half advice/encouragement please! (Read 162 times)

bdg0221

I trained for my first half last october and november but the race ended up being canceled due to weather. I was feeling really bummed and burned out from all the training. I decided I would go ahead and register for another one though for February 4th. However, between the holidays, bitter cold and snow; my training has just not been what I wanted it to be. I've only done two "long" runs during December and January of 8 and 9 miles each. I was supposed to do 11 yesterday but I think I let anxiety get to me and I had my worst run ever. I only did 9 miles and probably walked half and I never walk. So now I am just really freaking out wondering if I can even do the half in two weeks. I was thinking of trying to get one more 10 mile run in before the race mostly just for the mental advantage but not sure if I should...

SMART Approach

You can do it. Do a 9 mile run in next day or two but keep it comfortable pace.  You can do race but don't have any expectations. Run for fun. Start conservatively or easy and run by feel. Even take walk breaks on a couple water/fuel stations. If feeling good, you can speed up last few miles. If you start too fast you will have a miserable experience. Remember, you will have PR no matter what.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I agree with tchuck, you can do it.  Get some miles in between now and the race, but don't tire yourself out.  I ran my first half two years ago and looking back at all I've learned since then, I'm surprised I finished as well as I did.  When you get in a race (especially your first at a given distance), adrenaline really kicks in and helps.  Just don't let it make you start off too fast.

Good luck.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

bdg0221

Thanks so much!

I'm thinking I try to go out tomorrow and get a 10 mile run in.  That still gives me 11 days to taper and take it easy.  My original goal was 2:30 but will probably try for 3:00.  They are going to have pacers so I may just stay with the 3:00 pacer and then maybe try to pull out around mile 11.

Wait are those pacers for the half or for the full marathon? I haven't seen any 3hr pacers for the half I did!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Runner100

Wait are those pacers for the half or for the full marathon? I haven't seen any 3hr pacers for the half I did!

OP, definitely go out with the 3hr pacer and see how you feel. If the 6:50ish pace feels too fast just back off a little and run your own race.

bdg0221

Those are the pacers for the half!  I know I am slow, lol!

I would probably do it the other way around: start with the 2:30 pace group and slow down once you see the need. You are able to cover the miles. And if you have been consistently putting in the work, you shouldn't worry.

You don't need to cover 11 miles in training in order to complete 13 on race day. Just chill, run normal distances this week and taper next. Your legs and the excitement will do the rest. And: enjoy every moment.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I would probably do it the other way around: start with the 2:30 pace group and slow down once you see the need. You are able to cover the miles. And if you have been consistently putting in the work, you shouldn't worry.

You don't need to cover 11 miles in training in order to complete 13 on race day. Just chill, run normal distances this week and taper next. Your legs and the excitement will do the rest. And: enjoy every moment.

I strongly disagree with this. Starting too fast is a recipe for a miserable last few miles.

When in doubt, follow what ilana has to say!

I just thought a 30 minute drop from 2:30 to 3hrs is probably too drastic based on my understanding that the OP is afraid he has not covered enough long runs. If the overall mileage was ok, he should be able to run his goal pace regardless. Thats my thinking. Now taking it out of context might be a roughe advice, I agree.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I am touched by your faith in me! 

It's actually not clear from the OP's post what kind of mileage he or she has been putting in.  The long run is not the only important thing here, and really is not even the most important thing, and anyway, there is no telling what a reasonable goal time is from the information given!  But I'm speaking in general, here: if you are running a race, and you think you might be able to run a time between two pace groups, and you want to run with a pace group, it is better to start with the slower group and (hopefully) speed up later, than to start with the faster group and have to slow down.

(I agree that there's a big difference between a 2:30 and a 3 hour goal.)

SMART Approach

+ 1. Great advice.

I am touched by your faith in me! 

It's actually not clear from the OP's post what kind of mileage he or she has been putting in.  The long run is not the only important thing here, and really is not even the most important thing, and anyway, there is no telling what a reasonable goal time is from the information given!  But I'm speaking in general, here: if you are running a race, and you think you might be able to run a time between two pace groups, and you want to run with a pace group, it is better to start with the slower group and (hopefully) speed up later, than to start with the faster group and have to slow down.

(I agree that there's a big difference between a 2:30 and a 3 hour goal.)

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

bdg0221

Thanks for the advice!  On Tuesday I ran 10 miles in 1:57 and alothough parts of it sucked, I’m feeling better about the half. Do you think I should start with the 2:30 pacer or 2:45. I’m leaning towards 2:45 but *think I can do the half in about 2:30.

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for the advice!  On Tuesday I ran 10 miles in 1:57 and alothough parts of it sucked, I’m feeling better about the half. Do you think I should start with the 2:30 pacer or 2:45. I’m leaning towards 2:45 but *think I can do the half in about 2:30.

Sounds like you have a good shot at 2:30, but I really think that how the early miles go will have a lot to do with it.  My experience with a half is that it is very easy to go out too fast.  You have your adrenaline and also the crowd pulling you along.  I know that I had to run several halves to teach myself how to keep my pace under control early in the race.

I would try to talk with both pacers before the race and see what their strategy is.  You cannot assume that a pacer will run an even split for the race, and some do a better job than others.  So, speaking with both of them might help you decide which one to go with,

Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Ok so I guess 3hrs is out of play now the question is 2:30 or 2:45. From your 10 mile training pace I would almost say a 2:30 half marathon is doable. Go big or go home. I did exactly that when I ran mine and it felt great. You will have adrenalin, potentially some energy bars or tubes and the crowd allowing you to get at least close if not to beat it.

You will always have folks tell you wait for the next race. Take it easy on the first half. But at the end of the day its just a half and you have been running quite some long distances so go for it.

Disclaimer: This only applies if you have enough training miles under your belt i.e. you have been following some sort of a plan.

Enjoy and pls let us know how it went!