Hello Everybody (Read 75 times)

AbnormalSpring

Hello My name is Richard and I have just started running this week. I am mainly running to lose weight but would like to run a race next year. I have not decided on a distance yet as I am not sure what distance I will be capable of. I have til Oct to get into shape for it though.

A little about me I am 35 and I weigh 309 pounds 6ft tall. I quit smoking last January after 22 years it was a little rough to stop but I went from 2 packs a day to 0. I just woke up one morning and said screw it I am done. About 2 months ago I went from a 5th of whiskey + a day to maybe 2-3 beers a week. Drinking is proving harder to quit than smoking never saw that one coming. I assumed when I quit drinking heavily I would lose weight but I didn't I also didn't put any weight on. But i would like to get back down to what I weighed when I was in my 20's 240 Pounds.

Now some people may think that's still a little heavy but at 240 I had a 32 inch waist. At 309 I have a 40 inch waist maybe I wont look the same but I still have my JNCO's and would love to be able to fit back into them oh the nostalgia.

Anyway my plan to start running is 100 meters at a easy pace and 300 meters of walking repeat 3 times. Then 200 x 200 - 300 x 100 - then 400 - 800 - 1200 - 1600. Hopping that at the end of this in 2 weeks I will be able to run a steady mile. After that I don't know what to do but I plan on figuring it out.

Anyway it's nice to be a joining this community and hope to learn a lot from everybody.

SMART Approach

Hey Richard, Good for you making some big lifestyle changes. Take it very slow with your running process to allow your body to adapt. Don't rush the process or injury risk increases big time. I am happy to send you my 14 week structured beginner running plan at no charge that builds slowly and safely taking you step by step. Message me if interested. Also, incorporate strength work into your plan.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

Good on you for quitting smoking.  The people I know who have quit smoking have all gained weight afterwards.  Maybe that's why you haven't noticed weight loss from cutting back alcohol?  Whatever you do, take it slow and easier than you think you need to do.  Also, make it a habit to continue putting your run sessions here on the RA log, I find just building my log to be very motivating all by itself!  Good luck and welcome to RA.

TJoseph

A fifth of whiskey a day is a lot. I can imagine that would be hard to quit. For losing the weight, you will probably need to change your diet along with the running. Even for a big guy like yourself, you will probably only burn a couple of hundred calories per mile.

AbnormalSpring

Good on you for quitting smoking.  The people I know who have quit smoking have all gained weight afterwards.  Maybe that's why you haven't noticed weight loss from cutting back alcohol?  Whatever you do, take it slow and easier than you think you need to do.  Also, make it a habit to continue putting your run sessions here on the RA log, I find just building my log to be very motivating all by itself!  Good luck and welcome to RA.

I found it odd that I didn't gain any weight when I quit smoking. I'm sure that the sudden changes have probably thrown parts of my body into shock. I plan on keeping the log up to date. That way I have something to look back towards for motivation.

AbnormalSpring

A fifth of whiskey a day is a lot. I can imagine that would be hard to quit. For losing the weight, you will probably need to change your diet along with the running. Even for a big guy like yourself, you will probably only burn a couple of hundred calories per mile.

Looking back at it I spent a lot of money building up that tolerance. My main motivator to quit drinking is liver failure. Though it was caught so early that they think it will be reversible with some med's and cutting back. They didn't ask me to quit but I figured it would be for the best. Now I am just bored all the time I gave up all my unhealthy habits that took up my time. I do find myself pacing a lot trying to figure out what to do. With everything closed I figured I would pick up running a inexpensive hobby.

Also for my diet I am not sure what to change about it. I don't eat unhealthy stuff really I think just living a lethargic lifestyle is more to blame for the weight. I have an office job so I sit for 12 hours then would go home and sit and get drunk for a few hours then go to bed.. Hoping that a week or two of running will drop me down a pound or so. I am trying to not set unrealistic expectations of losing 10 pounds a month but maybe be down to 270ish by next October for the Marathon.

an amazing likeness

First, congratulations on choosing to invest in your self and your future health!  There is no doubt it will pay dividends.

