"Equalizer" bonus points (Read 138 times)

pedaling fool

Not knowing the specifics of races, I was wondering how many races give out "Equalizer" bonus prize money ($5,000)? This is given to either the first woman or man that crosses the finish line first. http://www.gate-riverrun.com/rrawar.htm

In our local Gate River 15k Run, we have the practice of an Equalizer bonus. What they do is start the elite women five minutes before the elite men, so that there's a chance that a man will pass the winning female and come across the line first. It does make the race a little more interesting, just another form of the race within the race. However, I can see how women might find this offensive, but I've never heard of anything negative against the practice, but as I watch other races I've noticed that many don't afford the men the chance of passing the winning female.

How many races have this Equilizer bonus? Is this a controversial issue?

Kalsarikännit

They did this when I ran Bay to Breakers, starting the women ahead based on the difference in CR's. I'm not sure if it is still a thing.

I have no idea why I am supposed to be offended by it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

kcam

i just checked their website and didn't see the male/female competition bonus thing anymore.  Sadly.

But Bay to Breakers also has a "King of the Hill" bonus where they pay $2500 to the male and female with fastest climb of the Hayes Hill.  It's near the start of the race so it can have the effect of blowing up the race if you try to hard to get that $2500 bonus.  1st place overall for the race prize money is only $3000 so the $2500 bonus can have a significant effect on the overall race.

"San Francisco is known for its steep hills that fill the city. The Zappos.com Bay to Breakers features one of the most feared hills to climb, Hayes Hill. With an average grade of 5.5% (11.1% at its steepest), this .69 mile stretch of road is one of the toughest climbs in country. The male and female runner with the fastest time from base to peak of the hill will receive a $2,500 bonus!"

By the way Bay to Breakers is May 17th so if you want that hill climb bonus there's still time.

Tweeeked

There's a race here in Calgary called the Chick Chaser. Happens every year around Valentine's Day. Seems like a fun idea.

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
          • 10k: sub-36
          • Half: sub-76
          • Full: 2:45 in Boston

an amazing likeness

Your question seems to be specifically about prize money; I've never experienced that.

I have, however, been a few (3, 4?) races where they started as two waves, females first with the time gap between the waves intending to have the 1st runners from each wave arrive at the finish at ~ same time.  At one half marathon, this had the impact of the leading edge of the second wave catching the middle of the first wave in a section which was single-track trail, and some of the slower wave 1 runners felt pressured to just stop and step aside.

To me, it all came across as a stupid gimmick.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mmmm pace booty.

i just checked their website and didn't see the male/female competition bonus thing anymore.  Sadly.

But Bay to Breakers also has a "King of the Hill" bonus where they pay $2500 to the male and female with fastest climb of the Hayes Hill.  It's near the start of the race so it can have the effect of blowing up the race if you try to hard to get that $2500 bonus.  1st place overall for the race prize money is only $3000 so the $2500 bonus can have a significant effect on the overall race.

"San Francisco is known for its steep hills that fill the city. The Zappos.com Bay to Breakers features one of the most feared hills to climb, Hayes Hill. With an average grade of 5.5% (11.1% at its steepest), this .69 mile stretch of road is one of the toughest climbs in country. The male and female runner with the fastest time from base to peak of the hill will receive a $2,500 bonus!"

By the way Bay to Breakers is May 17th so if you want that hill climb bonus there's still time.

Hahahahalolololol

• The Course: The Mt. Washington Auto Road is 7.6 miles in length, has an average grade of 12% with extended sections of 18%, and the last 50 yards is a 22% “wall” to the finish. The course rises 4,650 vertical feet from start to finish. Relax, there’s Only One Hill!

Kalsarikännit

Well, sure. But nobody is pulling a keg on a kiddie wagon up Mt. Washington.

Kalsarikännit

Y'all are free to consider that a challenge.

mikeymike

Y'all are free to consider that a challenge.

Actually that sounds like the perfect stunt for someone who got shut out of the lottery but wants to bandit the race. Lederhosen optional.

Runners run

Actually that sounds like the perfect stunt for someone who got shut out of the lottery but wants to bandit the race. Lederhosen optional.

The best part would be trying to steer the wagon back down the hill... after emptying the keg of course.

Kalsarikännit

I suspect you are just after free beer at the top.

Training to harness and wheel a keg up that mountain might lead to an interesting change in physique.

bhearn

They did this when I ran Bay to Breakers, starting the women ahead based on the difference in CR's. I'm not sure if it is still a thing.

2012 was the last year they did that. Since then they have changed sponsors every year, and something changes every year.

bhearn

Well, sure. But nobody is pulling a keg on a kiddie wagon up Mt. Washington.

They're not at Bay to Breakers anymore, either. No alcohol, no floats. It's just not the same. And last year just before the race the police said no nudity, but the city councilmembers disagreed, which led to much confusion during the race.

Anyway that hill is a bitch when it comes at mile 2 in a 12K you are trying to run fast. Run it at the wrong speed and the rest of your race is toast.