Gah, what is causing this?! (Read 504 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For almost a month I have been dealing with left knee weakness and pain at the start of my runs (started after a few runs on unplowed snow and ice...but we have had warmer, clear weather now for several weeks). Then as I keep running the pain seems to travel down the side of my calf and around to my achilles/lower calf. Last Saturday I did a long run and had really no problems and thought maybe I was finally rid of these issues, but they have returned for my last couple of runs. I am now down to only 3 runs/week, at most, giving myself 2 days off between runs...but this is getting ridiculous. I don't have much in the way of pain or weakness in any of these areas EXCEPT when I run. I replaced my shoes at around ~250 miles (which is when I replaced my first pair of shoes when I started having nagging pains--first time I did that it worked) with the same model I previously had, thinking that would help...and at first I thought it was helping, but now I'm not so sure. And the left leg issues are compounded by the recurrent numb right foot issues I've had occasionally for a few months, now (I think that issue is very likely chronic compartment syndrome based upon my symptoms and long history of painfully tight, hard calves). Is it possible I have the wrong shoes (New Balance 1222)? I can't imagine this would be the case, as I happily ran a half marathon in this model and really had no pain issues with my shoes until after the snow running episodes. These are shoes for moderate to severe pronators. My arches are average to even slightly flat. My previous shoes were NB 845s for mild-to-moderate pronators, but I seemed to have more shin splint issues with those. Nov. was a horrendous month for running due to my FIL's death and lots of time spent traveling by car and not able to run...I had really hoped that Dec. would make up for the previous month, but so far it's just been pretty miserable. I'm almost starting to dread January, since I know the weather is likely to get pretty bad, now. I NEED a good month. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

www.WebMD.com is a good source of information for illnesses or injury. However, it's very easy to miss-diagnose yourself. It wouldn't be a bad idea to see a real doctor. Doing a search on knee weakness produced the following: "(Knee) pain may make your knee and the muscles around it feel weak..." Also: "Other causes of weakness, stiffness, or decreased movement include: -Damaged muscles, tendons, bones, or nerves. -A dislocated kneecap. -Another medical condition, such as arthritis." My guess is that it isn't a shoe issue, but a problem with a muscle, tendon, etc. and will probably require you to lay off of running for a couple of weeks to allow proper healing. But that is a total guess, and I'm not a doctor. However, I have had tendonitis in the past and it took forever to heal. I blamed everything from my shoes to the camber of the road. Regardless of what caused it, it really sucked. I wish you well and I hope you find the problem to be easily fixed.
      That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run....Forrest Gump
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, the shoe thing didn't seem too likely, particularly when I've been quite happy with them (enough to buy a second pair and not really even consider any other models, even though they aren't a cheap shoe). I still can't figure out why some of my runs are almost entirely pain-free, then the issues return. And I don't really have much in the way of pain or discomforts when I'm not running, which makes things extra frustrating when I take my first step and instantly feel that things are "off" and uncomfortable. I have an appt. with my PCP as a follow-up to my allergy treatments on 1/9, so if this is still an issue I will ask him. Luckily he is very active in sports (on several occasions he has been on crutches from various snowboarding injuries and my hubby has seen him out on his bike and biked along with him for a few miles, too) and might have some ideas or know who to refer me to if I need additional care. I think I will be keeping my ass on the sofa from now on if there's measurable snow on the ground. I may think about seeing if the little fitness club in town offers month-to-month memberships if we hit a long snowy stretch, that way I can at least use a treadmill or elliptical. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay