First 100 mile Month!!! (Read 1117 times)

Prophet!

http://www.geocities.com/yanelh/century.html
    yay...i'm printing it out and putting it on my fridge...
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, that's awesome!!! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hi All, just thought I'd throw in that if you're increasing miles at 10% a week (which seems to be the "safe" increase number), your monthly miles add up pretty fast. The montly milage increase ends up being about 46% (for a 4 week month), so if you start with 40 miles a month: Month 1: 40 miles Month 2: 85 miles Month 3: 125 miles Month 4: 183 miles Month 5: 269 miles This is of course assuming you stay on track of 10% a week Big grin. Starting at 50 mile weeks gets you to 100 by month 2.
        Actually, you missed a month: Current month: 40 next month: 59 2 months: 86 3 months: 126 However, this assumes a constant 10% increase, which is not recommended. I've always read that every 4th week you should rest/recover. So, assuming a 10% increase each week with every 4th week dropping to 90% of the previous week: 40, 48, 57, 69, 82, 99, 118, etc. Thus, you would reach a 100 month in 7 months. (For those interested this starts at 8.6 miles per week, which with 10% increases makes a 40 mile month). I think this would be a better goal. I agree with JakeKnight on this -- I'm nursing a strained achiles tendon, and my previous 6 months were 56, 40, 55, 121, 103, and now 73 with the injury.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey!! I made it! 101.0 miles! Cool LOL! This is so funny! It certainly wasn't on purpose!

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I managed 111.8. You know what would be fun...if we all were to bet on the first day of each month on how many miles we estimate we will run in that coming month...then whomever guesses their end-of-month mileage closest without going over could get a special avatar or some other goofy prize. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

That'd be too easy! You could just plan it out and run *up to* that amount and then stop, wherever you were in the month. Nah. I'd rather see an award for most consecutive number of months run without an injury! Or most injury-free miles. Or something like that.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...true. Though we could always be covert with our injuries, too. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Congrats on all of you centarians! I only logged 86.something this month. My half marathon is coming up October 14th so I am sure I can join all of you in October. Yes
                    I'm part of a group over on SparkPeople.com where we all set a monthly goal and then try to reach it. I always try to guess as close as I can so that I have to push to get there, but not tooooo much. September's goal was 60 miles. I ran 49.9 miles, having spent a week on the sick list and then another week working back from being sick. So October's goal is still 60 miles. Can't wait til I hit a 100 mile month!
                    JakeKnight

Month 1: 40 miles Month 2: 85 miles Month 3: 125 miles Month 4: 183 miles Month 5: 269 miles This is of course assuming you stay on track of 10% a week Big grin.
                      Any beginning runner - scratch that, make that any runner, period - who tries to go from 10 miles a week (a 5-k or so 3 times a week) to almost 70 miles a week (10 miles a day, every single day) in the space of 5 months is going to need a doctor. A whole team of them. Or a mortician. Maybe a psychiatrist, too. Clowning around That "10%" that's cited is definitely not a "safe" number - it's a recommended *maximum* increase in mileage in a week. Meaning you'd be wise not to go past it. And it doesn't mean you can do that every week, obviously - otherwise you'd be running thousand mile weeks eventually. Shocked Most experts actually suggest keeping your base mileage the same and increasing just your weekly or bi-weekly LONG run by no more than 10%, before slowly increasing overall mileage - and stopping at a point that makes sense. For most runners, anything over 30-40 miles a week or so is probably nothing more than an invitation to injury. Quality over quantity.
                      However, this assumes a constant 10% increase, which is not recommended. I've always read that every 4th week you should rest/recover. So, assuming a 10% increase each week with every 4th week dropping to 90% of the previous week: 40, 48, 57, 69, 82, 99, 118, etc. Thus, you would reach a 100 month in 7 months. (For those interested this starts at 8.6 miles per week, which with 10% increases makes a 40 mile month). I think this would be a better goal. I agree with JakeKnight on this -- I'm nursing a strained achiles tendon, and my previous 6 months were 56, 40, 55, 121, 103, and now 73 with the injury.
                      I've always heard that, too. And I try to follow that advice - and usually fail. Galloway actually recommends in a 4-week cycle decreasing mileage by 50% in the second week and 30% in the fourth week. (Or maybe that's backwards). And now the irony: just like you, I ignored all that good advice. Jumped from a 90+ mile month to a 140+ mile month, with a 42+ mile week last week ... and now I'm hurt. Pushed right through the pain yesterday, broke my PB on my daily 7-miler by a whopping 3-minutes ... and now my big toe feels like a small shark is nibbling on it. A small but hungry shark. How very stupid I am. No long run for me today, thanks to not following my own advice. Wonder if I'll ever learn.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------