5k Finisher's Medals (Read 320 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

For races under a half marathon, medals are totally unnecessary ... but if I get one, I'm glad to keep it. I like a good race shirt above anything else. At the half marathon and marathon distances, medals are nice. Still, race bibs are the best keepsakes above anything else. I have all my bibs from since I started running again over the past few years.

I don't run races to get stuff - I run to run a damn race. But, I'm glad to receive a medal or some swag if they come with the race. If I'm ever fast enough again to win races, I'll be glad to get a ribbon or something for finishing high in my category. But really ... I'm just interested in time and pushing myself and running the darn race as fast as I can.

(All this being said, the best race swag I've ever receive was a great FIFA sleeveless fleece vest from the Baltimore Ten Miler a few years ago. I don't wear it running, but I wear it all the time during the winter for a little more warmth. I would have run the race whether or not they had good swag, but I am grateful for the vest.)

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

As someone only about 45 minutes out of Columbus...there are lots of races like you're looking for.  I don't personally run many 5Ks (or race a lot, in general).  Check out ORRRC's events.  They're based out of Dayton and dirt cheap, well timed, and most of their events offer ONLY AG/placement awards, no finisher's awards, except for half marathon and higher.

CRRC puts on some decent ones, but far fewer than ORRRC.  They are much closer to you, though, and even have some free, park-run style stuff in the summer

There's a number of local ones here (Logan County), too, that are like that, especially put on by local track and XC teams as fundraisers.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Who wants a medal JUST for finishing. If you win or place then i could see the point, but just for finishing, seriously. What if you were the LAST person across the line, would you want a medal 'cause you suck.

I can think of a number of races where I'd be pretty proud to be the last finisher.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I can think of a number of races where I'd be pretty proud to be the last finisher.

+1

steph  

Joann Y

Just watched this video of the Marathon des Sables last night. That would sure the heck qualify.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

+2

Someone has to be last in every race anyway.

Running is dumb.

I don't really care what the names a race uses for these age groups but I believe in scoring down (such as a 55 year old runner could win the Open, Masters and Seniors awards). I am 30 years old so if I am going to get an award at a race I should need to finish in the top 3 overall . I don't want an award that I didn't earn.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I always think it's a little awkward when some 33 yo dude gets 2AG while finishing 45 OA.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You could always just manually go through the results later and look at the times and ages and then, if you were the first finisher in your age group, you could buy yourself a beer or something.

Or you could skip all that stupid nerd crap and just buy yourself a beer or something.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

FSBD

I appreciate age group awards more than I appreciate finishers medals no matter what the distance is, however unless it's something useful like a pint glass they all just end up in a shoe box in my closet anyway.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm not sure what your complaint is  Perhaps I can help:

Either enter races that offer it....or, get a helluva lot faster and win a local 5k that offers cash......see, it's not that hard.  Frankly, I don't think age groups should even exist.  The last thing I brag about is winning my age group.  If I see the term "competive age grouper"....

I guess anyone over 40 should just stay the hell out of races.

At the race I ran on Saturday, the age group awards were pretty frickin competitive.

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Just watched this video of the Marathon des Sables last night. That would sure the heck qualify.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

steph  

stripling:          yeah you are just an old grump.   if medals, awards, shirts, whatever motivates someone to train & participate/race & get off their butt then i"m all for it!    whether or not they are an elite or slow prodding runner/walker.  I personally don't need any more swag from races at this point to get out & run but its also nice to have some kind of "memonto".    I'm all for everyone to work on a healthy lifestyle.  Alot of the slower runners have come a very long way & even if they "only run a 5k" it can be a huge accomplishment for them.  We all have our own little stories.  I run races mainly to compete with myself & to earn an occasional AG award.  and races are fun!

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I guess anyone over 40 should just stay the hell out of races.

+1

agreed. As someone who just started running in my 50's, I will never be as fast as a 30 year old who started in his teens. Without age group considerations, I have no ability to compete accept with myself. I do mainly compete with myself, but it is also nice to see where I stand against my peers. My peers are not the 14 year old who won the Turkey Trot race where I last raced, in a 16 and change time. I missed a age group pumpkin pie by 10 seconds. That was in st. louis. None of the Columbus races had age group awards. I'm jealous of the New England scene.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

As someone only about 45 minutes out of Columbus...there are lots of races like you're looking for.  I don't personally run many 5Ks (or race a lot, in general).  Check out ORRRC's events.  They're based out of Dayton and dirt cheap, well timed, and most of their events offer ONLY AG/placement awards, no finisher's awards, except for half marathon and higher.

CRRC puts on some decent ones, but far fewer than ORRRC.  They are much closer to you, though, and even have some free, park-run style stuff in the summer

There's a number of local ones here (Logan County), too, that are like that, especially put on by local track and XC teams as fundraisers.

This is great. I'll check it out. I've noticed that Dayton/Cincinati seems to have a better running community than Columbus. The races have much bigger crowds.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental