iPhone running apps 2013 (Read 164 times)

joebrown

jbrown

What apps are people using in this day and age for running? I personally don't often like to carry a phone on runs (though gps suggestion welcome), so any useful apps for logging, route planning, training plans, etc before and after runs?

joebrown

jbrown

Sorry, duplicate Sad

Am I doing this right?

For  logging, route planning, training plans, etc. I use RunningAhead.com

No excuses....

joebrown

jbrown

Good choice Wink. However, they don't have any iPhone apps yet so wondering what people might use if they're on the go.

Sea biscuit

spam.

What's the chance of joebrown and Sea biscuit being the same person?

Both accounts created within 45 minutes of each other, both within the same area in Los Angeles, and bumps masquerading as "duplicate post" and a modify of the original post?

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I use my "elite" subscription to RunKeeper to broadcast my location when I run.  I don't rely on it as much as I used to for logging since I came here, though I do try to keep it updated.

Fitness tracking is MyFitnessPal.

I do enjoy running with the "Zombies, Run!" app going, though since Apple stripped podcasts out of the playlist feature, not as often.

The Audible app is pretty handy when I'm listening to books...there's a screen you can bring up that makes all the controls gesture-based, so you're not trying to hit a tiny button on the screen while jumping over a pothole around a distracted driver, trying to pee while being chased by a dog.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

wafflehead62

spam

Another account created recently, from the same area in LA, advocating the same app.

xhristopher

I'm looking for an app that will socialize me while I run.

Julia1971

Apps I might buy:

- App that tells me when, according to my pace, I'm going to hit a "Don't Walk" signal at the next intersection,

- App that tells me which sidewalks are closed each day due to public works projects,

- App that finds me the nearest water fountain.

I'm sure there are others but that's the stuff I need.

bhearn

My sister-in-law wants me to write iPee, an app that will tell you where the nearest open public restroom is.

Julia1971

Your sister-in-law is spot on!  Make sure you give her a cut of your millions.

My sister-in-law wants me to write iPee, an app that will tell you where the nearest open public restroom is.

Chasing the bus

I like Runmeter, since it's really customizable, but intuitive enough, and can log pretty much anything you want including HR monitors. Uploading log data here though, requires a computer, and involves e-mailing a TCX file to myself, downloading to computer, then uploading to RA.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                          Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

I have an employer provided Blackberry. I downloaded the RunTastic, but am dissappointed. It reports I have gone a little over 1.08 miles, when my old garmin 305, which died, reported a more accurate one mile.   Do you think that is a problem with RunTastic or the phone?

A search of RunningAhead shows these options, which I plan to check out:
                             Handy Runner (though hasn't been updated since 2010, and seems to have become unstable)
                             Runmeter
                             Runkeeper
                             Member mwalker7 posted in 'technical support' about creating an app. Anyone know the status of that project?  http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/b040e1744c064b1484f42d1536f2e81b#focus

I'm almost exclusively using the Nike+ app these days. I've tried most of the other top contenders and this is the one I come back to every time. They have an awesome website that goes with the app.

Check out Strava or even Endomondo. That is another couple of options.

I think Runmeter is probably the best.

Running my way to being a little less fat.