shingles??? (Read 721 times)

wbertha

Anyone out there running who has ever been stricken with shingles??? How long did your recovery take? Any and all tips and hints appreciated. Two weeks since diagnosis and still struggling. wbertha
      I got them last March, but I wasn't running at the time. I got it on my left leg. Weird illness I must say. I think getting it on my leg was easier then getting it on the midsection. However, I was already off from running for 2 months since I was battling many illnesses this past winter, the shingles could have been the last sign of a depressed immune system. I didn't start back running until mid April (about a month), but that wasn't because of the shingles but other things. The blisters went away in about a week. The pain/burning sensation went a way in a couple of weeks. The lymph nodes in my leg and hip area went back to normal in about 3 weeks. I think you can run through it (barring the pain), but I would keep it real easy. I have no after effects right now, but when I ever I see a red spot on my leg....
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Shingles is caused by the virus that gave you Chicken Pox as a kid. It never left you, even after you recovered. It has been hanging out in your spinal cord waiting for an inopportune time to jump out and cause a ruckus. When Shingles strikes, the blisters go through an approximate 10-12 day cycle. Usually you get tingling and blisters first and fire-like pain later. The blisters are usually gone by 14 days but the pain can last weeks. Rarely, the pain can last months or years and requires medication. If you are immunosuppressed, it may all last longer. The main treatments are antivirals and steroids, both of which have only a minor minor impact of disease duration and severity. Pain control with ibuprofen and occasionally narcotics is the mainstay. You are contagious until the last blister is crusted over. You cannot give other people shingles. If you pass the virus, you cause the next person to get chicken pox. They can only catch the virus if they have never had chicken pox (or the vaccine). Most people will get shingles only once. Rarely you can get it a second time, but if you do, you need to worry about whether you may be immunosuppressed. Feel better!
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck! I hope you recover quickly. My husband got shingles when he was 41. The same day he was diagnosed with it, our nine-week-old son was hospitalized with RSV (a respiratory virus that's usually not a problem, but can cause babies to have difficulty breathing). So we were stressed out that the baby might have gotten chicken pox, plus DH was not allowed to go to the hospital at all during the six-day stay. On top of all of that, DH had gotten laid off from his engineering job and was in the middle of interviewing for a new position and we had to make decisionis that week! And we had a 2-year-old son at home, also. Looking back on it, I wonder how we survived at all. It was hell. But the good news was that DH recuperated fairly quickly and has had no problems since. Whew!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had it on my belly almost a year ago. I started with a couple of days of intense tingling, then the itching, then the blisters. I went on anti-virals immediately and my blisters never ruptured. Apparently it was caught early. I never had much in the way of pain and have had no side-effects. I was pretty lucky. My brother also thinks he had shingles a few years back, but he never got checked out (typical male Roll eyes ) and his were much more painful and took longer to heal. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I went on anti-virals immediately and my blisters never ruptured. Apparently it was caught early.
              Well, um, not likely due to the antivirals. They may reduce the total duration of illness from say 10 days down to about 9 days 22.4 hours. They don't do much in shingles. And blister rupturing is unrelated to course and severity. Wink
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, um, not likely due to the antivirals. They may reduce the total duration of illness from say 10 days down to about 9 days 22.4 hours. They don't do much in shingles. And blister rupturing is unrelated to course and severity. Wink
                Ahhh... It's weird, though, I thought the blister ruption was sort of a given, but just when I thought mine were about to they started shrinking. I think I got VERY lucky. I know some folks can have pain and issues from shingles for years. I have a friend who had them on her face and she was really worried for her eyes. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I had the shingles in January of 2004. It was the January right after I was laid off by AT&T. The funny thing was that I had just celebrated my 10 year anniversary with AT&T, I had gotten a watch with a picture of Goldenboy on it along with a certificate from C. Michael Armstrong. Then, with typical telephone company efficiency, I was laid off. So I was looking arround for a job, and running down at the track and on the treadmill and I was starting to feel a pain on the back of my head. It was keeping me up at night, I saw my family doctor and the first time he didn't know what was causing it. I started looking at sites on the computer like WebMD and started scaring myself thinking that maybe I had cancer or something. I got worse and then it started to scab over. when I returned to see Dr. Winters for a second time he then recognized it as shingles. He gave me this medication that made me feel dizzy and I threw up a lot, and then he gave me something else to counteract the dizzyness. Eventually I felt better and got a temp job working at a Psychiatric Hospital. Roll eyesYou are probably wondering why they ever let me out of there. I read someplace--I'm not sure that it is true, if you have to have shingles at all it is better to have them before you are 50 then after. If so, then I caught a break.
                  I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                    Most people will get shingles only once. Rarely you can get it a second time, but if you do, you need to worry about whether you may be immunosuppressed.
                    That's good to know. I had a very mild case a number of years ago (around my beltline on one side). I know people who have had it pretty bad, especially on their neck/face, and was wondering if I could be in for a repeat some day.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"