How often do you do speed work? (Read 1197 times)

I've never really done too much work on speed, so I've got a question for you pros. How often do you do speedwork? I read that you're only supposed to do it once a week.
      A typical moderate program will have one speed workout per week (5k-10k pace) intervals, one tempo run per week (30-60 min @ approx. half marathon pace) and one long run per week. Personally, I find the interval stuff makes me more prone to injury, so I'm trying to do the tempos and long runs once per week, and the intervals less often. The physiology is that there are 3 ways to become a better runner. 1) Improve your VO Max - this is done through interval work 2) Improve your lactate threshold - do this in tempos. 3) Improve running economy - long runs. However, this is only after you've built your aerobic engine, which makes you much better all by itself and can be done through a lot of easy miles.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

dfffff

In a typical week, my team does speed work twice and if we have a race we have two speed days and a race day. If you're running competitive, this works fine but I really wouldn't recommend it for a recreational runner. It's hard on the body. Once a week is enough if you're just running for the fun of it.
          speed is addressed by Daniels as a % of weekly miles not to exceed x and I believe my interval work was not to exceed 10% or 6 miles and tempo is less than 5%??? it is all fuzzy so don't quote me on it... my point is that the recommendations for speed work are such that they are a small percentage of your weekly miles... and if you are only running say 12.8 miles in a week or say 20 miles in a week then the amount of speed work you will be doing is going to be very very small... 5% of 12.8 miles is only a bit over 800 meters... My personal opinion (and wish I would have know this before) is to forget the "speed work" until you get a consistent base (another debate) and running 5 days a week... and just do strides after one of your workouts 1-2x per week.

The Greatest of All Time

Keep it simple. If you're new to running stay away from a track. Just do one run per week faster than your normal everday pace. Generically this would be called a tempo run. Typically tempo runs last from 20-60 minutes, not including warm-up and cool down. You should not feel completely wasted after a tempo run but you should be more tired than normal. Over time you can increase the pace of that run or the distance as you become more fit.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            mikeymike

Define : speedwork. Depending on your definition I might be doing it 4 times a week, or perhaps not at all. And if your log is accurate you're a long way from needing to worry about speedwork. Build a big base first.

Runners run

^Yay! I'm glad I don't have to do it yet. It makes me feel like this --> Dead So how big a base do I need?
                  And if your log is accurate you're a long way from needing to worry about speedwork. Build a big base first.
                  Everyone has their own opinion of how much of a base. My opinion is a minimum of 20 MPW for a minimum of 12 weeks......at which point you can start 'thinking about it' and maybe doing 2 miles (MINIMUM) of intervals one time per week....... A lot of people will say that you need a much bigger base (and there are good reasons for thinking so). I base my number of the fact that I started doing speed work at this base 10 weeks ago and am starting to really feel a difference..............the number I gave you I belive to be MINIMUM MPW for considering speed work.. Again lots of peope have great reasons for advising you to have a bigger base....and they are propably right..... Wink Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

I just started thinking about speed myself. Over the past two months I've worked myself up to 3 miles a run. Last week I tried one two-mile tempo run and it was really really hard. I'm going to try one again this week but I'll probably run it a little slower.

The Greatest of All Time

Define : speedwork. Depending on your definition I might be doing it 4 times a week, or perhaps not at all. And if your log is accurate you're a long way from needing to worry about speedwork. Build a big base first.
                      I will reiterate what Mikey wrote and add that before you begin to think about doing serious speedwork you should spend some time working on leg strength either by running hills or in the gym.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

One of my high school XC coaches once told me no speedwork until you're up to 40~45 miles per week. I haven't always followed that, but I've never been injured when I have, and have often gotten hurt when I haven't.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My first glance thought that the question was How often do you do speed at work? So not very often. I haven't done speedwork at all this year. Hope to do some next year.
                          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

TRIing to beat the heat!

My running program is loosely based on the FIRST method of training. I do speedwork twice a week using FIRST prescribed paces. One run is an interval/track repeat run; the other run is a tempo run. My third run is my long run which I do not do at the prescribed FIRST pace... slow and steady on that one for me. FWIW, I started speedwork (and the FIRST program) once I had a 20mpw base. Some say you need more; however, I'm only training for 5k and 10k distances. If you are going for 13.1 or longer, perhaps you would require more of a base before chasing after speed.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Depends entirely upon the season, but I definitely recommend building a base first. The majority of your improvement is going to come from running more miles more often. Speed work is just for getting that extra few seconds to a few minutes depending upon your distance. When you do start with speedwork, start with low volume (pickups and striders) and be sure to get plenty of rest afterwards. If you don't recover, you can't improve, and if you aren't getting paid it isn't worth the risk for the minimal rewards of continual speedwork without adequate recovery.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

Let me put it this way. I've done one interval session in the last 3 years. I do some harder runs, the occasional progression run, what some would call a tempo run. In that time, I've managed to bring down all of my road race times. So really, depending on how you define speed work, my answer could very well be never.