Bullshit or Not? (Read 1266 times)

RunsForCake

So I'm watching this local access running show yesterday afternoon and they have a Podiatrist on talking about running shoes and how important getting a proper fit/shoe is in preventing injury.  I totally agree with that.

Here is where he lost me.  He goes on to say that even if you spend $80-$100 for good shoes you still must (yes, he said must) take out the insoles that came with the shoe and replace them with a custom ortho or a good over the counter one for proper cushion/stability. 

So what are we paying all this money for if the insoles that come with the shoes are not good enough?    Isn't that why there are neutral and stability shoes out there so one can get a proper fit, cushion and extra stability if needed for the type of running they do?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mikeymike

I've never replaced the insoles of my shoes with custom or over the counter anything and I haven't had a running injury in over 7 years.  That was over 16,000 miles ago.

Runners run

L Train

I will say that I have had luck avoiding injury moving down out of a $130 motion control shoe to a $75 light stability shoe by using $30 Superfeet that usually last me 3 pairs of shoes. 

Or it could be the mieage buildup/weight loss.

Or it could be that I avoid injury during Democratic administrations.

So I'd say lilke most things the answer is it depends. 

Hogwash and balderdash. If the shoe/insole companies can get you to avoid fixing the root causes, their profits from over-produced shoes are guaranteed. It’s smart really.

Imminent Catastrophe

BS.

Probably. Podiatrists love to sell $500 custom orthotics.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Slo

Probably. Podiatrists love to sell $500 custom orthotics.

The right custom ortho will cure migranes, lessen PMS and lower your blood pressure.

Honest question.  How would you know if you need orthotics? I mean, you probably just shouldn't trust the first person that wants to sell them to you?  Is there a certain type of arch type that makes them more necessary or critical? Any other factor?
                mikeymike

How would you know if you need orthotics?

Easy: ask the guy who makes a living selling expensive orthotics.

The same way you know if you need a spine "adjustment": ask a chiropractor.

You're guaranteed to get an answer in the affirmative.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tom, if you have recurrent injuries and have clear and obvious foot problems, you may need orthotics.  You may also simply need foot strengthening / barefooting.
                    Slo

Easy: ask the guy who makes a living selling expensive orthotics.

The same way you know if you need a spine "adjustment": ask a chiropractor.

You're guaranteed to get an answer in the affirmative.

Thanks mikey....I wasn't going to go there but now that you nudged the door open.

I have to place Podiatrist and Chiro's in the same class....not that they don't serve a purpose and they do have something to offer.......I'm just saying.....those two fields attract alot of quacks. It's almost like a "born again" religion. Either they really believe some of the snake oil they are selling or they're just very good pitchman and can cover up that grin until you turn your back.  Just an personal opinion.   

It seems to me , especially with sneaker construction being more complex than when orthotics first came out, that matching a particular orthotic with a particular sneaker may be tough. I wonder if wearing an orthotic may make it worse. 

I suspect that the construction of the shoe was taken into consideration when the original insole was designed/selected. Any orthotic is likely not to "mesh" right with the overall shoe situation. 

I also think that what we are learning about bearfoot running would teach away from complicating things with an orthotic. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

RunsForCake

Guess I'm not alone in thinking the guy was just trying to drum up a little business for his industry.
                          RunsForCake

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/

I've only got through the first 3 pages (boss man is yelling for me  ) but a very interesting read so far.