What to do after a race? (Read 970 times)

Having finished my 1st HM today, how should I start back training. I learned a lot about tapering but haven't even thought of the recovery. I gave it my all and am pretty sore...I'm getting a sports massage tomorrow morning. What do you guys suggest as far as training for the next few days?
    keep running!
      Run very easy for the next week. Some people take several days off after a hard race, but I like to get out and run at least a few easy miles the day after the race.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

realistically consider taking a few weeks off from serious training bar a few light runs to turn the legs over or even some water running. Just don't underestimate the impact that your first half mara at race pace can have on your body, so listen to what it tells you and don't over do it Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

drink a beer or so. yeah, you are just 18, but it looks like you are drinking beer in mexico. so, if you don't want to break america law, go there. i drank plenty of beer when i was that age. besides that, yeah the masage sounds good. drink plenty of water. walk a good deal. resume running in a couple days. take it as it comes.
          Hannibal Granite

From your log you were doing about 30 miles a week of mostly easy runs for the last 2 months with a long run of 10 miles a couple of times, with no runs coming close to the distance or time on feet of your race. This would be analagous to a person doing a couple 20 miles long runs in ~3 hours and then running a marathon in ~4, the training is sufficient to complete the distance, but not enough to prevent the body from asking a metaphorical WTF? for the next few days (or weeks). A good rule of thumb after a marathon is to do a reverse taper and then don't start any serious training until all soreness has gone away. I think it is a good idea to not do hard training after any race if there is still soreness from it. Given your recent training and youth I would suggest at least 2-3 days of running when and if you want to and can do so without unbearable soreness (if you were 10 or more years older I would suggest a week of running when/if you feel like it). It is quite impressive that you maintained a faster pace in your 1/2 Marathon than in any of your training runs without putting in really high mileage, you clearly have some ability keep it up.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Having finished my 1st HM today, how should I start back training. I learned a lot about tapering but haven't even thought of the recovery. I gave it my all and am pretty sore...I'm getting a sports massage tomorrow morning. What do you guys suggest as far as training for the next few days?
              The formula I like is no hard or long runs for - 1 day for each mile you raced plus 2 days for every decade past 40 years old. For example half marathon = 13 days . You can run easy if it doesn't hurt too much, just walk if necessary. Don't rush it.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I'm also a fan of the reverse taper. Take it easy for a week and do a lot of walking rather than running. Then slowly build your mileage back up.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Double IPA Please!

Ahh, yes that handy search feature- I was just asking this same question..this is helpful to me as well..

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)