I did it! BQ, FINALLY! (Read 1420 times)

Congrats on the BQ KD. I wouldn't say you necessarily need more long runs (Those were all plenty long enough). I think you would find more benefit in just running more.. the long runs will naturally all get longer from running more (you know that suggested 20-30% of weekly mileage bit) and maybe build up to a 20 miler with last 10 @MP. Have fun in April! Smile

Goals: To keep running regardless of what happens.

nice work Dave -- congrats!

2012= under-goaled

theyapper

On the road again...

Good write-up.  Great race.  Thanks for the inspiration.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Go Pre!

I got in to work today, sat at my computer, pulled up my outlook calendar, skipped ahead to April 18 and typed in BOSTON MARATHON!

Yesterday, I finally qualified!

I never doubted you

Patzer

Great job.  Enjoyed the race report.

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Really enjoyed reading your race report. Hope to do the same next year, but I'll have to get much faster Smile

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Oh, and I just found out they posted not only the race pics, but finishing video as well.  I would not believe I was still running past that finish line if I hadn't seen it myself.

Don't think I've ever had a race-finish video. 

I'm in the blue Odwalla jersey, black running hat.  Big Smile.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Awesome job dude.  Very cool.  Great write up. 

2011 Goals:
                    Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                    Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Congratulations. Good report.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Dusting off this very old thread that was (and still is) quite dear to me.

I just finished a "leg shake out" easy 5 miler heading into this weekend where I'll run the Hudson Mohawk Marathon.

It occurred to me on my run, Hey, wasn't Mohawk the first marathon you grabbed a BQ?!

That feels like so long ago (looks like it was 8 years!) and soooo many countless races ago (even a few Bostons!). 

My running has changed so much over those year and more, and despite some injuries (that broken hip comes to mind!), I've been super lucky to keep going, and to pick up support from some excellent companies (most recently and most proudly, GatoradeEndurace!!) along the way.  These days much of the distance races I do these are as a hired pacer --the 1/2 marathons and long training runs the NYRR puts on and of course their NYC Marathon (13th consecutive NYCM this year, 6th as an official pacer!).  I've paced a lot of other marathons and halfs, and brought a lot of racers to their goals, taking a bit of a side step for me from racing to more pacing at the longer distances. I love it!

A few months back I was asked by my fellow pacer / MarathonPacing.Com owner, Jim, if I wanted to pace the Mohawk Marathon.  Of course I did!  So this weekend, after 8 years, I'm heading back up to Albany, this time to help others hit their goal (pacing 3:40) --some will be shooting for a BQ like me so many years back, and I'll get them to it!  Maybe some of you will be up there racing, if so, come say hi, and good luck.  Reading my old RR, it's gonna be another awesome day!

Keep running everyone!  You never know where it will take you!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

JMac11

RIP Milkman

First time reading this. I sure hope you've abandoned your bank time strategy in these 8 years 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ultramarathon/triathlete

LOL, firm believer in neg or even splits now.  No more baking time.

It was really the pacing at other races that convinced me I need to do this for my own races and stop just telling other people to.  Learning takes time! :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

awesome!

maybe a slower start at boston and a faster marathon time! good luck!

curious what that 5k winning time was?

300m- 37 sec.

SMART Approach

Congrats. I also think you don't need more super long runs. More mid week miles and specifically a mid week longer run with quality would be the ticket. Those 20 milers on your lower weekly miles will beat you up a bit over time especially with marathon pace in them. You ran awesome on your training. You trained great but was just a bit aggressive early. Banking time is not the norm for marathon racing but you were so fit it worked out for you. I would not significantly alter your training other than a mid week longer run to add some miles.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

ultramarathon/triathlete

awesome!

maybe a slower start at boston and a faster marathon time! good luck!

curious what that 5k winning time was?

I think my winning 5k time was around 17:50ish. That was 8 years ago.  I'm not that fast right now.  Could do a sub 19 but not sub 18 currently.

Tomorrow I'll see about running a solo marathon on my birthday, goal will be a BQ equivalent time but not sure I'm up to that kind of speed right now.   Curious to see how I'll do on my own.  My last solo marathon was maybe 5 months ago? and that was right at 3:14 but with the new BQ times I'd need to run sub 3:10 so I'll give it a try.   Worst case scenario I'll have a nice but slower long birthday run.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team