Garmin 305 Addiction (Read 2021 times)

I am wondering how a guy with over 30 yrs of running and over 65,000 miles logged has gotten so attached to his Garmin 305--known to one RA poster as "Garmie". When I started logging miles back in 1976 I had an old timex--not even a stop watch. Stop watches back then were rather large and bulky. I was so excited to get a Casio running watch back in '78: It had a stop watch right in the watch!! Over the years I got into Polar HR monitors when they hit the market. Got a Fit Sense with foot pod. Had a Garmin 101--the brick. Last May bought a 305. Best by far so far--though I noted Garmin has a 405 due out this Spring. My 305 died yesterday--over 1,500 miles. I went into a kinda shock. How would I know all the stuff that my 305 captures when I run without it? I have a marathon in several weeks. My plan was to order another one--over night shipment and send the "old" one back to Garmin for repair. Sick huh? Well, I fiddled with the buttons and it came back to life. It kinda scares me that I have grown so reliant on it. I guess I love the immediate feedback of current pace--that after 100's of miles and numerous races I am amazed it is so accurate. I always could judge pace--pretty weel--but found--unless I was on a track I normally would either be too slow for goal pace or too fast. Oh, thanks for letting me share. Nick

Dave

Nick, I never would have suspected you of being a Garmin addict. On the plus side, I think I run more consistently, both in frequency and pace with the Garmin. On the downside, I've actually turned around and not run because the batteries were dead Sad I'm pretty happy with my 305 and will not buy the 405 unless this one dies on me. Even then, I might buy a used 305 before I shell out the extra money for a device with (arguably) lesser capability.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

hup

You're preaching to the choir, my friend Big grin I also started with a Timex .... not a digital but one with a "sweep second hand" ! Wink I sent my 305 back to have its beep restored. It should be back this week. Luckily I convinced my wife that we absolutely couldn't pass up the Costco price + Powerbar rebate before the holidays. Yesterday she asked, "so, how's my watch?" Wink
          My 305 died yesterday--over 1,500 miles. Well, I fiddled with the buttons and it came back to life.
          Just because I've been in this panic a few times myself, I'll post the Garmin link for resetting a "locked-up" device: http://www8.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=5923

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I finally broke down and bought a 205, and set out for my inaugural voyage on Friday night. I hit an ice patch and went down, after a quick assessment of my personal well-being my thoughts turned immediately to the Garmin. I was quite relieved to find it unscathed, these things do grow on you pretty quickly. I normally run one of a number of well-worn courses, but for my Sunday long run I just got onto my town's main drag and headed for Cambridge/Boston. It was SO nice to just be able to run on a whim, the new turf was refreshing and the people-watching was world-class. Now I'm just left wondering why I waited so long.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I was so excited to get a Casio running watch back in '78: It had a stop watch right in the watch!!
              I started running about 8 years after that, but I can still relate. My first running watch was a Timex Triathlon 8-lap watch that I got in '86. I was wowed by that fact that I could take splits for all 8 laps of the 2-mile! At that time, I couldn't conceive of a running watch needing more features than that. And GPS watches weren't even a gleam in some engineer's eye -- if I wanted to know how far my run really was, I asked Mom and Dad for the car keys. Cool

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Nick, I never would have suspected you of being a Garmin addict. On the plus side, I think I run more consistently, both in frequency and pace with the Garmin. On the downside, I've actually turned around and not run because the batteries were dead Sad I'm pretty happy with my 305 and will not buy the 405 unless this one dies on me. Even then, I might buy a used 305 before I shell out the extra money for a device with (arguably) lesser capability.
                I am also a runaholic. And, keeping track of the miles over the last 31+ years and # of races pretty much puts me in a OCD. I do go to meetings and now rarely run over 20 miles at a time. Most important is--I still have fun--running is my play--though sometimes I can get a little too serious. When I post for Newbies to slow down--enjoy the journey I am preaching to myself also. Nick
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm addicted to my 305, also, and it's been only a couple of weeks! I feel a little sheepish about it - since I'm such a slow, new runner, it's really overkill for me, but what the heck! It's fun! I love knowing exactly how far I've gone without having to drive the route. It does help a little that I can lend it to my son, who is a good runner!
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm pretty happy with my 305 and will not buy the 405 unless this one dies on me. Even then, I might buy a used 305 before I shell out the extra money for a device with (arguably) lesser capability.
                    Ditto. and I have also decided that if "Big Red" were to die on me that I'd buy a second one while the original is in the shop.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

All things in moderation, people. I'm happy to say that I own a Garmin 205 and although I enjoy it for long runs on unfamiliar roads, or making up routes on the fly, or long workouts on unmarked courses, I am not addicted to it. I use it once or twice a week, maybe.

Runners run

I'm addicted to using my 305. Before mine was given to me as a gift, I ran holding my cell phone, using it's stopwatch feature. Roll eyes The Garmin is awesome because I often just head out the door and alter my routes according to traffic and now I can do that with confidence on knowing how far I've run.

Michelle

I ran with my Garmin 305 for the first time yesterday and i cant believe how awesome it is. I'd always heard everyone talk about it and decided i had to have one! i've always just run with a regular watch or none at all and this thing is amazing! It was my xmas present and i never want to run without it again lol! Big grin
                          kcam

'Nother 205 addict. I use it on runs that I've done a hundred times before, just like the info. I must admit to feeling a certain feeling of freedom when running a route WITHOUT the 205! But I still use the 205 9 out of 10 runs. I still have my old Timex Ironman 100 lapper though I haven't used it in over a year.
                              Hi. My name's Chris and I'm a Garmin addict. I don't even run on the treadmill without the Garmin and footpod attached. I like the freedom I feel with being able to run on different streets but still keep track of the distance and not worry about mapping it at home.
                              "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                                I still have my old Timex Ironman 100 lapper though I haven't used it in over a year.
                                Sadly, it was the loss of my Ironman 100 lapper that led to the Garmin purchase. For all of $40 that watch served me well for a long time. One thing I miss is the interval alarms on the Ironman, they sound like a smoke detector in comparison to the Garmin's feeble beeps. Hope they fixed that on the shiny new 405.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.