Race report: personal best and a great weekend (Read 625 times)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Last Sunday I ran both my toughest and longest race ever. The Xterra Malibu Creek Challenge was a 14 mile trail race (http://www.trailrace.com/malibu.html ) with tough terrain and elevation change (http://www.trailrace.com/maps/mctc_14mile_profile.gif ). My goal was to finish in 2:37 (11:00/mile pace). I did it in 2:12:45. Big grin I started off banking time whenever I felt good and ended up doing way better than expected. I passed a lot more than passed me on the up hill portions. According to my gps, sometimes my downhill was under a 5 minute pace (Among other muscles, oddly, my bicep tendon is sore from pumping faster than usual for 3 miles downhill.) I even made some friends during and after the run. My prerace warm-up and nutrition was good (oatmeal, tea and a banana). It was a great weekend! Grandpa watched the kids. My dw came and ran the 4 mile trail run. (She was recovering from Boston, but placed 4th in her group anyway.) We drove up early on Friday and stayed in a hotel in Calabasas on Friday and Saturday nights. Other than race morning, we took our time. We used the jacuzzi and pool several times. We took naps. We enjoyed margaritas and nachos, a sushi dinner. We enjoyed ice cream and movies in the hotel room. After 14 miles who cares about calories for the weekend. I returned home rested, but sore. It was a good weekend.
    Find the fun.
      Running, PR performance, DW, scenic route, cocktails, naps, sushi, new friends, jacuzzi, nachos. Any chance you hit the lotto too? Wink Nice job and nice report. Oh, and take me next time. I don't snore. Much.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Other than race morning, we took our time. We used the jacuzzi and pool several times. We took naps. We enjoyed margaritas and nachos, a sushi dinner. We enjoyed ice cream and movies in the hotel room. After 14 miles who cares about calories for the weekend. I returned home rested, but sore. It was a good weekend.
        Crushing your goal sounds really great, but all that other stuff* sounds even better. WTG Mr Lifesabeach! Wink *with the exception of the bait, errr I mean sushi Clowning around

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Ok, now the wife version of the race report, complete with fashion commentary. You did so great honey! You forgot to mention your goal...2:35+ My reactions was NO WAY!!! I knew you had better than that! I guessed you at closer to 2:15 and you even beat my expectations! It was a perfect race day and great conditions...cool, overcast and here's a shot at somewhere near the top of Mike's 22k run. (I stole this from a fellow blogger) I dropped back to the 4mile run because I'm still battling the same injuries I had pre-Boston and haven't run more than a handful of miles in weeks other than Boston. Here's about .10 from the finish. Going with the idea that a race is really just a fashion show, I insisted Mike buy black injinji socks to go with his new trail shoes because the white ones looked too old manish. Blush I ended up winning a pair of black injinjis after the race and the irony is that I will be exchanging them for another white pair. Tongue Here's a post race shot of us together in front of the race map. I ended up wearing one of Mike's shirts since the one I brought to wear, I hated. and yes, the majority of the competition must have gone with the 14mile run because despite starting near the rear of the pack and having every intention of walking the majority of the race, I ended up running the entire thing and doing pretty well in the standings. Although I don't do hills or trails so it feels like I'm recovering from a marathon. Tongue I am SO glad I didn't do the 14 miler. Shocked This is the first time we've done a race together in years...since 2005. It was a lot of fun. Big grin MTA: oops, you did mention your goal. I was paying attention, I swear.

Jennifer mm#1231

Lisa3.1

Great RR's. You guys did Great. Congratulations. and I didn't know you guys are related.

Into the wild

Great job out there TS Smile Are those Inov8s?? The 315 roclites!?? Nice pics: the family that runs together stays together.

Shut up and run

Great job out there TS Smile Are those Inov8s?? The 315 roclites!?? Nice pics: the family that runs together stays together.
                I think they are Mizuno Wave Ascend...or the more technical term I like to use, pretty red trail shoes. Smile

Jennifer mm#1231

Another Passion

Great job, Mike! Congratulations on an awesome race and nice you and DW got to have such a wonderful weekend away together. Smile

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

I think they are Mizuno Wave Ascend...or the more technical term I like to use, pretty red trail shoes. Smile
                    Oh, there will be pay back for that one. The road version of these worked well for me so I tried the trail version. Unfortunately, they're obnoxious looking and LAB knows how I feel about it. They work well for dry conditions. I don't think they would work as well for wet conditions due to drainage issues and a less aggressive tread.
                    Find the fun.