First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

zonykel

Unrelated to the OP, but somewhat related to the post above: it always annoys me when people complain about getting a ticket for going 70 in a 55 and say they shouldn’t get a ticket because everyone does it (including me). Don’t complain about getting a ticket for speeding; pay your fine (because you broke the law) and complain that the speed limit should be increased to 70 (because of advances in automotive technology etc).

Rant over. Sorry for the interjection.

Right, because when the speed limit is 70, people don't feel the need to go any faster.

Finally, I enjoyed it when it was pointed out that the fine you will hopefully be forced to pay isn't going to city coffers, since, you know, most of your initial trolling was done on the grounds of this being a giant ($200!) cash grab on the part of the city. Just wanted to re-live that moment.

--- See, that is my argument.  I say "FORGET a lawyer.  The offense IS NOT that serious!  You might get a 100.00 or 200.00 fine for being caught running near some train tracks.

--- But... There are others in this thread who say he MUST get a lawyer or he might really get Screwed!

To HarryLee, a question.    I am of the belief this thing is very 'minor' in the grand scheme of things and might get a couple hundred dollar fine, pay it, and move on.  But... Since you sound like you are from Chicago as well as the OP, harrylee, do you think that Chicago would treat this thing as serious?  Do you think the OP needs a lawyer?  (I'll say it more one time... Only thing in my opinion a lawyer will do is pull an extra $500 to $1000 out of the OP's pocket in this whole process, when again, the fine, without a lawyer present, may be 200 or less!....)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Right, because when the speed limit is 70, people don't feel the need to go any faster.

For the record, my point isn't about stopping people from speeding; it is about stopping people from whining when they get caught speeding.

--- See, that is my argument.  I say "FORGET a lawyer.  The offense IS NOT that serious!  You might get a 100.00 or 200.00 fine for being caught running near some train tracks.

--- But... There are others in this thread who say he MUST get a lawyer or he might really get Screwed!

To HarryLee, a question.    I am of the belief this thing is very 'minor' in the grand scheme of things and might get a couple hundred dollar fine, pay it, and move on.  But... Since you sound like you are from Chicago as well as the OP, harrylee, do you think that Chicago would treat this thing as serious?  DO you think the OP needs a lawyer?  (I'll say it more one time... Only thing in my opinion a lawyer will do is pull an extra $500 to $1000 out of your pocket in this whole process, when again, the fine, without a lawyer present, may be 200 or less!....)

What we really need is someone willing to be ticketed for the exact same offense and then go to trial without a lawyer so we compare outcomes and know who is right.  That....would make this thread really epic.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

For the record, my point isn't about stopping people from speeding; it is about stopping people from whining when they get caught speeding.

That is the way I took it as well.  And personal example:  When I was young (Age 16 to about 22), I used to get pissed as hell when I got a ticket personally. (Yet I would chuckle when I saw some other kiddo pulled over getting a ticket.Wink)

I have grown older and wiser.  Nowadays I drive 75-80 everywhere (speed limit 55, average folks going 70ish).  About once every 3 years or so, I get caught, pulled over, and get a ticket.  I do not complain.  I ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY.   I have no issue with the ticket and just consider it the small price I pay to drive fast when I want.   The cop is merely doing his job.    And I have bought alot of beauuutiful bricks for the fabulous Virginia Beach courthouse... Ain't it pretty?  lol.

(Oh, about passing others getting tickets in modern times....  Sometimes I do still chuckle when I pass by a guy getting a ticket, I am evil I suppose...Evil :-)

To HarryLee, a question.    I am of the belief this thing is very 'minor' in the grand scheme of things and might get a couple hundred dollar fine, pay it, and move on.  But... Since you sound like you are from Chicago as well as the OP, harrylee, do you think that Chicago would treat this thing as serious?  Do you think the OP needs a lawyer?  (I'll say it more one time... Only thing in my opinion a lawyer will do is pull an extra $500 to $1000 out of the OP's pocket in this whole process, when again, the fine, without a lawyer present, may be 200 or less!....)

It's not the fine that I'm worried about.  Well it still sucks considering I was unaware of this law.  The reason I really want a lawyer though is to keep this misdemeanor off of my clean record.  I never had any intent to commit any kind of crime,  a warning was all I really needed.  I had no idea up until now.

JimR

- ack! -

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

It's not the fine that I'm worried about.  Well it still sucks considering I was unaware of this law.  The reason I really want a lawyer though is to keep this misdemeanor off of my clean record.  I never had any intent to commit any kind of crime,  a warning was all I really needed.  I had no idea up until now.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Eh, come on man!  Be a Rebel!

