Marathon + Carbo Loading whole wheat style (Read 716 times)

Go Pre!

Your thoughts on carbo loading with... Whole wheat vs regular pasta Brown vs white rice whole wheat vs white bread (vs bagel) potatoes vs all others rice noodles?

A Saucy Wench

Since I rarely eat refined carbs I find them to be a shock to my system. I do best if I stick to whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, brown rice, barilla plus pasta...etc. Just more of it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

finney

Resident pinniped

The only thought in my mind is what would happen to me if I ate that much fiber before a race. Here are a few visuals to help you out: Shocked Surprised Embarrassed Dead Tight lipped

Go Pre!

fibre? where? And plus, it is the usual amounts I am talking about, just wondering what offers up better loading.
            Loading is about carbs...from that standpoint your body does not care whether the wheat is whole or not. The rest is about what you prefer. I normally eat whole wheat pasta - but my new favorite pre-race food is ravioli - lots of it. Ravioli has been very very good to me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The Greatest of All Time

I always eat the grainier version of everything you listed, pre-race or not. I have a very high fiber diet (>50g per day) so I don't shy away from fiber the day before a race. But there is not a whole lot of fiber in the foods you listed anyway (even the whole wheat versions) so you should be ok. As Bonkin pointed out, for carbo loading purposes it probably doesn't matter. The whole purpose of carbo loading is to make sure your glycogen tanks are topped off. Since you lose some glycogen stores while you're sleeping it's a good idea to eat some more carbs about 2 hours before the race. Obviously for short races, it doesn't really matter.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.