First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

xhristopher

As a parent, I would expect the Y to check out its volunteers.

Hmm, exactly what do you mean by "check out?"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Background check and references.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Redbird - this whole thing sucks.  I think anyone who watched the video can see that it's bullshit.  You seem like the kind of guy who could do a great job doing community service at the Y.  Maybe it will be a good opportunity and you'll enjoy it.  Community service can be a rewarding experience...court mandated or otherwise.  Seeing you get to tell your story on the news made me think you got at least a little bit of commiseration and hopefully a little vindication.  You weren't wrong...just a victim of circumstance.  Roll with the punches, don't let it get you down.

**Ask me about streaking**

"Screwed" is the word that comes to mind when I think about it.  Larry Yellen told me " METRA spokesperson told me that engineers had complained about pedestrians running between the gates, so cops were dispatched for enforcement of that problem, and while there, they happened to see Randy and busted him too"

Exactly where were you in the picture that was introduced at your hearing/trial/whatever?  On a scale of "far side of the gravel road, almost against the fence" to "edge of the railroad ties that the tracks are spiked to"?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

As far as community service goes.  I'm still waiting for possibilities.  One of them is the YMCA, who actually mailed me a questionnaire for a reference to fill out first.

Put down Larry Yellen.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

JimR

I've been too busy to check this thread.  I'm glad I did as now I won't have one of those pesky unsanswered questions lurking around in the back of my mind.

RuralRunner

Just saw this....gotta be the darndest thing I've ever read. He not only ticketed you, but you had to appear in court? And he took your license?? Is that even legal? Then you get hit with community service???? Community service for running on a path next to train tracks...there aren't words.

I can't think of a single reason to live in or visit Chicago. Murder capital of the country, gangs run the inner city and law-abiding citizens aren't allowed to defend themselves, one of the most corrupt, mob-style "governments" in the country, and then this kind of nonsense piled on top. What a cesspool.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Just saw this....gotta be the darndest thing I've ever read. He not only ticketed you, but you had to appear in court? And he took your license?? Is that even legal? Then you get hit with community service???? Community service for running on a path next to train tracks...there aren't words.

I can't think of a single reason to live in or visit Chicago. Murder capital of the country, gangs run the inner city and law-abiding citizens aren't allowed to defend themselves, one of the most corrupt, mob-style "governments" in the country, and then this kind of nonsense piled on top. What a cesspool.

Except it's not a path at all. I've said it already, but I've run in that area dozens of times and never had an inclination to run next to the tracks like that, there's no reason to with plenty of sidewalks in the direct vicinity. People walking along that path are usually doing so to catch a train and whether they get ticketed or not has no impact on Red Bird's ticket, as he and his lawyer found out.

FYI, law-abiding citizens can defend themselves here, even with guns if they can't do it on it their own, and many of those 'law-abiding' citizens sell their guns, legally, to the gangs that 'run' the inner city. Nice rant, though- the thread might have died, but I think you've successfully breathed new life into it with your off-topic trolling. Bravo.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

RuralRunner

Nice rant, though- the thread might have died, but I think you've successfully breathed new life into it with your off-topic trolling. Bravo.

Thanks, happy to help. I would argue it's not off-topic, but in any event, thanks for helping resurrect it!

Except it's not a path at all. I've said it already, but I've run in that area dozens of times and never had an inclination to run next to the tracks like that, there's no reason to with plenty of sidewalks in the direct vicinity. People walking along that path are usually doing so to catch a train and whether they get ticketed or not has no impact on Red Bird's ticket, as he and his lawyer found out.

FYI, law-abiding citizens can defend themselves here, even with guns if they can't do it on it their own, and many of those 'law-abiding' citizens sell their guns, legally, to the gangs that 'run' the inner city. Nice rant, though- the thread might have died, but I think you've successfully breathed new life into it with your off-topic trolling. Bravo.

Yeah but all you have to do is view the link below and notice I was running south down Kinzua, and once I crossed Devon Avenue the trail was right in front of me.  So why the hell should I avoid it, especially when I prefer a soft dirt trail over pavement?  That reminds me

my lawyer was talking about how that trail looked so inviting it reminded him of how safeguards must be used to protect swimming pools to prevent outsiders from using the pool.  I remember covering that in Business Law too.

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/838ad724d2044a5a87f9ac2f80143fb3/workouts/f2af62c988174573b9b627faddd58b12/map

--- Redbird, as stated, I felt it was overapplication of the law, and I hoped you would have been found not guilty.

BUT, these things happen.  There comes a time when things have to put to rest!  This 200 buck ticket has taken too much of your time for well over a month now.  My opinion honestly is that you need to take a deep breath, forget about it, and move on!   Life is way too short to dwell daily for months over 'injustices'.   This one is minor in the grand scheme of things.     That's about all I have to say.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Redbird - this whole thing sucks.  I think anyone who watched the video can see that it's bullshit.  You seem like the kind of guy who could do a great job doing community service at the Y.  Maybe it will be a good opportunity and you'll enjoy it.  Community service can be a rewarding experience...court mandated or otherwise.  Seeing you get to tell your story on the news made me think you got at least a little bit of commiseration and hopefully a little vindication You weren't wrong...just a victim of circumstance.  Roll with the punches, don't let it get you down.

Just saw this.  A big +1 to this post.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

--- Redbird, as stated, I felt it was overapplication of the law, and I hoped you would have been found not guilty.

BUT, these things happen.  There comes a time when things have to put to rest!  This 200 buck ticket has taken too much of your time for well over a month now.  My opinion honestly is that you need to take a deep breath, forget about it, and move on!   Life is way too short to dwell daily for months over 'injustices'.   This one is minor in the grand scheme of things.     That's about all I have to say.

It's still a long way from over.  Considering I've never been charged with one misdemeanor in my life, I'll never forget this.  And of course I will always be upset about this.

RunningBadger

You run with your driver's license?

I thought the same thing.

You will lose the case if the officer shows up to the hearing, but most of the time they don't, they have better things to do.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

It's still a long way from over.  Considering I've never been charged with one misdemeanor in my life, I'll never forget this.  And of course I will always be upset about this.

"What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

You people have issues