Race Report: Columbus Half Marathon (Read 795 times)

Lazy idiot

I cross-posted this in the 100-Mile club, and then realized that not everyone ventures to the dark side. It's a bit long, but I hope you enjoy. After long weeks of training and anticipation, it was finally here. The Columbus Half Marathon. This was not only my first half marathon, it was my first race of more than four miles. When I began my HM training in late July, I’d decided to shoot for two hours. This was based on some previous race times and what I was capable of doing in training at the time. Before this weekend, I set a series of goals for myself. Bronze was finishing, silver was finishing in under 2:15, and gold was finishing in under 2:00. Things had not been going swimmingly in training the last few weeks (I missed more workouts than I felt I could afford due to life), so I felt that achieving that goal of 2:00:00 would be a great accomplishment. Alright, already… the race. I didn’t sleep much the night before (anticipation/nerves/excitement, take your pick). I think I fell asleep at about 2:30 or so, and got up at 5:30. Still, I felt pretty good. It was perfect weather for a race, clear and maybe 55 degrees. Until the sun came up, it was pretty cold standing there in my shorts and shirt. My friend Cletus (the one who suggested this whole running thing) and I managed to find my Dad and Wicked Step Mother (WSM) in the crowd, decked out in sweatshirts bearing their monikers (Dad and WSM) on the front, and Team Harris (my last name) on the back. They told me they would try to find some way to embarrass me (or at least that’s what I heard), but I thought it was funny. 8 AM was near, so Cletus and I headed towards the back of the pack (it’s a chip timed event) to line up. I didn’t really hear the gun, but people started moving so we followed along. Right before the start line, Cletus and I gave each other the obligatory low five, and we took off. To hit two hours, I knew my average pace had to be right around 9:09, but I didn’t have any intention of starting out that fast. The first mile, I took what I felt to be a pretty comfortable pace. With all the people dodging I was doing, it ended up being a 9:57 mile. I was okay with that, but I knew that I’d have to start working a little bit harder. Apparently, that’s what I did. I forgot to hit my lap timer on my watch, but the next two miles were an average of 8:50. The effort didn’t feel too much more, but I guess whatever I did worked out. Somewhere between mile 3 and 4, I picked up a running buddy. A very chatty young lady told me that she was going to use me as her pacer. She found out I was trying to run 9:10 miles, and decided she was along for the ride. She was nice enough, but I’m not much of a talker so I was pleased when the full marathon course (which she was running) broke off from the half and I was back alone with my thoughts. While we ran together, we hit 9:33 for mile 4, and then 9:13 for mile 5. I was back on my own during the sixth mile, and here is where things started to get a little… weird. My major concern going into the race was that I hadn’t done enough running at a 9:10 or faster pace, and my body had forgotten how to do that. As my body started to fully loosen up after five or so miles, I was feeling pretty good as we came back towards downtown. Mile 6 was done in 8:32. Mile 7… 8:29. Mile 8, 8:32. I hadn’t run this fast in a while, and certainly not for three miles in a row. As we neared the next place I’d expected to see the fan club, the crowds got larger and louder. I saw the crew, consisting of the aforementioned Dad and WSM, my wife, Cletus’ wife, a couple of our friends, and Cletus’ sister. They yelled and cheered, I cheered for them as a thanks for showing up, and heard my dad yell “You da man!” as I passed by. Who knew he could be so loud? MTA: My wife says she screamed "HTFU!" at me while I went past. Wish I would have heard that (or wish she would have made a sign). Wink This seemed to be just the boost (ha!) I needed, as I forgot to hit the split button on my watch at the next mile marker. But the two mile average was 8:15 each. Pretty freaking good for the latest two miles of the longest non-stop run I’d done in my life. Mile 11 was 8:36, and I was still feeling good. I wasn’t breathing hard, but I could feel the pain building up in my legs. I knew I had two miles left, so I knew a dose of HTFU was in order. Mile 12 was completed in 8:20, and by now I can see the final turn in the distance. Even though the last mile was mostly uphill, I did mile 13 in 7:59 and the last tenth in 0:47. As I made the final turn, I could see the finish line and for some reason my stomach decided that this was the time to pass on this message: “If you run any faster, I’m going to expel your breakfast all over the course.” I listened for 10-15 seconds, but quickly decided that it would be worth it if it happened. My stomach contents stayed put, and I crossed the finish line in 1:54:07. Breaking my goal time by almost six minutes, that feels pretty good. Actually, it feels real damn good. I don’t feel like dying right now, and I think a full is definitely in the cards for next year. But first, I’ve got the Flying Feather Four Miler on Thanksgiving morning. As for the immediate future… I’m off to sleep.

Tick tock

derek

Congratulations and great job. You beat your "gold" time by almost 6 minutes!!! From your race report, it even seems as though you could easily break that time on your next half-marathon!

Derek

Think Whirled Peas

Congrats Drew, that's flipping incredible!!!!! HTFU indeed! 1:54 and change for your first HM is great. Scratch that. It's great no matter if it's your first or fifteenth! Twas a nice day for a race, wasn't it?!?! Your dad was right, YOU DA MAN!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Nice work, Drew. Congratulations. A fine race. Great result.

Lazy idiot

Derek, Mike, and Dave. Thanks, it was definitely a blast. I'm already planning for the next adventure.

Tick tock

Congratulations Drew! Way to go with beating your own goal time! Smile

Michelle

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

That was awesome Drew. It always feels good to do better then you thought. It is moments like that that keep you racing. Awesome baby just Awesome.
                  2011 Goals:
                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Me and my gang in Breck

Congratulations on breaking down those walls. 6 minutes under you gold time is quite and accomplishment.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Another Passion

Congratulations Drew! Fantastic race!

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Go Pre!

Well done Drew. Very well done! Next year we will have to hook up!

Lazy idiot

Thanks, all! It was a blast, running definitely has it's hooks in me now. Big grin Daddyo, sorry about not getting back to you on Sunday. I was in and out of sleep on the couch on Sunday. Sorry the Blue Jackets didn't really give you much of a show. Hope you enjoyed the city, and we will have to hook up next year.

Tick tock

va

Drew, Congrats on finishing your first half, and with such a great time! Well done!
                            Congratulations!
                            Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers

Go Pre!

Congratulations!
                              nice - a one year late congrats!

Lazy idiot

nice - a one year late congrats!
                                Wink I was trying to scam a free race number a few weeks ago. I think I could crush that PR (y'know, if I ever actually ran). Sadly, I never had anyone willing to give me a freebie. And also, yesterday was hours of nausea and headaches.

Tick tock