Drop and give me 50! (Read 1005 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Or, better yet, drop 50 and give me 26.2...a 5 year journey! I had been working-out on-and-off over the years, but made a committment to start REALLY running on the first day of Spring. So I started with the 3rd week of the Couch-to-5k program and haven't stopped running since.~My long-term goal is to run {a local 25k} next spring with my best friend.~Maybe someday I will think about a marathon Those words are an exerpt from the initial post of this RAer more than two and a half years ago. I have been online here at RA perhaps longer (or at least as long as) anyone here. Although there are many great stories, of overcoming illness or family issues, I pick this story as one I'd like to highlight. This runner isn't from sunny California or some moderate weather locale, but from a place that throws some nasty winter down your collar and up your sleeve, that constantly produces wet, cold toes and fingers... a place that generates cold and wind to rattle the window panes just as the alarm goes off as if to say..."don't bother coming out here, you don't have what it takes". The distasteful weather has been defeated. This runner has been active in taking us through the journey of someone trying to break barriers, both real and imagined. As we travel this path with our featured runner, we pull excess energy into our own training plans, working from the knowledge that others are battling, perhaps battling in worse conditions than we face or with less resource than we possess. We learn from this runner's mistakes, as they are shared freely, often comically. We counsel, read the counsel of others, perhaps without realizing that this quest has brought out the very best in a virtual running community. We virtually run with this runner, sharing time on the route that takes us from "newb" to "trainee" to...yep, "RUNNER"! Jeff the hippie first turned the words that made me realize I had a front row seat to this performance, thanks to him for that. I just thought it was worth of calling out. Congratulations to the Zoominator (and, frankly to all the others who have been on their own journey to this destination), Zoomilicious, Zoomtastic...Kirsten, for becoming a marathoner while I was away. Thanks, Zoom-Zoom! I look forward to sharing future adventures! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Feeling the growl again

While some of us are out chasing a few (relatively meaningless) seconds off our PRs, this is the type of effort/consistency in the sport that truly changes lives. Congrats!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Think Whirled Peas

It's weird, 'cause I never see this "Zoom-Zoom" person posting. Particularly in threads involving shoes... Wink

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Flat footer

Zoom-Zoom you're an inspiration to us all!

Great job to all the first timers this Autumn, there were a lot of great race reports and I love reading about people's experiences, especially their first time. Wink

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Congrats to ZZ! I'm taking bets on when she'll run her first ultra.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just thought it was worth of calling out. Congratulations to the Zoominator (and, frankly to all the others who have been on their own journey to this destination), Zoomilicious, Zoomtastic...Kirsten, for becoming a marathoner while I was away. Thanks, Zoom-Zoom! I look forward to sharing future adventures! Lynn B
                Blush Cry Yes Tight lipped <--smooch>:] And...did you hear I'm planning on my first trail race in a few weeks...and then a brutal trail relay next June with a few RA crazies? Already thinking ahead to '09 marathon #2, too. Milwaukee part deux...Grand Rapids...Detroit...Columbus...? Thanks for helping keep me inspired, too, man. You're one of many people here who I look up to and who make me want to log more miles and tromp on some PRs. And I still smile every time I see Mike Rowe...'cause he's so fortunate to resemble jlynnbob. Perhaps you should contact him to come do a "Dirty Jobs" episode with you running a trail race. I'd love to see that! You peeps are the best! I'm so thankful that I stumbled across this site 2.5 years ago. I am certain that I'd have given up on running long ago were it not for this place.! Smile</--smooch>

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

And...did you hear I'm planning on my first trail race in a few weeks...and then a brutal trail relay next June with a few RA crazies?
                  Extra credit for pictures of muddy and/or bloody parts!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Why is it sideways?

Old school RA pioneers are the best.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Extra credit for pictures of muddy and/or bloody parts!
                      I can't wait! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Old school RA pioneers are the best.
                        Yep...though what constitutes RA pioneer? I'm thinking anyone who was here before the "Off The Beaten Path" forum was created. I'm still wondering what the smell is in my car... Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Yep...though what constitutes RA pioneer? I'm thinking anyone who was here before the "Off The Beaten Path" forum was created. I'm still wondering what the smell is in my car... Tongue
                          Everybody except Eric, johnny franglais, schneider, oce222, Pron8r (does not appear to be active anymore) and Crabby are newbies to me! Lynn B

Fool

Zoom-Zoom, I haven't been here quite so long, but have been impressed following your ups and downs on the marathon training program. Where so many people here seem like running machines, you always inject the humanity into your posts with humor and a decent attitude. The highest compliment I can give - reading things like this makes me want to drink the kool-aid and start a marathon training program too. Congrats on being among the more inspirational RAers, and around here that says alot!

Another Passion

Very well-said and written, Lynn.

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The highest compliment I can give - reading things like this makes me want to drink the kool-aid and start a marathon training program too. Congrats on being among the more inspirational RAers, and around here that says alot!
                                Kool-Aid...I thought it was beer (and pie)? Evil grin Thanks, man...BTW, did I ever tell you that your avatar reminds me of the lead singer of Digital Underground in the "Humpty Dance" video? Yeah, I think I just showed my age... Blush

~ Sarah Kay