Train for the mile (Read 105 times)

Does anyone here specifically trains for the mile?  or has gone through a training cycle with the mile as the primary goal?  If so can you provide an rough training outline for the distance.

I have a 6:48 PR, but was a soft PR from 6-7 years ago on a sandy, short (280 m) dirt track, done with minimal training for the distance. If I have a chance of getting anywhere near my PR's I think it's the mile, as I think I still have the pace, but not the endurance for 5k or above distances.  Will try to get my mileage higher than in the recent past, but having a specific goal is extra motivating. If I can run a sub 7 mile this year, I will consider that a win.

You should definitely move to a cabin in the woods, run a hundred miles a week on dirt roads, and run quarters barefoot on a dirt track that you marked out yourself in an empty field.

Runners run

Thought about it.  The himalayas are calling.  Annapurna circuit has nice runnable trails.

MTA, I believe I asked this question 5 years ago, but getting old and stuff.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

How old are you?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

FYI you ran 6:35 pace for 2 miles in 2012 so your mile PR clearly isn't 6:48.

You can bang this out in a few weeks.

1. Run more

2. Do some 400s or something once a week and do strides once a week

3. Enter a mile race

mta: ok that 2-miles was severely downhill but still. This seems extremely doable

Runners run

Thanks Mikey.

While that run in 2012 was falling off a mountain, it was the second run in 8 hours, with another big uphill run coming up in the next 8-10 hours in the back of my mind, so don't think was an all out effort.  That said I cannot hit paces from back in 2012 within a min/mile for any distance. The obvious reason is mileage and not racing as frequently.

One plan I did come across has  2 X 800 at mile pace in first week (pace determined by a Mile TT on day 1), progressing to 6 X 400 at mile pace (1:00 jog recovery) by week 4, which I thought was a bit too much.

I plan on building to atleast 30 miles a week and as you suggest will finish off some runs with some strides.  Let's see how the next 4-8 weeks go.

Prince of Fatness

If I have a chance of getting anywhere near my PR's I think it's the mile, as I think I still have the pace, but not the endurance for 5k or above distances. 

My limited experience with the mile is that endurance is required to run a good one.

Not at it at all. 

From the Internet.

I'm in a mile-specific block right now. Strides 1-2x/week, hill sprints once a week (do them at the end of the run, preferably, but middle is OK too as long as you're plenty warmed up. Focus on lift rather than speed.). Track workout once a week, something else fast but low-key as a B workout on a 4th day (usually some sort of time-based pickup on the road, but I've been running a fair amount of quality for the last several months so one workout is probably plenty for you at this time). Weekend long run, not too long, nice and easy.

revisiting the glory days,   These if I recall were with 100 m jog recovery, starting new interval every 3 minutes.

Type Distance Duration Elapsed Time Pace Notes
                      1 Interval 0.12 mi 0:49.01 0:49.01 6:49  
                      2 Interval 0.12 mi 0:46.49 1:35.50 6:28  
                      3 Interval 0.12 mi 0:43.63 2:19.13 6:04  
                      4 Interval 0.12 mi 0:40.60 2:59.73 5:39  
                      5 Interval 0.12 mi 0:40.16 3:39.89 5:35  
                      6 Interval 0.12 mi 0:40.54 4:20.43 5:38

I think I will pull something if I try this today.

kilkee

runktrun

I'm in a mile-specific block right now. Strides 1-2x/week, hill sprints once a week (do them at the end of the run, preferably, but middle is OK too as long as you're plenty warmed up. Focus on lift rather than speed.). Track workout once a week, something else fast but low-key as a B workout on a 4th day (usually some sort of time-based pickup on the road, but I've been running a fair amount of quality for the last several months so one workout is probably plenty for you at this time). Weekend long run, not too long, nice and easy.

Good summary of approach for mile training.

And yes, you'll need to build endurance.  If you're wary of something as long as a 5k, then you're not in the right place for a mile, either.  Not 20mi long run endurance, but work up to 8-10mi.

Track workouts I've done in a 5k block with a heavy side of miles are:

7 x 300 "relaxed sprint" so basically close to mile pace on 1:00 rest - pace them so 1:00 is adequate rest

3 sets 5 x :30-:20-:10 continuous, at half marathon pace, 5k pace, relaxed sprint - good for gear changed in a race, and some science points to improved VO2max

8 x 200 at mile pace - do this more than once in a training block and reduce the rest to simulate an actual mile race

tempos - comfortably hard, don't dig yourself into a hole with these

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

If I can get my running back on track in 2019

i think will train to run a fast mile also.

i do all my training on trails but there is a flat soccer field that I will use for my mile .

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Lane

I trained primarily for the mile 2009-2011.  I don't remember what I was doing back then but I ran a lot and it's all written down, conveniently in my online running log on Running ahead for the whole world and internet to look at.  I do remember that it seemed like every track workout started with a failed attempt to run 400-600-400-200 at mile goal pace with 200m jogging recovery between reps.

I don't know how applicable it will be to you.  Maybe you can tone back the workouts and mileage to fit your needs.

DanMoriarity

I'm training for the mile now for the first time since university.(I'm 50) My training revolves around 2 key interval workouts per week: a long reps session such as 6x800m, or 5x1000m or 4x1200m at 3k-5k pace with 3 minutes between reps and a short reps session of 10x200m with 1 min rest at 800m race pace or 10x400m with 2 min rest at mile race pace. The other days are 40-60 minutes of easy running (usually 40) at whatever pace feels comfortable.

Thanks all, for the advice and workout ideas.

10x200m with 1 min rest at 800m race pace or 10x400m with 2 min rest at mile race pace. 

10 X 400 at mile race pace would likely kill me (may try with longer rests).  4-6 maybe.  Never even done 10 X 400 at 5K pace