My Freaking CAT (Read 634 times)

My sweet new crank!

So we have this cat. Grey/Silver whatever. He gets attention, plays with the dog and kids, sleeps in closets. Typical cat stuff. He goes by a couple names Pinot was first, then I decided to call him Ted Nugent. Why not, right. So now my 3 year old calls him Cat Nugent. That will stick. But the stupid thing will not use the litter box. He spends a lot of time outside. Scratches at the door like a dog, in and out, in and out. Never a dirty litter box. Even with several types of litter. He pisses in the kids playroom. Sometimes under the desk, in a toy tub, on a tigger costume. What do I do? I am no animal hater, but the pecking order in my house goes, Wife, kid, kid, kid, Dog, Me, Cat...I have no issue with him 'living out on a farm' (please not hate mail), but I am willing to try to break him of this. Cat people, smart people, anyone?
    Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

Lazy idiot

So now my 3 year old calls him Cat Nugent. That will stick.
      Cat Nugent. That's awesome. We have a cat with urination issues. when he does not have a clean litter box, he finds a pile of clothes, a balled up blanket, whatever is suitable to relieve himself. But if we keep it clean, he's more than happy to use the box. As your cat does not actively use the litter box, I'm not sure what the deal is. Perhaps he needs a reeducation program on what the litter box is for? Not sure how to best accomplish this though. I wish you the best of luck in fixing the situation.

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is he neutered? That's probably the first thing that can cause litter box issues. The other thing is the outdoor thing. Cats get particularly territorial if they are indoor/outdoor (not to mention the other risks...my childhood kitty lost a hind leg to a neighbor dog, so for that reason alone I will never again have a cat that goes outdoors), so he may be marking his territory more. We had a male cat who would pee near windows and doors, since he could smell the spots that neighborhood cats made around our house (yet another reason to keep a cat indoors--roaming cats have a tendency to be nuisances to neighbors). #1 I'd try to keep him out of the areas where he has already peed. #2. I'd buy a few jugs of Nature's Miracle solution (any major pet supply store will have this stuff). It's not cheap, but it works VERY well. #3 look for a litter designed to attract the cat to use it. I think there is one called, funnily enough, "Cat Attract." I haven't used it, but have heard good things about it. Of course, he may just be pissed about the Ted Nugent thing...can't say that I'd blame him, and I live in the whackmaster's home state. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

Is he neutered? He's not peeing to empty his bladder, he's marking. Unneutered male cats do that. Pet stores have all kinds of sprays that are supposed to repel cats. Try those?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

My sweet new crank!

he is nuetered. how could you be mad being named after the motor city madman...sweaty teddy nugent... the author of the bestselling "kill it and grill it" I say he is a lucky cat nugent. Thanks for the tips. Will try to see if some of that works.
            Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
              I am no animal hater, but the pecking order in my house goes, Wife, kid, kid, kid, Cat, Me, Dog.. Cat people, smart people, anyone?
              That's the correct order! Is the cat urinating on hard surfaces too? Have you put the cat's face in the urine, spanked it, and given it a verbal warning? Cat I grew up with had a problem urinating in the same spots (corners) eventually we just cut the carpet out of those areas. Problem with cat urine is that stuff can cake up big time... even when you clean it... still is stinky.

Vim

obiebyke

No hitting! First of all, I just don't like hitting kids or pets. Secondly, at least for one of my cats, it makes him angry and even more likely to lash out. I suggest clapping in his face and yelling "no!"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Have you put the cat's face in the urine, spanked it, and given it a verbal warning?
                  Any vet or animal behaviorist will tell you that the best way to ENCOURAGE a cat to start peeing on stuff is to make it feel angry or threatened, which is exactly what hitting or putting its face in its messes will do. Here is some more advice. BTW, have you guys ruled-out a medical issue? Male cats, especially, can suffer with painful bladder, ureter and kidney problems that may make them view the litter box as a source of pain. We had a childhood kitty who had to eat a special diet to avoid these issues. What sort of food are you feeding Cat Nugent? Cheaper foods often are full of fillers that can cause urinary issues. Generally something like Iams or Science Diet are recommended by vets, particularly in animals that have had urination difficulties.

~ Sarah Kay

I volunteer at an animal shelter and we get pets in all the time for the reasons you described. It's really sad Sad I want to echo Zoomie --- have you taken the cat to the vet? When a cat is not using his litter box, it's the FIRST thing to check. After that, it's a behavioral issue --- but rule out a medical issue before you start getting into that. And please do not hit the cat or rub his face in it. He will not equate that to "use the litter box." Call your vet.
                    2009: BQ?
                    obiebyke

Just a quick hijack thanks to Trishie for volunteering in a shelter. Both my little ones were adopted from shelters, and they're AWESOME! And thanks to both you and zoom for reiterating that you NEVER hit an animal. That "swat it with a newspaper" stuff drives me bananas. My dad is a retired pediatrician, and his question to parents who hit their kids was so basic it's brilliant, and works for animals, too: "Well, does it work to make them behave better?" The answer is almost always no.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A lot of the older members of RA will probably remember our beloved Gus. He was also having litter box issues and we never were sure what was at the root. We have neighboring cats who pee around our house, but he also developed seizure issues (which was what eventually killed him at about 12 years of age, which is relatively young in a cat) and prior to his death the vet was also suspicious that he may have had a bladder tumor (the vet had a hard time catheterizing him and felt there was some sort of abnormal obstruction). So he had a variety of issues--any one of which could have been responsible for his litterbox aversion. Definitely rule out obvious health problems in your kitty. The longer he avoids using his box the more a bad habit will develop.

~ Sarah Kay

#1 I'd try to keep him out of the areas where he has already peed. #2. I'd buy a few jugs of Nature's Miracle solution (any major pet supply store will have this stuff). It's not cheap, but it works VERY well. #3 look for a litter designed to attract the cat to use it. I think there is one called, funnily enough, "Cat Attract." I haven't used it, but have heard good things about it.
                          Our male nuetered cat started using the carpet in the family room and in the living room about a year ago. He had been going outside a little bit every day, so he now is an outdoor (fenced backyard) and an indoor (in his room, which is also the laundry room) cat. And I use Cat Attract litter all the time now.
                          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                          Ojo

We have issues from time to time with our cat. We need to keep his litter box very clean or else he finds another place to go. Most cats will choose cool slick surfaces. I had a beautiful (yes, it truly was beautiful) wash basket (Longaberger) that became a frequent spot for him to use. We stopped using it and the problem disappeared. During the summer, Scout will pee on towels that we leave on the porch to dry the dogs off -- again when his box gets too dirty. My advice for you would be to place more than one litter box in your house, remove anything the cat has used in the past, and consult a vet. Hope the situation gets better!

Sara

MM #2929

If you have the time, you could try keeping the cat in only one room (with a litter box in it, of course... and no clothes or towels on the ground to attract him). Hang out in the room with him, and eventually he will use the litter box since he has no other options. Then, while he is going, verbally praise him (use a cute baby talk voice), then as soon as he steps out, give him some of his favorite treat. After only a few times of this (did I mention it would be time-consuming?), he will eventually learn what you do want him to do (rather than punishing him for something you don't like). If you ever "catch" him using the box, reward him as well.
                                How old is he? What type of box is it? Is it a lidded box w/ door? I read in the Tufts Veterinary journal that cats can actually develop hip issues from jumping in and out and getting spanked by the door.