Another question about wt training and running. (Read 780 times)

I just finished my first half and would like to continue getting the same weekly miles in if not more. I gave up wt training completely because I felt running was the priority. I would like to go back to wt training and still get the miles in. How do you balance running and wt training. Do you think your running suffers? My leg workout is mostly squats on the smith machine, single leg lunges and walking lunges,plie squats. I also use the leg machines. I don't do all of these every time, I mix them around. My running days are Monday (if I manage) Wednesday, Friday and Sunday is my long run. I am doing a 12k, a couple of 5k's and my next half is not til March. Just to give you an idea of my training schedule. I also spin for an hour Tuesday and Thursday. I guess I could give up spin to lift if I had to but I love it.Oh yeah, I teach yoga 3 times a week too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Scout7

What are your goals?
        I can't say that I have a specfic goal other than the ones listed. I have always lifted primarily and running has been just a way to get cardio. Since I started putting in more miles, I have found how much I actually enjoy running. I have always had big strong legs. I am just trying to keep them and still get the miles. I want more definition, I would like a more pronounced "swoop" over my knee. Does that help? I used to wt train 3 times a week, fewer reps 12-15 more wt.
        xor

Are you doing any upper body lifting?

Scout7

If you sacrifice running for weight training, your running will suffer. I don't use weights, because I don't like to. What strength training I do is all related to running (hills, mostly). If your goal is to just be happy and healthy, then do what makes you happy and healthy. If your goal is to maximize your running, then that becomes the priority, and you do strength training to compliment it.
              I do upper body. I do shoulder, biceps, triceps. chest, lats. I neglect my ab's terribly. So I guess my question is is running enough? Do I need to lift as well. As I said, I am always looking for more definition. I like my legs big. I just am not sure where to fit it in.

an amazing likeness

I do upper body, 3x per week as maintenance. Just reps of the usual stuff (curls, bench press, military press, etc) to work the arms and shoulders -- I find that this helps me in longer runs, not having the arm and shoulder fatigue. I leave the leg work to the running, except for working on the balance ball with my hamstrings to help strengthen them. I find this a good balance for me, but I'm an middle-aged guy, so your mileage may be different. I guess what I'm really offering is that for overall fitness, I would pay some attention to strength work as well as running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I lift 2-3 times a week (pretty much upper body only for now) Since I'm marathon training I usually do hill work for my legs and that works for me. SInce you're not marathon training I don't see why you can't do 2-3 full body workouts. I try to keep my lifting sessions on either easy running days or on a day off. How many days a week do you run??

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I run three, but am trying to be more consistent with my fourth day.
                      I'm in a similar situation because I usually don't lift during the summer. Now that the cooler weather is here and its dark earlier, I tend to go to the gym more often, but I have been focusing on running this summer and building mileage.. Still deciding how to go about it, but I think I'm going to focus my lifting on upper body and basic core muscles (stomach, lower back and such). And do squats, and other leg muscles less frequently (maybe two times per week) -And I think I am going to reduce my weight and increase my repetitions on anything from the waste down (build more stamina).... -And increase my weight and reduce my reps for anything from the waste up (get stronger)......and see how that goes.... I dont think weight lifting will increase your speed or help you run, but it does a great job of working the opposing muscles....and also, a lot of us runners tend to be twigs in the arms...so this will strengthen the arms and upper body... Its good for you and I know I like lifting (just like running better).

Champions are made when no one is watching