10 year old running a 1/2 marathon... thoughts? (Read 2887 times)

So did they sign him up or not? I ask because we ended up signing up, and will be there in Indy as well...my  will be 12 YO and 10 YO sons will be running the half.

Good question. 

They decided not to run the mini-Indy, and focus on 5k & 10k for this spring. 
    He had some minor pain (& fatigue) a couple months ago, and they decided that he could easily wait until next year.

Thanks,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

mep5555

Good question. 

They decided not to run the mini-Indy, and focus on 5k & 10k for this spring. 
      He had some minor pain (& fatigue) a couple months ago, and they decided that he could easily wait until next year.

Thanks,

Good luck to him in all his future running endeavors!

update: He's now 12 years old, and he waited until today to run his first half marathon (the Mini Indy).

He's been running since the original post (joined a team and has a coach).

He finished mini Indy in 1:44Tight lippedx, and came in 6th place in his age group.

Super excited for him and proud of him.

Thanks for the comments and recommendations from 2011.  They were valuable.  The delay allowed him to enjoy some shorter races and allow him to really embrace, enjoy, and race this race.

Cheers,
        Brian

Life Goals:

Nice job!!

I presume his uterus didn't fall out? An no parent was arrested for child abuse? How about the 5 kids in his AG ahead of him?

Nice job!!

I presume his uterus didn't fall out? An no parent was arrested for child abuse? How about the 5 kids in his AG ahead of him?

That's correct.  Nope. And, not that I know of.  Smile

Life Goals:

BeeRunB

Wow, that's awesome, Brian.

Tell him some anonymous dude on the internet said that he's jealous of his 1:44. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

update: He's now 12 years old, and he waited until today to run his first half marathon (the Mini Indy).

He finished mini Indy in 1:44Tight lippedx, and came in 6th place in his age group.

Thanks for the comments and recommendations from 2011.  They were valuable.  The delay allowed him to enjoy some shorter races and allow him to really embrace, enjoy, and race this race.

Cheers,
                Brian

Fantastic!  Great time for a 12 y/o.  Um, one I haven't yet achieved. Smile

Feeling the growl again

Cheers,
                  Brian

Nice!  I didn't run my first HM until 22.  I hope he had a good experience.  If he's local and enjoys car racing it's a unique experience circling the track.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bap

Single age records - Half-Marathon

5y319d  3:02:57.5 Matthew Feibush (USA) 19 Jun 2007 04 May 2013 Irvine CA USA

6y364d  2:19:48 Cael Schwartz (USA) 02 Feb 2007 01 Feb 2014 Surprise AZ USA

7y335d  1:43:53.0 Dallas Stricker (USA) 05 May 2006 05 Apr 2014 Hattiesburg MS USA

8y138d  1:55:42 Drew Dahlin (USA) 20 Dec 2001 16 May 2010 Green Bay WI USA

9y352d  1:41:07 William Stone (USA) 08 Mar 2004 23 Feb 2014 Tampa FL USA

10y143d  1:38:54 Drew Dahlin (USA) 20 Dec 2001 20 May 2012 Green Bay WI USA

11y 80d  1:24:10 Hunter Perez (USA) 31 Oct 2002 19 Jan 2014 Houston TX USA

12y107d  1:21:16 Anders Trygg (SWE) 29 Jan 1975 16 May 1987 Göteborg SWE

13y 81d  1:18:53 Jacob Bragg (AUS) 15 May 2000 04 Aug 2013 Brisbane AUS

14y183d  1:16:14 Mitch Kingery (USA) 03 Jul 1956 02 Jan 1971 Madera CA USA

15y101d  1:02:44 Alene Reta (ETH) 25 Jun 1982 04 Oct 1997 Kosice SVK

16y316d  1:00:45 Faustin Baha (TAN) 30 May 1982 11 Apr 1999 Vitry-sur-Seine FRA

17y 76d  59:57 Eric Ndiema (KEN) 28 Dec 1992 14 Mar 2010 The Hague NED

18y305d  59:15.8 Samuel Wanjiru (KEN) 10 Nov 1986 11 Sep 2005 Rotterdam NED

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

bap

I think it's a lot for a 10 year old's body.  He wants to do it but he doesn't really understand the wear and tear on his body.  He could be setting himself up for injuries as a future runner.  There must be some research out there, or perhaps the parents could make an appointment with a physician who is also a runner to get some professional feedback.  I let my boy run a 10k at that age but I told him 14 or 15 before a half marathon.  He has his whole life to run, why risk an injury so early in life

I played soccer on a full size pitch from the time I was about 8 years old and rugby from probably around 11 or earlier. Soccer included about 20 minutes warm-up and 2 45 minute halves, rugby 20 minutes throwing the ball around and catching kicks followed by 2 x 40 minute halves, tackling, scrimmaging (whenever I was a forward), sprinting etc.

If we were playing at home we'd finish the game walk a home. Then I'd go running with the dog.

I've played in sub-freezing temperatures with snow and ice on the pitch in a t-shirt and shorts, or plowed through mud for 80 minutes in the late winter and early spring.

And we'd play every week. Sometimes we'd play soccer twice a week and a game of rugby. Add training plus 2 one hour gym lessons, plus playing soccer or cricket, or cycling every chance I got.

That's what kids do.

8 year-old full contact rugby.

Certified Running Coach
                      Crocked since 2013

Vader Herder

I'd suggest to Mom and Dad that they try to keep the pace easy and fun for him during the race.  Start with him far back in the pack, as in that particular race this will guarantee he can't blow the door off at the start.  A few longer runs in practice would be good, but since he's not racing for performance here I'd be careful about some big training plan at that age.

Other than that, I did far dumber things at that age.  I can't see how a single HM is a big deal that will wreck him, I assume he has proper running shoes and all.

This. My ten year old is BEGGING me to let him run a HM with me this fall, but I'm loathe to do it. He's got a naturally perfect gait and doesn't tire out, but he's not careful with his ankles (already one sprain last year that he's re-injured) and he's too competitive. He ignores his pacing if he thinks someone is 'beating' him.

I'll let him go with me on training runs, even the longer ones, but I think I'm going to cap his mileage at 10 until he gets a bit older.

ETA: Just saw the update

"He finished mini Indy in 1:44Tight lippedx, and came in 6th place in his age group."

I have to say I'll probably make my 10 y/o wait until he's twelve to run a race of significant distance.

River Run Half Marathon, 09/07/14 - my 39th birthday!

Youth Challenge 5K 09/14/2013  36:41.2

Stomp the Grapes Half-Marathon Relay 11/5/2011 

TripleBock

Sounds like a lot of hard hits, but soft surfaces

I played soccer on a full size pitch from the time I was about 8 years old and rugby from probably around 11 or earlier. Soccer included about 20 minutes warm-up and 2 45 minute halves, rugby 20 minutes throwing the ball around and catching kicks followed by 2 x 40 minute halves, tackling, scrimmaging (whenever I was a forward), sprinting etc.

If we were playing at home we'd finish the game walk a home. Then I'd go running with the dog.

I've played in sub-freezing temperatures with snow and ice on the pitch in a t-shirt and shorts, or plowed through mud for 80 minutes in the late winter and early spring.

And we'd play every week. Sometimes we'd play soccer twice a week and a game of rugby. Add training plus 2 one hour gym lessons, plus playing soccer or cricket, or cycling every chance I got.

That's what kids do.

8 year-old full contact rugby.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Village people

Cheers,
                            Brian

That is awesome and I think giving him that time to learn to enjoy running (all sports, really) was a smart move.