I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice, however, which is to ignore running. I genuinely am concerned focusing on running will set you up for failure and a more flexible goal will better help get your journey started and embedded as a new habit.  You need a new habit of exercise, and running can certainly be a part of that, however the habit of exercise needs to be nurtured and grown. Were we sitting across from each other sharing one of the few beers and you asked my advice, here's what I'd offer...

Get outside for 1 hour each day. Every day. Walk some days, jog some days, mix it up...if you're low energy one day, just walk around taking in the sights, sounds and smells. If you're feeling great, walk briskly and mix in some jogging.  The goal isn't distance or speed, the goal is get out and move for 1 hour each day. Every day. No excuses. Do this for days, then weeks, then months...make it part of who you are.

Over time what you do with that hour will change and it may be running that becomes your new jam.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AbnormalSpring

First, congratulations on choosing to invest in your self and your future health!  There is no doubt it will pay dividends.

I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice, however, which is to ignore running. I genuinely am concerned focusing on running will set you up for failure and a more flexible goal will better help get your journey started and embedded as a new habit.  You need a new habit of exercise, and running can certainly be a part of that, however the habit of exercise needs to be nurtured and grown. Were we sitting across from each other sharing one of the few beers and you asked my advice, here's what I'd offer...

Get outside for 1 hour each day. Every day. Walk some days, jog some days, mix it up...if you're low energy one day, just walk around taking in the sights, sounds and smells. If you're feeling great, walk briskly and mix in some jogging.  The goal isn't distance or speed, the goal is get out and move for 1 hour each day. Every day. No excuses. Do this for days, then weeks, then months...make it part of who you are.

Over time what you do with that hour will change and it may be running that becomes your new jam.

Appreciate the advice I have actually gone out and bought some base layers because how cold it gets where I live in the winter. Now I don't have the excuse of its cold. out. I have been going outside more and walking I found out a few days ago that there is actually 2 nature walk's with in walking distance of my house. Lived here 5 years almost and had no idea they existed till a elderly couple i walked by asked if that's where I was walking to.

I am hoping to find more things to do once I get back home in a few weeks. I have been thinking about buying a Bicycle to cover more ground faster while I'm exploring my neighborhood. Only down fall to that so far is I had no idea bikes have weight limits. I find that to be odd for some reason. Not sure how much more weight they can handle but the style of commuter bike I have been looking at is 280 so I am thinking of getting it now and seeing how it holds up once I get to 300 even. Also when did bikes get so expensive I can get a Indoor trainer for a 1/4 of the price of some of the bikes I looked at.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am hoping to find more things to do once I get back home in a few weeks. I have been thinking about buying a Bicycle to cover more ground faster while I'm exploring my neighborhood. Only down fall to that so far is I had no idea bikes have weight limits. I find that to be odd for some reason. Not sure how much more weight they can handle but the style of commuter bike I have been looking at is 280 so I am thinking of getting it now and seeing how it holds up once I get to 300 even. Also when did bikes get so expensive I can get a Indoor trainer for a 1/4 of the price of some of the bikes I looked at.

Bikes might seem $$, upfront...but I'm pushing 21k miles on my road bike and the cost/mile is down to about 13¢...though I guess it's more than that, as it's on its 2nd drivetrain and we upgraded that (it came with a mix of SRAM Rival and Force and is now entirely Force). Plus the wheels were low-rent and have also been upgraded. Maybe it's more like 20¢/mile, but it's been worth every penny and has taken me across the state of MI 3x, through Death Valley 2x, along the Mississippi near LaCrosse, WI, around Lake Tahoe, part of the Natchez Trace, Amelia Island, FL, around the county where I grew up in WI, etc. I have other bikes, but that one's my favorite and the one I ride the most and have made the most memories with.

As far as strength, steel and titanium bikes are beefier than aluminum or carbon. And/or a gravel-specific frame. They're designed to take a beating moreso than a road or hybrid frame will. My DH's first serious road bike (carbon) developed a hairline crack near the seatpost. He was heavier when he first started riding...probably 250-275ish #s. Specialized was awesome and replaced the frame, even after the warranty had expired. Nowadays he's mostly on a Ti or steel frame. I think that crack made him a little gunshy of carbon. We've had some lightweight friends develop similar cracks on carbon bikes, too. My theory is that our potholed roads are a major factor.

