2014 NYCM Rejection Thread (Read 192 times)

xhristopher

One of my goals last year was to qualify for the NYCM. It's on my "bucket list" of races to run.

Well, qualifying ain't what it used to be.

I really wasn't interested in running a fall marathon anyway. This opens the door for cross country. Wahoo!

Who else got rejected?

DaBurger

Ouch.

Know thyself.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

One of my goals last year was to qualify for the NYCM.

2:50?!  Woah.  Dream big, X!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

CT JEFF

My best time is much slower, but I didnt get in either. Mixed feelings. Its a big cost and I really dont have the cash this week. Already have another run lined up for that date. Zombie Chase 5k with son.

I dont understand the new process for getting into NYC. Seems like more races are pushing you to give them more "charity" money and less actual runners. NYC had this to say in their rejection email....

We want to thank you for applying to run the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon. We're very sorry, but you were not selected through our entry drawing.

You can still get guaranteed entry by joining NYRR's Team for Kids or another official charity.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

xhristopher

2:50?!  Woah.  Dream big, X!

Nah, the sub 1:23 was enough. Puts you in the same drawing.

On the bright side, I just saved a ton of money.

I think they should just lower the qualifier enough for runners to know where the goal posts actually are.

runlikeagirI

Only 9100 slots of 47,500-50,000 were filled by lottery.  The rest were charity entries, time qualifiers, 9+1 guaranteed entries, people who had not been picked in the lottery 3 straight years, etc.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2014/03/drawing-2014-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-held-9170-77087-entries-selected/

My best time is much slower, but I didnt get in either. Mixed feelings. Its a big cost and I really dont have the cash this week. Already have another run lined up for that date. Zombie Chase 5k with son.

I dont understand the new process for getting into NYC. Seems like more races are pushing you to give them more "charity" money and less actual runners. NYC had this to say in their rejection email....

We want to thank you for applying to run the 2014 TCS New York City Marathon. We're very sorry, but you were not selected through our entry drawing.

You can still get guaranteed entry by joining NYRR's Team for Kids or another official charity.

DaBurger

I think they should just lower the qualifier enough for runners to know where the goal posts actually are.

The half marathon qualifiers were only guaranteed this year if you ran them in NYRR half marathons.  If you ran elsewhere, it was only a provisional qualifier.  So there's probably some 1:22 40 year olds that got in because they ran their circles around Staten Island.

Know thyself.

xhristopher

The half marathon qualifiers were only guaranteed this year if you ran them in NYRR half marathons.  If you ran elsewhere, it was only a provisional qualifier.  So there's probably some 1:22 40 year olds that got in because they ran their circles around Staten Island.

Yeah. Instead, I chose to go run circles around Lowell with you.

Full disclosure. I knew going in that I'd be in a qualifiers lottery and I could have run 1:22 at a NYRR half and be assured entry. That seems really greedy on their part.

I do acknowledge the NYCM has jumped the shark long ago. As an American I'm going to exercise my right to complain about it anyway. I feel it really disincentivizes putting in the work to qualify. Just imagine running sub 2:50 in the 40+ age group and being shut out of Boston despite submitting your registration on time. Of course, anyone running sub 1:23 / 2:50 really isn't doing it just for the NYCM.

mikeymike

NYCM just sounds too complicated for me. I'll probably never run it.

mta: and wtf? 1:23 is way easier than 2:50.

Runners run

DaBurger

I do acknowledge the NYCM has jumped the shark long ago. As an American I'm going to exercise my right to complain about it anyway. I feel it really disincentivizes putting in the work to qualify. Just imagine running sub 2:50 in the 40+ age group and being shut out of Boston despite submitting your registration on time. Of course, anyone running sub 1:23 / 2:50 really isn't doing it just for the NYCM.

Oh complain away, I agree NY's qualification standards are stupid, I wish you got a shot to run too.  it also seemed really messed up that the first sign that they gave you that you were accepted to the marathon was take $300 out of your bank account.  I bet a couple people got closer to their credit limits than they'd really appreciate.  It's also going to be cold and I'm going to be standing around on a bridge in a corral for half an hour before we get going.  The only real reason I'm running NY is because my family's all on Long Island.  Oh and any race day logistics will suck.

It really sucks that they can take advantage of serious runners since the demand for their race is so high.  However, it seems like Chicago still appreciates competitive athletes and there's obviously Boston.

Know thyself.

drifter

Yeah. Instead, I chose to go run circles around Lowell with you.

Full disclosure. I knew going in that I'd be in a qualifiers lottery and I could have run 1:22 at a NYRR half and be assured entry. That seems really greedy on their part.

Would you feel better if the drawing is like Boston based on time?

I would. This is silly even if you run a sub 240, there is still no guarantee.

I got in with 1:24:46 half time and decided before drawing that I would not try again regardless of the result. At this age, I can't afford to work towards failure, but I can accept the fact I am not good enough.

xhristopher

mta: and wtf? 1:23 is way easier than 2:50.

Exactly. I'm not complaining. 1:23 is significantly harder than my 3:15 BQ tho.

Alternately, NYCM could just sort the qualifiers by time like Boston and forget the drawing. I'd be cool with that.

DaBurger

I don't see anywhere that the time qualifier slots weren't filled up by a BQ-X type format.  They have guaranteed entry for those time qualifiers who run it in a NYRR race, and then they fill up their remaining spots with the other time qualifiers (with nothing saying they don't take the fastest qualifiers first, presumably adjusted based on their qualifying standards for different age groups).  It isn't nearly as transparent or clear as the BAA is with Boston, but the BAA must be clear because BQ-ing is how a majority of the runners make it to the starting line.  Like Mikey said, it does seem complicated.

This is all moot if drifter is in the 45-49 age group, then they're accepting NY-0:14, and not NY-0:30, then I agree with you guys.

Know thyself.

kcam

Oh complain away, I agree NY's qualification standards are stupid, I wish you got a shot to run too.  it also seemed really messed up that the first sign that they gave you that you were accepted to the marathon was take $300 out of your bank account.  I bet a couple people got closer to their credit limits than they'd really appreciate.  It's also going to be cold and I'm going to be standing around on a bridge in a corral for half an hour before we get going.  The only real reason I'm running NY is because my family's all on Long Island.  Oh and any race day logistics will suck.

It really sucks that they can take advantage of serious runners since the demand for their race is so high.  However, it seems like Chicago still appreciates competitive athletes and there's obviously Boston.

My daughter lives on Long Island and I ain't even considering the logistics hell of NYCM!  My race that I will try to do while getting out to the NY area will be the 5th Ave Mile - a much more sane distance though I'm guessing logistics will not be great either.  I always told myself that I'd run NYCM only if at least one other family members decided to go and got accepted in the lottery.  Barring that, I probably will never run it.

I live on Long Island and the NYC Marathon is not a logistical hell. It's almost the same as Boston, if not easier... Especially, if you are staying in a hotel in Manhattan.

xhris - did you have a qualifying time in a non-NYRR race and not get in? I haven't seen anyone get rejected from this years race with a non-NYRR qualifying time.  If so, you definitely won the unlucky lottery.

NYRR has not posted how many non-NYRR time qualifying spots they had, however, xhris might be the first person to not get a spot with a non-NYRR qualifying time I have seen.