Am I to old to pick up running? (Read 226 times)

AroundtheBlock

I'm in my late 30s and skinny. I do cardio on a spin bike (just 30 minutes a day) which I enjoy. However psychologically running is completely different, much more enjoyable. I've been told people older than 30 had better not to run for the sake of their joints and I already have a slight problem in my knee (from an accident). Although there is soft (grass covered) ground available around where I live.

What do you think? If you are positive then is there any type of shoe (with cushion) that you recommend?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Running doesn't hurt your joints. Yes, there's impact, but that's also good for bone density.

If you want to run, go do it. I won't recommend a shoe because different people need different shoes.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

homelessloser

I was expecting you to say you were 80 years old and then see that you're younger than I was when I started. I started running at 38 after decades of ZERO exercise.  I was a competitive swimmer in high school and had to quit due to knee issues.  It was either surgery or stop swimming.  I was so turned off by the competitive swimming world that I swore I would never take part in sports ever again.

At 38, with high blood pressure looming, an increasing waist size, and poor mental health, I decided to start running.  I was tired of feeling like $hyt!  Also, I'm vain....I worried about my girlfriend losing interest in me due to my fading looks, ha ha.  I didn't even own proper shorts or a watch when I headed out the door.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it is never too young to run and if you do research online, running has been shown to actually HELP bone and joint problems.  There is nothing wrong with a visit to your doctor for a check up however from what I understand, people under 40 do not really need permission from their doctor.  Just go out and do it!  Take it slow...10 or 15 minutes a couple times a week to start and build from there.  Do not get into all the tech crap that runners have now.  You do not need expensive sports clothes or a GPS watch.  Just do it for yourself.

I'm in my late 30s and skinny. I do cardio on a spin bike (just 30 minutes a day) which I enjoy. However psychologically running is completely different, much more enjoyable. I've been told people older than 30 had better not to run for the sake of their joints and I already have a slight problem in my knee (from an accident). Although there is soft (grass covered) ground available around where I live.

What do you think? If you are positive then is there any type of shoe (with cushion) that you recommend?

GinnyinPA

I started running at 54, after 25 years as a hiker. Backpacking with too heavy packs did damage to my knees. Running has not. I Run without knee pain. I've done 4 marathons, starting at age 58. Build your mileage slowly and you should be okay. There are a lot of shoes that are cushioned. Which ones work for you will depend on whether or not you pronate and how your foot is shaped. Go to a good running store and get fitted by professionals.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've been told people older than 30 had better not to run for the sake of their joints and I already have a slight problem in my knee (from an accident).

Running in itself is beneficial, not harmful, for your joints.  However with a prior injury/problem that does not necessarily hold true. That is something you need to monitor regularly and carefully.  Your age is not a factor.  The running community is filled with runners much older, even into their 80s and 90s.  Many did not start until they were over 50.  As far as shoes, cushioning is only one factor when choosing a model.  Your best option is to visit a reputable local running store, not a big box store like Dick's, to have your form and foot plant evaluated and get assistance in choosing a shoe.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

If you're over 80yo, you should probably ask a doctor, not a running forum.  Otherwise, lace up, ya ninny.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

AceHarris

If you're over 80yo, you should probably ask a doctor, not a running forum.  Otherwise, lace up, ya ninny.

Haha!  I agree. Lace 'em up and get out there. Start low and slow, build the addiction, then have some fun.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

I started at 33 to help stop smoking, quit smoking and still at it at 68, get decent shoes and start easy so you do not burn out.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Cyberic

Started at 42, I am skinny, and had knee problems before. Not from injury, though, so I'm not saying your case is like mine.

Running has improved my knees. Being skinny, I'm not very muscular (goes together), and running has made the muscles, tendons, ligaments and whatnot in my legs stronger, and that has stabilized my knees.

So in my opinion, running is actually GOOD for your knees.

JimR

I've been told people older than 30 had better not to run for the sake of their joints.

Ah, I see.  Use zippered pockets, keeps 'em from bouncing out.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I was 42 years old when I ran my first half marathon back in 1993 with just a few months training. I am now 67 years old and ran a full marathon this past September. I have had knee problems in the past, I strained something in the knee while lifting back in the early 80s and was hobbling around for a week. I also have suffered various injuries from running, usually caused by "too much, too soon". In my experience as long as you exercise consistently with just small incremental increases each week you might find current pains diminished or vanished entirely. Run at least three days a week, but allow at least one day of rest or more. Listen to your body, learn to judge what works for you. If still concerned with running stress you can do cross training such as cycling, walking or strength building exercises. I have no suggestions as to shoes or other equipment, everyone is different and you have to find what is best for you.

BTW, you should have written "too" not "to" 

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Seattle prattle

Late 30s?! That's way to old!

Hell, all the old guys on here like me, just talk about running. We don't actually do it! HAHAHA!

And as for a sneaker, hang out here long enough and you'll hear about some fantastic deals available through some Southern California 'Ross Dress for Less' (or somethin' like that...)

Welcome aboard!

Size12shoes

Old Geezer

I began running in my mid-50s. My first marathon happened when I was 63. I'm now 69 and I've run 7 marathons, 15 half marathons, 8 10Ks, and 26 5Ks.

I've been told people older than 30 had better not to run for the sake of their joints

I've heard this also.  But only from non running non athletic people, never from runners.  I've run 12 marathons, one per year for the last 12 years, without joint problems.  And I'm only 66.  An 80 year old finished a local half marathon last month.

Just go run.  If the bad knee gives you any problem at all, head immediately to a physical therapist.

Jawihan

Welcome Around The Block. Lots of good advice on here. I am probably twice your age and started jogging for the first time 3 years ago and I have had several injuries due to the "too's" too much too soon & too fast. So I suggest don't rush things. I enjoy jogging and I find it's the best form of exercise for both physical and mental well being.

I would suggest that you check out the site "Running Injury Free" by Allen Leigh. He also has a free PDF book full of valuable information for beginning runners.

Good Luck and listen to your body

Jim