Welcome to RA! You've found yourself 2 great sports. If you fall in love with both, maybe check out some duathlons, once you've built up some significant fitness. They're great motivation for consistent training.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AbnormalSpring

Welcome to RA! You've found yourself 2 great sports. If you fall in love with both, maybe check out some duathlons, once you've built up some significant fitness. They're great motivation for consistent training.

Never heard of a Duathlons I may look into that if I end up enjoying riding. Just not sure if I should spend a $1,000 plus or if I should buy a cheap road bike and upgrade if I end up enjoying it. But I may end up holding off since it is winter or watching Craigslist unless I find a better used bike market place. Figure bicycle market may be like motorcycle with price drops in the off season.

Thanks for the Duathlon suggestion. I am actually going to go see if they have them in the Kansas City Area.

TJoseph

I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker that I use as my commuter bike. The LHT is a touring bike, but they are built like a tank and it is the most comfortable bike that I own (I own a lot of bikes).  I think that heavier riders tend to pop spokes more than anything else. A touring bike is designed to carry the rider and all their camping gear, so the wheels are built stronger. The LHT has a steel frame and is rated for 300lbs. There is also a version with disc brakes called the disc trucker. It is not a cheap bike, but you are saving a lot of money on cigarettes and whiskey.

TJoseph

Also for my diet I am not sure what to change about it. I don't eat unhealthy stuff really I think just living a lethargic lifestyle is more to blame for the weight. I have an office job so I sit for 12 hours then would go home and sit and get drunk for a few hours then go to bed.. Hoping that a week or two of running will drop me down a pound or so. I am trying to not set unrealistic expectations of losing 10 pounds a month but maybe be down to 270ish by next October for the Marathon.

Well, you don't have to change what you eat, just how much you eat.  Of course, if you are putting in the kind of miles needed to train for a marathon (40-60 miles per week), you will lose weight as long as you don't start eating more.  However, I have found it is worth dieting for the first 3-4 months. You can easily lose 10lbs a month with dieting and exercise and running is a lot easier if you are not carrying an extra 40lbs with you.

TJoseph

Also, you mentioned that you are bored after work. Another great hobby, if you are mechanically inclined, is to work on your own bicycles. You can buy a used bike from Craigslist and refurbish or upgrade it yourself. You can even buy a frame and build it from the frame up.  There are a few specialized tools that you would need to buy, but they aren't that complicated to work on and there are many Youtube videos to help. The Park Tools videos are great.  Fixing up a bike can be a great winter project.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Never heard of a Duathlons I may look into that if I end up enjoying riding. Just not sure if I should spend a $1,000 plus or if I should buy a cheap road bike and upgrade if I end up enjoying it. But I may end up holding off since it is winter or watching Craigslist unless I find a better used bike market place. Figure bicycle market may be like motorcycle with price drops in the off season.

Some triathlon events offer a duathlon option, so that's the first place to look. In a sprint du you'll run the 5k leg twice, with a 25k bike leg in the middle (distances may not be exact, depending upon the event).

Buying a used bike might be your only option. Bicycle shops have really struggled to get new bikes in since early in the pandemic. Though that means you may pay a relatively high price for a used bike, much like what is happening with automotive industry.

The thing with cheap bikes is that you're more likely to experience mechanical frustrations. A frame equipped with SRAM Rival or Shimano 105 would be a great place to start. Those are very reliable drivetrains that are more-or-less heavier versions of pricier drivetrains (ie SRAM Force or Red, Shimano Ultegra or Dura-Ace).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AbnormalSpring

I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker that I use as my commuter bike. The LHT is a touring bike, but they are built like a tank and it is the most comfortable bike that I own (I own a lot of bikes).  I think that heavier riders tend to pop spokes more than anything else. A touring bike is designed to carry the rider and all their camping gear, so the wheels are built stronger. The LHT has a steel frame and is rated for 300lbs. There is also a version with disc brakes called the disc trucker. It is not a cheap bike, but you are saving a lot of money on cigarettes and whiskey.

I looked up that bike and it was priced rather well in my opinion but it has been discontinued. One of my co-workers has a few road bike's but with mountain bike handle bars. I am going to see if he wants to sell one as he always complains about them taking up room in his garage. They are Treks so I could possibly upgrade the frame and nickle and dime myself into a style that I want.