4 Hour Marathon...Should I try? (Read 1706 times)

RadarLuv

Finished my last scheduled 20 mile long run today.  I was worried because legs were a bit tired from 5k race yesterday morning and a 6 mile hike in the afternoon.  Marathon is on October 9th. 

If anyone would like to check my training log and give me advice for my first marathon, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Just curious if you are following a training plan? If so, which one?

The 5k time looked great.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

RadarLuv

Following  the Cool Running intermediate plan (except  not doing any long runs past 20 miles).

Scout7

So, you're looking at about 9:15/mile pace.  You have the speed, but it's hard to tell if you have the endurance.  Your long runs are all slower than that, your tempo runs are all faster, but they seem to cap out at about 10K.  You don't have much in between, other than the 12 milers that alternate with the 20 milers.

You have the capacity for it.  I'm not sure you have the training to support it, but that may be due to lack of data points as much as anything else at this point.

How do you feel at the ends of the long runs?

I don't know if you should go for it or not.... but I'm really curious to know how you get on.

You are a little faster than me based on my limited log stalking and a little closer to your race than I am to mine.

I think I have 4 hours in me but don't think I am going to be trained for it this (first) time round.

Good Luck!!

2017 Goals
            1) Run more than 231 miles
            2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

RadarLuv

You have the capacity for it.  I'm not sure you have the training to support it, but that may be due to lack of data points as much as anything else at this point.

How do you feel at the ends of the long runs?

Today I felt pretty good at the end.  The first 20 mile run was quite a struggle at the end, but I ran the first 10 miles with someone much slower than me, which kept me on my feet a long time. 

I agree about the lack of medium long runs.  i think next time I'll do some midweek runs in the 10 to 15 mile range.

RadarLuv

I don't know if you should go for it or not.... but I'm really curious to know how you get on.

You are a little faster than me based on my limited log stalking and a little closer to your race than I am to mine.

I think I have 4 hours in me but don't think I am going to be trained for it this (first) time round.

Good Luck!!

Thanks. To you as well.  We will get there at some point.

Scout7

I would say that, based on your statements and your training, you might be able to hold around a 9:30/mile pace for the full distance.  I think that 9:15 is too aggressive at this point, considering the race is about 3 weeks away, and at least one of those weeks is taper, so I'm guessing you'll have maybe one more long run this weekend.

Not to nitpick, but a 4 hour marathon is 9:09 pace.  

My 5K/10K times are close to yours, and I am borderline as well.  FWIW,  My only marathon was last november and my time was 4:32 , although there were some mitigating factors for that marathon, don't think I could have run 32 minutes faster.

Scout7

Not to nitpick, but a 4 hour marathon is 9:09 pace.

You're right, my math was off.

Even less likely.

RadarLuv

Thanks all,

I'm thinking I'll shoot for a 9:30 to 9:40 pace and enjoy this one.  I'll shoot for a sub 4:00 on the 2nd.

A Saucy Wench

Well FWIW my 5K PR is slower than yours and I ran a 3:44 Marathon off it.  But I had way more overall mileage going into it, it wasnt my first marathon and I had a bunch more 10K/HM's. 

2nd marathon with more base is a better bet.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

navghtivs

Your 5k PR is faster than mine, and my marathon PR is under 4hr, so you certainly has the potential, however if this is your first marathon, lack of experience will be a factor, another factor is the condition of the course and race day weather.  So I suggest if the weather on the race day is ideal, you can try sub 4, but do not be disappointed if you fail, you will get your sub 4 marathon sooner or later. 

RadarLuv

Race went very, very well.  3:53:35 (negative split 1:58/1:55).  Trusted the training and had a great day!!!

JML

Congrats on a solid race!

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.