First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

AnneCA

http://www.abacollateralconsequences.org/

they don't have IL, but I just did a search on CA and found 739 collateral consequences to any misdemeanor conviction. Lots of them don't matter (I'm not an immigrant), and many of them wouldn't apply here (eg require a drug conviction).  But I think you'll agree that 739 is greater than 0.

MTA:  it's not just about a background check. Employers, landlords, these people can ask on a form if you have a criminal conviction.  Maybe they just ask I you have a felony conviction, but just as likely they'll ask about convictions in general. Lieing on a job application is generally a bad idea.

Well, its fixable if you pay an attorney and win.  Many times you will lose so your money is completely wasted.  

Wrong.  You don't have to win to avoid the conviction on your record.  That's what special pleading is for.  You would know that if you were a lawyer or if you hired a lawyer.

(Which is why you hire a lawyer.)

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I guess to some it is.

Yes. It really depends what you want to do with your life.

In that regard a misdemeanor conviction is sort of like a neck tattoo or flunking out of high school: it can only reduce your options. Granted some people have already sufficiently reduced their options by other means, or simply don't care. That doesn't mean there aren't potential consequences of a misdemeanor conviction.

There are lots of jobs for which employers don't bother with background checks. I'm sure restaurants don't go to the expense when they hire dishwashers.

But for high paying jobs, hell yeah companies do background checks. I can't believe this is even a question. I was once witness to the exact scenario Berner described--two finalists for a job. One had a misdemeanor conviction on his record, the other didn't. Guess who we hired?

Runners run

(Why am I entering into this thread now?)....

Did RedBird say that the citation was criminal tresspassing, or did Berner assume that the citation was criminal tresspassing?

I haven't read every word from every post, but I've followed it loosely over the past few days.  The pages were rolling too quick.

I don't seem to recall any specifics regarding the citation other than"citation by a Metra Cop"  and "show up on this date".

Somehow, Berner says that the "criminal trespass to property law is pretty straight-forward  (720 ILCS 5/21-3)."

But, I haven't read anything from RedBird saying "yes, that matches my citation".

RedBird, does the citation say anything about what crime you created that matches up well with "criminal trespass" and / or "720 ILCS 5/21-3"? 

I need to know whether I should continue reading this thread.

Cheers,

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

MrH

In that regard a misdemeanor conviction is sort of like a neck tattoo or flunking out of high school: it can only reduce your options. Granted some people have already sufficiently reduced their options by other means, or simply don't care. That doesn't mean there aren't potential consequences of a misdemeanor conviction.

This is a new possible direction for the thread. If someone does have a misdemeanor conviction, is it prudent to get a face tattoo to divert future employers from focusing on the conviction issue?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

C-R

Depends on the face tattoo I guess. Based on this guy, it doesn't seem to work out so well.

I love Berner's persistence. Do your clients act like this or is this just you being Don Quioxte

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

flarunner

Well played Mr. Lank. Well played. :golf clap:

(Why am I entering into this thread now?)....

Did RedBird say that the citation was criminal tresspassing, or did Berner assume that the citation was criminal tresspassing?

Someone more intelligent than me located the pertinent statute: 625 ILCS 5/18c-7503.  Its a Class C misdemeanor for a first offense.

I love Berner's persistence. Do your clients act like this or is this just you being Don Quioxte

I certainly have spirited debates with my clients about the right legal moves from time to time, but generally we discuss strategy not substance.  Seldom does Kevin from Accounting get on a call and try to argue that I've misrepresented the law.

You may have to wait a while for your case to be called, but you can use that time. Post updates here, message, and surf the web on your phone; many courthouses have free wifi for exactly this reason. Judges understand people need to multitask, but if you're concerned, just wear a baseball cap to shield your eyes and hold your phone low so they can't tell what you're doing.

I heard they plan to make cell phones illegal in Chicago courtrooms. http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/21948815/courtroom-cell-phone-ban-takes-effect-monday I believe this plan begins in April.  They'll still possibly be legal in the courtroom I'll be in.  But like anything else in this effed up town, that won't last long.

L Train

Redbird, do you have vertigo?  Your profile pic makes me dizzy.

mta: Also, why is one sock higher than the other?

There are lots of jobs for which employers don't bother with background checks. I'm sure restaurants don't go to the expense when they hire dishwashers.

You'd be surprised.

joescott

My 4-year-old is now playing some game on my wife's iPad called "Sydney Subway Surfers".  The protagonist (player) starts the game tagging some train car with some graffiti and then taking off running along the tracks trying to escape from the Aussie transit police.  So far, she always smacks into a train, though and gets caught by the transit cop.

Made me think of this thread and chuckle a little.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Is Berner a Lawyer?  Sure sounds like a Lawyer.  And if he is, that would sure indicate why he feels you need a lawyer???

/

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

zonykel

Is Berner a Lawyer?  Sure sounds like a Lawyer.  And if he is, that would sure indicate why he feels you need a lawyer???

/

I think he stated he's a lawyer earlier in the thread.