First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

Master of Inconsistency

I wouldn't be able to afford that ticket if I had to buy all the bodyglide needed to run in denim shortsShocked

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !

I paid $212.50 to appeal a ticket carrying a $172.50 fine: 1), to prove the point that the City was acting illegally; and 2) to avoid the 4 points on my driving record.

Obviously, the OP is differently situated.

I once paid $450.00 to an attorney in order to avoid about a 300.00 "Wreckless Driving" ticket in VA.  (Very strict around here, was doing 78 in a 55 on the highway,w hich is automatically deemed wreckless driving since it was more than 20 over.).  This would have been 6 of the 12 points on my license, so I tried to fight it also.

I ended up of course paying the attorney $450 bucks, and still had to pay the $300.00(ish) ticket. = Over 750.00 in total. :-)

The judge was about 93 years old and felt that 78 miles an hour was waaay too fast on a highway.  (Maybe he hasn't driven since 1977?!)  I mean seriously, average speed is 70-75 these days with most commuters.  Doing 55 will get you slammed from the rear.

So, essentially, yeah.  I wasted 450.00 on picking up an attorney.  Next time I'll just talk to the judge directly, and accept whatever fate he deems necessary.    I couldn't have fared any worse, attorney was useless.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

C-R

This thread delivers.

One question to the Op - do you think Lederhosen would have help avoid the ticket? There is a strong contingent of Germans in Chicago and no so much on the denim wearing hillbilly's. When in Rome.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Even though my case is somewhat different than yours, I too have the fear of winding up with a worthless attorney, who winds up leaving me in a deeper hole.  The problem with my case is as far as the legal system is concerned, it's just another traffic court case or not much different than a speeding ticket. Undecided And of course,  I can't find any lawyers who would do a case in traffic court pro bono. Dead

I once paid $450.00 to an attorney in order to avoid about a 300.00 "Wreckless Driving" ticket in VA.  (Very strict around here, was doing 78 in a 55 on the highway,w hich is automatically deemed wreckless driving since it was more than 20 over.).  This would have been 6 of the 12 points on my license, so I tried to fight it also.

I ended up of course paying the attorney $450 bucks, and still had to pay the $300.00(ish) ticket. = Over 750.00 in total. :-)

The judge was about 93 years old and felt that 78 miles an hour was waaay too fast on a highway.  (Maybe he hasn't driven since 1977?!)  I mean seriously, average speed is 70-75 these days with most commuters.  Doing 55 will get you slammed from the rear.

So, essentially, yeah.  I wasted 450.00 on picking up an attorney.  Next time I'll just talk to the judge directly, and accept whatever fate he deems necessary.    I couldn't have fared any worse, attorney was useless.

L Train

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

A Saucy Wench

Yup.  I can see why someone wouldn't want to live in the city.  There are pros and cons. My point was directed at people that genuinely can't see the pros.

If I didn't have children I would trade in my largish house in the burbs for a small condo in downtown in a heartbeat.  Sadly the condo would still cost more.  I dont personally garden (why garden when I can support so many local small farms), so I dont get a lot of value out of the yard.  Actually our yard has been nothing but headaches.

I may retire to the city.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

This thread delivers.

One question to the Op - do you think Lederhosen would have help avoid the ticket? There is a strong contingent of Germans in Chicago and no so much on the denim wearing hillbilly's. When in Rome.

If I went by the old "when in Rome" motto,  I would have never wound up a Cardinals fan in the first case (none of my first friends or immediate family cared for the Cards either).  After thousands of recorded miles in denim shorts too, the only question anybody has ever asked me about them is "aren't you cold?"  The cop who pulled me over didn't have one comment about my attire either.   He was colder than the 27 degree weather I was running in that morning. Angry The 38 degree weather this morning felt like a heatwave compared to yesterday.

BeeRunB

Who runs with their drivers license?

I do (not going to leave it in the car). I also carry a credit card, health care card, cell phone and money. Fuelbelt and Race Ready shorts make it easy---pockets! It's the responsible/prepared thing to do. One never knows...

zonykel

I once paid $450.00 to an attorney in order to avoid about a 300.00 "Wreckless Driving" ticket in VA. 

You'd think that driving without a wreck would be a good thing, right? :-)

preciousJohn

I do (not going to leave it in the car). I also carry a credit card, health care card, cell phone and money. Fuelbelt and Race Ready shorts make it easy---pockets! It's the responsible/prepared thing to do. One never knows...

You sound like a chick.

JimR

Now I'm seeing ads for local lawyers on the page.

I'm not leaving it in my home or car either.  I know of runners who arm themselves with pepper spray here too. 

This thread is fantastic. Thanks.

Runners run

This thread has been interesting :-)   I just want to know how much the fine is at the end of the month.

---I'm also curious to hear from the Lawyer who posted on what a representation fee would be for such a case.  ---Or would a Lawyer or Attorney in this case probably state that he will not represent a person in this situation because the the Transit Police were not in the wrong with their action?

To state the obvious, lawyers represent guilty people too.  Even if your client isn't contesting guilt, they may wish to contest the penalty, or avail themselves of other judicial relief, like probation or supervision.  A lawyer can help navigate those waters, and explain your options.

This is very different from my area of expertise, so I don't know what the market rate is for a simple misdemeanor representation.  Could easily be $800-$1000 or more for an experienced lawyer.  Just a guess, though.

The real kick in the pants is the conviction.  If (as I am guessing) this is a charge for trespass to property, then its a Class B misdemeanor in Illinois.  Same level as peeping in windows or telephone harassment.  Its only a misdemeanor, but its still a criminal offense.  For most people, it would probably be a badge of honor.  For some people, however, it would be a life-long hassle.  Imagine having to explain why you have a criminal conviction every time you submit a job application or loan request.  Might get tiresome at some point.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.