First half marathon in a few weeks... pacing/expectation question (Read 2164 times)

xor

New addiction for me...starburst flavor jelly beans.  Wife bought a bag of these home the other day and I almost killed the entire thing.  I think they may be a limited time thing for Easter though.  Would love to have those for a possible CIM run in December.

You will need them too, considering CIM is a hateful ultima race.

You will need them too, considering CIM is a hateful ultima race.

Yeah, I learned about the hatred of Ultima from all of you here.  I just stuck to powerbar gel and water anyway.

wickedlady

Just thought I'd update since I ran a 5k yesterday... first race since last Octoberish.  My time was 29:45.  This was about 10:00 for mile 1, 9:30ish each for the next 2 miles, and as fast as I could towards the end.  I dunno if this gives a better inkling as to what I should be aiming for in the half.  I definitely could not sustain this pace for 13.1 miles of course....

You and I are very similar.  I ran a 5K a couple of weeks before my 1st HM and finished in 29Tight lippedx.  The HM was 2:27Tight lippedx but I've got to admit that I socialized a lot in the race by dancing with the bands, checking with a pirate spectator about the Jimmy Buffett concert the prior night, doubling back once to see if there was a blender of margaritas.....  I think that you should enjoy every last second of your first HM and don't worry about the time.  Once you finish, it will be a PR.  You'll have lots of time in the future to improve your times.  Have fun and report back about your race.

wickedlady

Well, I ran my race today and it went great!  MilkTruck, I used your strategy of breaking the race into 6m, 10m, then final 3.1.  It really helped me a lot mentally and I feel gave me such a solid strategy.  They did not have km markers so I aimed for 11:30-12 minute miles.  I ended up being under every single time.  I pushed it to about 11 minutes for the 6-10 stretch, still feeling pretty good aside from a little foot pain.  Then I tried to keep it about 10-1030 minute miles for the last 5k.  I stopped really watching though at that point and just tried to get myself to the finish line as best I could.  Ended up with 2:29:46 as my final race time.  Extremely happy with the time, but even more so, with how strong I felt throughout, even at the end!  Thanks everyone for your wisdom, it really made a difference for me Smile

wickedlady

Oh yeah, the other cool thing was that the leading marathon runner passed right by me at the end.. that gave me the strength to push a little harder that last 10th of a mile Smile

Nice work - Great race. Well done! Smile

2017 Goals
                1) Run more than 231 miles
                2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Oh yeah, the other cool thing was that the leading marathon runner passed right by me at the end.. that gave me the strength to push a little harder that last 10th of a mile Smile

Nice work!  Sounds like you ran a great first half marathon.

I've finished at the same time as the marathon winner in a couple of half marathons I've run...I always pretend the crowd is cheering for me.  Smile