Stupid Taper - Just venting (Read 737 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I hate the taper. I hate gaining weight and I hate not running. I've got a 6 mile run scheduled tonight 1 mile warmup 4 miles race pace 1 mile cool down and then a bike ride on Wednesday. I hate the bike because I always fall on the stupid thing because I can't get my feet out of the clips in time and somebody always sees me fall. I feel like I didn't train enough and that I need to go out and get some more miles in. I just want to run as fast I can and see if anyone can catch me and then eat a smores and drink a Land Shark. Okay I am done venting. My marathon is on Saturday so thanks for reading.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      I think I am the only one here that loves the taper, but those I run with won't be surprised to hear I'm a little different than most. I loves me some couch time and catching up on missed sleep. I did violate my taper by running a five mile race on Sunday like a jackass, but I just love the company and beer. Hang in there Bearcat, Saturday will be here before you know it. Best of luck!

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

#artbydmcbride

Smile Try to eat lean protein until 2 days before your race. Good luck on Saturday, you will kick azz.

Runners run

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Thanks for the support I really need it. This brings me to another question of what should I be eating. I was thinking lots of protein Today and tomorrow and then carbo loading on Thursday and Friday. Does that make sense?
            2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
            Although it's a bit late now, you might try experimenting with almost no mileage taper in the future. Unless have been feeling beat up from prior training there is really not much need to. Those who run high mileage will usually benefit from a taper, but it often does more harm that good if you haven't. As long as your legs feel good you will probably be o.k. I don't consider myself a high-mileage runner, btw, so I hope I don't come off as condescending. I'm running more now than I have before most marathons and still don't plan to taper mileage a lot for an upcoming marathon. I just try to keep the pace nice and easy when it starts to get really close, with a slight taper during the final week. Not much benefit for the one coming up, but just thought I'd throw it out here as a possible remedy for future suffering. Good luck in your marathon!
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

#artbydmcbride

Thanks for the support I really need it. This brings me to another question of what should I be eating. I was thinking lots of protein Today and tomorrow and then carbo loading on Thursday and Friday. Does that make sense?
              Yes! Smile

Runners run

Yes! Smile
                Hey Ilene; nice marathon you sneaked in. Is there a RR somewhere I missed? Wasn't it your best in a couple years? Good to see you back in the groove.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                Purdey

Self anointed title

Although it's a bit late now, you might try experimenting with almost no mileage taper in the future. Unless have been feeling beat up from prior training there is really not much need to. Those who run high mileage will usually benefit from a taper, but it often does more harm that good if you haven't. As long as your legs feel good you will probably be o.k. I don't consider myself a high-mileage runner, btw, so I hope I don't come off as condescending. I'm running more now than I have before most marathons and still don't plan to taper mileage a lot for an upcoming marathon. I just try to keep the pace nice and easy when it starts to get really close, with a slight taper during the final week. Not much benefit for the one coming up, but just thought I'd throw it out here as a possible remedy for future suffering. Good luck in your marathon!
                  Personally I would listen to what Jim says....a 1:24 half marathon in his sixties.... holy cow! I mean.... freakin' wow!

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Personally I would listen to what Jim says....a 1:24 half marathon in his sixties.... holy cow! I mean.... freakin' wow!
                    Just remember WWJ(Jim)D!
                    JimR

I always felt taper didn't start until about 10 days out, with a bit of a cutback on the midlong for that week. Up until that point it was business as usual. As for the OP, stick with it. You cannot do anything to make you better trained at this point, but you can sure screw up all the training in the last week.
                      JakeKnight

Although it's a bit late now, you might try experimenting with almost no mileage taper in the future.
                        I agree 100%. After a lot of trial and error, I'm convinced that the marathon taper is an element that was intended for high-mileage runners that somehow got translated into plans for average runners - and that following the classic 3-week taper costs most average runners fitness. Plus, there's no taper madness if you don't taper. I have no plans to taper longer than a week, unless I'm steadily running at least 70 mpw. At 40-50 mpw, for me, its just counter-productive. I end up sluggish, bloated, and grumpy. I mean, more than usual. Tongue

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

C-R

I end up sluggish, bloated, and grumpy. I mean, more than usual. Tongue
                          You should try Midol for that.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Short of cutting back my long run (last Sat was only 12.5 mi) and my mid-long from 10 mi to 7 or 8, I really haven't tapered for my marathon on Oct 19. We'll see how it goes. Weekly mileage has dropped to about 40 mi/week this week and last. I may or may not run a couple of easy miles on Sat. I agree with the above that most folks likekly taper too much and think I've likely suffered a loss of fitness in the past for a rigid adherence to the prescribed 3 week taper.
                            seeEricaRun

Awesome

I hate the taper. I hate gaining weight and I hate not running. I feel like I didn't train enough and that I need to go out and get some more miles in. I just want to run as fast I can and see if anyone can catch me and then eat a smores and drink a Land Shark.
                              Ditto. I'm putting on so much weight that I'm starting to feel like I'm carrying an extra me on me.

Bugs

Nobby had suggested once to race a 5K the week before the marathon. I did that and really liked how my legs felt compared to that sluggish feeling. I did the standard Hal Hidgon taper the week before with 3 days off, next time I'm going to keep running. I'm tired of running my best runs in training instead of the marathon.

Bugs