hour 3 days a week (one of these is a 30 min hill repeats session), 2 shorter 25-30 min recovery days, and one 90-120 minute midweek run, and a long run of 2:30- building to 3:00 duration.  That should get me to about 45-48 miles all at easy pace.  Will try and sneak in a couple of races  a 15k or a Half marathon, which will be the only speedwork.  

maybe I'm just too conservative in these matters - it just seems like such a long run and so little time! But here's what I was thinking: It's going to be a time on feet issue. How long will you be out there, 6-7 hours at least? What about doing long run/hikes instead of long runs? Or long run/hikes on alternate weekends, or something? It's great you can train in the mountains (I live in a flat place so am always drastically underprepared for alpine races) - so you could do training runs that simulate what you'll go through on race day. Work up to 3-4 hours at a time?

just a thought.

the training for a 50k does not have to be much different than a marathon, but maybe stack those two longer runs on sat/sun for example for a 50k? Think cramming any more running in would be counter productive. 

Birdwell

happyfeet, are you running monkey? hahaha! At least my race only has two hills 

I think your suggestion will work (getting in that 45-50 range). I know I need to add some distance to my long and mid week long runs.

runharrietrun - I figure I'll be out in the 6-7 hour range, so I'll definitely be hiking a few times. I've been getting in some decent hikes with solid elevation gain over the last little while. The hard thing has been finding a hill that replicates what I'll see in the race. Most of the stuff around me is significantly steeper than what I'll see there. Hopefully after training on these that one won't feel so bad.

There is a 25K option at the race, but that just won't work for me. You see, I've already placed bets about the race with two of my buddies who will be running. Facial hair is on the line and I owe my beard a good fight.

happyfeet, are you running monkey? hahaha! At least my race only has two hills 

Let's keep thinking that the other guy has just as ugly fate ahead and train so as not to die.  Even though Trent keeps reminding us that training for Monkey is futile

some call me Tim

I don't know what your bets are, but I'd say get the long run there more than anything else... just time on your feet on trails. More miles overall is great, but your legs can handle a lot more variation in weekly mileage when you stay off the pavement, and being ready to run well on tired legs (and on irregular surfaces) should probably be at the top of your list if you're set on the 50k. Go for it!