1 Day, 2 Running Ahead Overall Winners - Louisville Marathon and 1/2 Marathon (Read 749 times)

Hannibal Granite

In case Spaniel is to humble to brag to the community he was the winner of the Louisville Marathon today, and in a related note I was the winner of the 1/2 Smile Race report below. Race Report - I was shooting for a 1:16-1:17 and since Spaniel was trying to go mid 2:30's I figured we could run together until I had to turn around. That worked almost to perfection, at least for me, I stayed just in front of the field and set the pace running ~5:50-6:00 pace until the turn around point, which was just before the 8-mile mark due to the first ~2 miles of the course going in the opposite direction then coming back past the start. Up until that point Spaniel and one other guy who was also doing the full were right behind me, so I had company. After the turnaround I was a little concerned about being able to hold pace w/o anyone around me so I really focused on running and trying to hold pace, which actually made me speed up, so I had that going for me. Not to mention that I didn't want to get caught by the next guy behind me in the half who was pushing a stroller - I just couldn't let that happen (he did end up finishing 2nd). I did have one kinda slow mile on the way back, but that was along a stretch of road that was on a curve and the pack of runners who were still on their way out were along the inside so I think I had to run a little extra distance, oh well. I kind of felt like a salmon swimming upstream on the way back, especially along the river where the course is rather narrow. Anyway, I finished in 1:16:28, which while about 3 minutes from my PR is a time I am very pleased with today

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

TJoseph

Awesome race! Congratulations to you and Spaniel.

Queen of 3rd Place

Nice work, both of you. Gotta love that a guy pushing a stroller took 2nd. Arla

Ex runner

Feeling the growl again

It was GREAT to have you to run with Hannibal for the first third of the race, kept the pace honest! But it still took 4 miles before I could feel my hands, what a great morning for a marathon. You know, at the start, I noticed the guy with the baby jogger lining up on the starting line and thought MAN, how INCONSIDERATE to the other runners to get in front of them with that thing!! Then I saw him only a minute or so behind us at one point and realized he had the engine to back up his starting position. Very impressive. I'll put my race report on the "I'm committed" thread... Again, great race Hannibal! You're going to have a great marathon in December.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Congratulations. Great job.

Not at it at all. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Awesome job to the 2 of you!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn, you guys! I hope you were wearing your RA shirts--way to represent! Wowsers...you guys are something else! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wow! You guys gotta start wearing RA shirts. We can't get better advertising then that!! Congrats guys!!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Way to go guys!!!!! Your mile splits look a lot like my KM splits...... you are some fast dudes!
                    celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Congratulations to both of you. Great races and nice report! The man coming in second with the stroller was very impressive as well. Smile

Chris
                      PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Hannibal Granite

Wow! You guys gotta start wearing RA shirts. We can't get better advertising then that!! Congrats guys!!
                        I think maybe I'll get a shirt when Eric decides on the new logo, but I'll still race in a singlet.
                        Again, great race Hannibal! You're going to have a great marathon in December.
                        Thanks, It was fun having someone to run with for the first part of the race, especially since we weren't racing each other. I hope you're right about me doing well in December. I've really learned to pace myself better in the last year or so, which has always been my problem in marathons and even halfs until recently so we'll see how it goes.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1 Day, 2 Running Ahead Overall Winners - Louisville Marathon and 1/2 Marathon
                          Mile 3.5

#artbydmcbride

Holy cow!!! Shocked

Runners run

Congratulations, to both of you, and thanks for the report. Great reading. Thanks for the picture Trent. Definitely worth a thousand words...... From Spaniel's report I guess you guys have just gone through 5k in about 18:10 pace at that point. John
                              Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                              xor

You know, at the start, I noticed the guy with the baby jogger lining up on the starting line and thought MAN, how INCONSIDERATE to the other runners to get in front of them with that thing!! Then I saw him only a minute or so behind us at one point and realized he had the engine to back up his starting position. Very impressive. .
                                Did it look like this guy? Image and video hosting by TinyPic If so, that was Michael Wardian. He ran a 2:42 with the baby stroller in 5/07. Then again, unless he had another kid or didn't mind adding 17 more months of baby->toddler weight in the stroller, maybe it wasn't him. Without the stroller, he ran the Olympic Trials. He also won the White River 50 miler with a 6:52... a seriously challenging set of climbs.