Question for the guys about running in the cold (Read 1391 times)

Scout7

No underwear. I like the glove trick, that amuses me for various and sundry reasons.
    JakeKnight

Gig: Time for a confession: when I first read this thread a couple days ago, I laughed. Thought you were full of horse puckey. I run in shorts sans underwear all the time in 20 degree or colder weather, and this had never happened to me. Not once. I decided you were either hung like a bear and thus more prone to this then us mere mortals ... or you were just a nutter. You can guess what happened. Once again, God proved that His sense of humor is infinite, because the very next day, I'm out for a fast 7 miler ... and just about froze off my tallywhacker. I could not frickin' believe it. I'm having a great run ... and all of a sudden at about mile 6, I realize something's going numb. The pain was bad - but nowhere near as bad as the pain involved when it started warming back up. Ouch. And of course the best part was when I'm standing in the bathroom, groaning in agony, trying to, um, manually thaw my twig and berries ... when my lady love walks in the room. Try explaining that one. My conclusion was that it's the wind more than the cold. I was running much faster than usual, wearing a lesser quality pair of shorts ... maybe the jostling from a faster pace kept the boyz away from the warmth of the rest of me, maybe the shorts are more cotton then my other pairs. All I know for sure is that: 1) I'm not laughing any more, and 2) I'm not ever letting that happen again. And now I have a perfectly valid reason for stuffing a sock down there.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

RUN HARD

I use a designated running hat and stuff it down there. Usually I pack extra goves and hates and let people borrow them if they forget something....BUT NOT MY WHITE HAT!!! Men---you do not want to borrow this hat...TRUST ME....Ladies.....we can talk off line Big grin LOL
        mikeymike

Not sure how you RUN HARD but I would think that alone would keep it from freezing? No? (Sorry, had to be done)

Runners run

RUN HARD

My LIC Plate is RUN HARD I get teased all the time. Also have a bumper sticker that says RUN NAKED. RUN NAKED RUN HARD LIFE IS GOOD 26.2 That's the rear end of my vehicle
            JakeKnight

My LIC Plate is RUN HARD I get teased all the time. Also have a bumper sticker that says RUN NAKED. RUN NAKED RUN HARD LIFE IS GOOD 26.2 That's the rear end of my vehicle
              No comment. None at all. Tight lipped Are you in the 2000 club, by the way? If not, you should join. Regardless of mileage. You would fit right in.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The pain was bad - but nowhere near as bad as the pain involved when it started warming back up.
                Was that you I heard screaming?

Now that was a bath...

Strangely drawn here. Finding it hard to leave. Yes
                • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                    I've run in wind-proof underware for years. Hind makes a great pair, as well as some others. Every running store I've been in will carry this item from Oct to March. A pair of these and winter running pants will keep your tallywacker just fine through the coldest of temps (ran in -1 on Sunday, officially the coldest weather I've run in. The little bit of condensation that built up on the inside of my sunglasses was freezing up before it evaporated!).
                    Run long, run strong
                      Worst case scenario you could always carry a chemical handwarmer. I think I'd try some more layers. Maybe get some moisture wicking drawers and something with fleece or wool on top of that. Anything that will keep you warm if it gets wet.
                        I've used successfully a pair of adidas climaproof response pants for this - which are perfect against strong winds and rain. No problems with cotton+elastan underwear, which is my favourite type. I also use the same pants for skate-XC skiing. This works OK until -10C. I supplement them with a pair of tights for anything lower.