I've got a couple 'suspended licenses' on my record for getting too many tickets in my younger years, but who gives a hoot!   I mean I am good to go, as long as I don't apply to become a school bus driver....

PS.  How much is the lawyer asking for to represent you???

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I thought the same thing and agreed with you completely until I saw the pictures of the intersection where he got the ticket.  There doesn't appear to be any indication of "keep off" anywhere.  If I was in town and out for a run I would have run through there too.  Granted, I am from an area where we have cows and not trains so I am not part of the city culture that might know you are supposed to keep off.  But that is kind of the point......if the only reason you are supposed to know something is private property that you are "just supposed to know" someone else other than me is responsible.  If you make a rule and don't tell anyone then I don't believe a reasonable person would know to obey it.  Using your analogy, this is more akin to a section of road having the speed limit change from 55 to 15 but having no indication (sign or otherwise) that the speed limit had changed.  When presented with a ticket for 40mph over the limit any person would say "what the hell" as Red Bird has.

Nowhere in the city of Chicago are gravel walkways common- we have sidewalks. The train tracks themselves are laid over the gravel, and it is reasonable to assume that the gravel is an extension of the track. To the north, there is clearly a sidewalk which is not there on the other side- a clear indication (around here) that you shouldn't be walking/running somewhere is a lack of sidewalk.

There are laws against jaywalking, open containers, unleashed dogs, etc that aren't publicly marked, yet reasonable people follow them and whether ignorant or not, pay the consequences otherwise.

The thing is it wasn't a Chicago cop that wrote him the ticket. Metra employs it's own police force- they are not the CTA that runs almost exclusively in the city (the famous 'El trains) they span from Chicago, to the 'burbs and even up to Wisconsin, and can enforce local laws in addition to policing Metra property. My guess is that there is no level of 'seriousness' assigned to it, he was there, he got caught and that's that. Not sure if the arresting officer is even required for something like this (he may only be required via continuance if the OP contests) as it's a pretty straightforward violation. It's really up to him whether or not he feels a lawyer is of value to try to 'clear his name'.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Eh, come on man!  Be a Rebel!

I've got a couple 'suspended licenses' on my record for getting too many tickets in my younger years, but who gives a hoot!   I mean I am good to go, as long as I don't apply to become a school bus driver....

PS.  How much is the lawyer asking for to represent you???

If it wasn't for job applications, or anything else that could get in my way, just because I have a record.  I really wouldn't care about having a record.

The price isn't set yet, but I know it's a good deal.

mikeymike

If it wasn't for job applications, or anything else that could get in my way, just because I have a record.  I really wouldn't care about having a record.

So you're saying it's not so much having a conviction on your record that matters, it's the consequences of having a conviction on you record that you care about.

That's deep right there.

Runners run

TJoseph

Proceeded on down the hall gettin more injections, inspections,
                            detections, neglections and all kinds of stuff that they was doin' to me
                            at the thing there, and I was there for two hours, three hours, four
                            hours, I was there for a long time going through all kinds of mean nasty
                            ugly things and I was just having a tough time there, and they was
                            inspecting, injecting every single part of me, and they was leaving no
                            part untouched.  Proceeded through, and when I finally came to the see the
                            last man, I walked in, walked in sat down after a whole big thing there,
                            and I walked up and said, "What do you want?"  He said, "Kid, we only got
                            one question. Have you ever been arrested?"

And I proceeded to tell him the story of the Alice's Restaurant Massacre,
                            with full orchestration and five part harmony and stuff like that and all
                            the phenome... - and he stopped me right there and said, "Kid, did you ever
                            go to court?"

And I proceeded to tell him the story of the twenty seven eight-by-ten
                            colour glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and the paragraph on
                            the back of each one, and he stopped me right there and said, "Kid, I want
                            you to go and sit down on that bench that says Group W .... NOW kid!!"

Early this morning around 2 am in Atlanta, I was hating life because of the unbelievable high pollen count and how it impacted me physically the past two days.  Then, as sleepless in the south,I discovered this thread.  I was smiling ear to ear reading every entry and this evening when I glanced again, the thread was still alive and ticking.

Thanks for the entertainment.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

So you're saying it's not so much having a conviction on your record that matters, it's the consequences of having a conviction on you record that you care about.

That's deep right there.

Yes, I just hope I don't have to go through this expungement crap http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentid=4646#