Anyone have the Garmin 405? (Read 1210 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

My husband wants to buy it for me (I currently have the 205).  What can you tell me about it?

Thanks!

-Jill

Bring it on.

xor

Don't sweat on it.

Jill_B

I fly.

Don't sweat on it.

That doesn't sound good.  Why not?

Bring it on.

Ojo

My husband wants to buy it for me (I currently have the 205).  What can you tell me about it?

Thanks!

-Jill

Glad you asked Jill -- DH wants to get me one too!

Sara

MM #2929

xor

Well... learn what the 'bezel' is and how to lock it.  If you don't lock it, then a tiny amount of moisture will cause it to freak out.  (said differently: the display is touch-sensitive, sort of, unless you lock it, and sweat causes it to go iggity-iggity)

Even though the 310 is bigger, that's what I am buying next and not the 405.

Former runner

I've had my 405 for over a year and the touch bezel is the only problem with it. You will need to lock the bezel when it rains or in the cold months when running with long sleeves. I've never had a problem sweating on it. If I was shopping for a replacement I'd probably consider the new 310XT model.

Here are a few recent topics on the 405.

Which Garmin Should I Get?

Forerunner 405 + Mac + Garmin Communicator help

Garmin - which one

Garmin 405 vs 305

Ross

Imminent Catastrophe

The 405 had issues when it was new. most have been ironed out. There's also a user group here on RA:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/forerunner405/Forum

It's not really active but has some good info. Bottom line, I have the 405 and I like it but if you're not turned off by the geeky look of the 310, it's a cheaper and more capable unit. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jpdeaux

+1 what they said, plus...

I have the 305 and the 405. I've had the 405 for about a year now. The bezel can be a pain, but I adjust and lock it almost all the time. Using the bezel to cycle through menus is also a pain, but you don't do that too often.

I do like the 405's Ant+ feature for downloading data better than connecting the 305's wire.

My bottom line is that the 405 is way, way more comfortable to wear and I virtually never choose to wear the 305 unless the 405 battery happens to die. I've tried to go back to the 305 a few times, but it bangs against my wrist bone and I just don't like that.

One thing to think about though if you have thin wrists is that the newer 405CX comes with a choice of wrist bands, one specifically for a smaller wrist. Some complained that the older 405's fixed curves did not fit smaller wrists comfortably and I can see that.

Having said all that though, when the 310XT comes out July 20th, I'm buying it. I want the 20 Hour battery life, Ant+ wireless, convenient multi-sport switching, waterproof(ness), and that fact that it works with my old Garmin HR monitor straps.

I have the same problem with the 405 bezel freaking out when it rains or on really hot days when sweat gets on it.  You can lock the bezel and that fixes it, but as far I know you cannot turn the light on when the bezel is locked which makes it difficult to use in the dark.
                    Purdey

Self anointed title

I love the 405.

Routine:  lock bezel, press start, run, press stop.  It isn't difficult.

I decided to by a GPS watch for more accurate information from my runs.  I read every comparison between the 405 and 305 I could find...  Unless you are looking for a big 'watch' to wear around town and you don't sweat, I would go with the 305.  You can now get the 305 for $150 with heart rate monitor at Costco too...  I went from the Nike+ to this, so needless to say I LOVE the 305!  Good luck on your decision!
                        mikeymike

+1 what they said, plus...

I have the 305 and the 405. I've had the 405 for about a year now. The bezel can be a pain, but I adjust and lock it almost all the time. Using the bezel to cycle through menus is also a pain, but you don't do that too often.

I do like the 405's Ant+ feature for downloading data better than connecting the 305's wire.

My bottom line is that the 405 is way, way more comfortable to wear and I virtually never choose to wear the 305 unless the 405 battery happens to die. I've tried to go back to the 305 a few times, but it bangs against my wrist bone and I just don't like that.

One thing to think about though if you have thin wrists is that the newer 405CX comes with a choice of wrist bands, one specifically for a smaller wrist. Some complained that the older 405's fixed curves did not fit smaller wrists comfortably and I can see that.

Having said all that though, when the 310XT comes out July 20th, I'm buying it. I want the 20 Hour battery life, Ant+ wireless, convenient multi-sport switching, waterproof(ness), and that fact that it works with my old Garmin HR monitor straps.

Damn if I ever need to borrow a garmin it's good to know you're just across town.

Runners run

jpdeaux

I'll leave it on the stoop. Uh, wait, which one?