PT test in a month (Read 137 times)

buck450

Hello,

I've slightly let myself go and am between 4 and 5 minutes off my run with about 5 weeks out till test. I need 17:00 minutes for two miles. Any suggestions is recommended.

xhristopher

Get a good nights sleep then down a double espresso before the run.

Feeling the growl again

You're talking about taking a quarter of your time off in 5 weeks.  No offense but inventing time travel is right up there on practical strategies.

Realistically, I would focus on dropping weight, running as much as you can EASY, and a couple up-tempo, more challenging runs per week.

It takes about 2 weeks to benefit from training.  You'll need to rest a few days at the end.  So really you have less than three weeks of real training benefit to achieve before your deadline.

If you are aggressive you can lost 7-9 lbs in that timeframe.  That may benefit you as much as actually training, depending on your current BF%.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

pedaling fool

You're talking about taking a quarter of your time off in 5 weeks.  No offense but inventing time travel is right up there on practical strategies.

Realistically, I would focus on dropping weight, running as much as you can EASY, and a couple up-tempo, more challenging runs per week.

It takes about 2 weeks to benefit from training.  You'll need to rest a few days at the end.  So really you have less than three weeks of real training benefit to achieve before your deadline.

If you are aggressive you can lost 7-9 lbs in that timeframe.  That may benefit you as much as actually training, depending on your current BF%.

I agree with the above, but have a question. What kind of base do you have? A well-established base and it's relatively easy to get back, but if you never really had much of a base, then it's especially important to take the above recommendations.

But whatever, I would definitely start off with slow, long runs and work yourself up to some easy tempos. The more out of shape, the more important it is to ease back into this.

Start now.  Now, not tomorrow.  Not later today.  Now.  Go run at least a mile real slow.  Do it again tomorrow.  And the next day.  And every single day after that.  Increase your distance to two miles the second week, and three miles the third week.  Run slow enough that you can still talk in complete sentences.  Do not even look at your time.  Run fast once a week, fast enough that you are breathing hard.

If you also do the diet thing to reduce weight, eat normal starting 4 or 5 days before your test.

If you're currently in the Army, look for the nearest Army Wellness Center and make an appointment.  They do all sorts of helpful baseline testing (weight, bodyfat percentage, aerobic fitness, strength, flexibility, basal metabolic rate) that can help you make the improvements you want to make for this or your next pt test.  They offer nutritional counseling, basic workout plans, etc.  All for free.  Well worth taking advantage of : )

2014 - heal the sinuses and move to Germany!

2015 - Paris Marathon 12 April