Running a Marathon with no Training (Read 247 times)

rmcj001

I think this is doable, but only 'cuz I mostly did this when I was younger.  Like you I made a bet with a co-worker that I could finish a marathon. In my case it was the SF Marathon back in '78. I was 19 at the time and did it with my 12 year old brother.  We did "train" for it, but our training consisted of 2  12 mile runs (Monday and Wednesday) and a 3 mile run on Friday with the marathon on Sunday. I now know that what ever we did that week didn't help our marathon.  IIRC, we ran the first 17 miles, walked 2 then jog walked the next 3, walked the next 2 miles.  At mile 24 I wanted to run and little bro said he couldn't and I should go ahead. I jogged it in with a time of 4:33. My brother decided he could run after all shortly after we split up and finished in 4:37.  All times back then were gun time and my memory was it took us a couple of minutes to start.  So, 4:30 chip time sounds doable to me.

If I were to attempt something similar these days, I would definitely plan on a run-walk strategy like what Tchuck proposes. I would recommend that you find someone to run with.  My brother was willing to give it a go and my thought process was he would keep me from going out too fast. We encourage each other over the course and how he was feeling actually was of more concern to me then how I was feeling, which I think helped.

Like Surly suggest about cross training, but my understanding is that anything within 10 -14 days won't help, but that doesn't mean they can't hurt.  Tapers are important.

You didn't say how old you are or what current 5K time is -- those would be extremely helpful in providing advice.

Ray

BarryRunsWild

Well you have been running and will continue to run. Are you athletic? What is your age and body composition? Have you done a 5K race at current fitness? Other races? Time?

I can elaborate after you answer the above. My suggestion now is to jog at 9:45 - 10:00 pace and do a 1 min walk break every 10 minutes. You must do walk breaks. You will think they will slow you down but in your case will help you perform better. Trust me. You will need them and remeber you are still going forward while walking and don't lose as much distance as you think.

This strategy should get you in under 4:30 if and a big if you can hold it. Just know those first several miles will likely feel easy like too easy. Well, that would be good because that will end and it will be a mental battle as much as physical as you go along. It will be rough. Do a lot of visualization to prepare yourself for the battle ahead.

I run 3 miles 2-3x a week. I am fairly athletic. I'm 6'3", 185 pounds. I have done a few 5ks. I averaged 7:20 minute miles. Do you have any recommendations on what device I should use to keep track of my time and listen to music? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

BarryRunsWild

Thank you everyone for the responses Smile

zebano

I run 3 miles 2-3x a week. I am fairly athletic. I'm 6'3", 185 pounds. I have done a few 5ks. I averaged 7:20 minute miles. Do you have any recommendations on what device I should use to keep track of my time and listen to music? Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm going to second the Gallo-walk recommendation. You have the raw speed (your 5k is roughly a 3:40 marathon if properly trained) needed but lack the endurance. If you wait until you have to walk, you're screwed. Do something like 5 minute easy run + 1 min walk from the gun and it should be close though I'd be shocked if you make it under 4:30 just because racing a marathon is brutal.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Agree with Zebano.

185 is a fine weight.  No need to drop more.  175 is better, but not necessary.

As for listening: https://aftershokz.com/us/products/xtrainerz  are awesome, but any earbuds and a phone will work for you at your pace.

There are a lot of running Apps to choose from.  Anything will do.  A Timex, paper log, and the run plotter on this sight are plenty, too.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Is the 7.20 pace hard .

how old are you

I would stop lifting and jujitsu the week before the race

BarryRunsWild

Is the 7.20 pace hard .

how old are you

The 7:20 was hard. I will be 33 at race time.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am going to run a marathon 3 months from now with 0 training. 

So......obviously that is not the case as you go to the gym 3 times a week and run 3 miles 2/3 times a week??

I would forget about the bet and spend the next 3 months training properly and setting a goal of under 4 hours. You’ve paid to race a marathon, so at least give it your best shot rather than playing silly games with your buddy.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

So......obviously that is not the case as you go to the gym 3 times a week and run 3 miles 2/3 times a week??

I would forget about the bet and spend the next 3 months training properly and setting a goal of under 4 hours. You’ve paid to race a marathon, so at least give it your best shot rather than playing silly games with your buddy body.

Corrected it for you .

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Depends what the bet is.

Motivation is everything. Well, most things. Correction; a lot of things.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Luciplay

Good luck to you brother, I hope you win and bcome more successful to your chosen endeavor.

davidg123

Hello! As you said, I am not going to give advice. I would be interested in reading about your experience, your feelings. I prepared for my first marathon for a very long time, I trained a lot, and I was very afraid. You can start slowly, you don't need to care about the time. I couldn't listen to music for the first time, but I do it now. Just be ready for a headache. Good luck to you!

Running Problem

Problem Child

So how is training going?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

BarryRunsWild

So how is training going?

I am doing my 3 runs 3x a week and continue to go to the gym and do martial arts. I will post a trip report, as I am running the race on February 14th.