The upside of being slow (Read 864 times)

Best Present Ever

I've been feeling bad about running -- I'm slow, I'll never be faster, blah blah blah. I started running in 1999 with a women's 4-mile race and ran for a few years. (When I finished that race in 44 minutes flat, I felt the same elation that I'd had after the birth of my first child. When I ran my first marathon last year, everyone told me it would be a transformational event -- honestly, it didn't even come close to that 4 miler.) I took off a few years when things got a bit difficult (2 babies, a marriage, getting my eldest through high school and a doctoral degree all in the same 4 years didn't leave a lot of time for running), and started running again consistently summer 2005. In my attempt to cheer myself up, I realized that since I started again in 2005, I have run a PR in every single race save one, and that was a half marathon last fall following an 8-week lay off in which I ran within a few seconds of the prior year's times. I've taken 7 minutes off my 5k, 15+ minutes off my 10 miler, 34+ min from my half marathon, and 15 from my marathon time. My orginal goal was to consistently run 15-20 miles a week , be able to race with a 10 minute pace. and never ever be the last runner over the finish line! Now I'm trying to figure out where I could possibly find the time to get up to 70 mpw in the fall (answer: it's just not possible for me), feel itchy that I've haven't run over 40 miles in a few weeks, and frustrated that a BQ is still so far away. Ok, I feel better now ....
      I don't think too many people would consider you slow. If they do... they must be fast. Smile Within your age group I imagine you are somewhere between front of the pack and middle of the pack. I would not consider that slow. That would definatly make me slow.

Mamaofthree, Not to make the cardinal sin of guessing a ladies age, but based on your history of kids in HS back in 2005 I guessed at mid forties (sorry if off) But at 45 - female your age grade is > 63%, which is in the Local class range.... So I would say you are definetly not slow. Especially since I (39 - M) am about the same times of your 10 mile, half and hopefully May marathon. So if you are slow at this age grade that would make me really slow, which although i know i am not really fast ... I do not think I am really slow ... maybe slightly above average for my age (54% age grade which i assume that of 100 runners same age I would be in the 54th percentile and finish 46th??), but not bad for my experience (only been running like 14 months). Good job on this years races!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I've been feeling bad about running -- I'm slow, I'll never be faster, blah blah blah.
          I don't see the reasoning behind "I'll never be faster", your record of improvement says otherwise. I would be willing to bet that consistency is the single most important factor in your improvement so far. If bumping up to 70 mpw didn't put you on the bench it would certainly make you faster, but there are other ways to skin the BQ cat. It's the ever popular topic of quality versus quantity, and risk versus reward. Adding hill work, fartleks and fast finish long runs can improve speed without a major mileage increase. (If writing all that actually did make you feel better, it's great stuff. Vent away, knowing you'll always find a receptive and supportive audience here. But you also know we'll expect you to lace 'em up and take out your frustration by pounding the pavement into submission.) Give yourself a little more credit for your progress to date, and just keep adding miles to your base. Even sneaking in an extra half mile on a couple of runs a week can make a big difference over the course of a year.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Best Present Ever

Thanks, guys. I'm 43, will be 44 this year, so mid-40s was a good guess (and you're safe, as I'm not much of a lady.) Running's a funny thing -- fast and slow is so relative. I think I need some slower friends! I run with folks older than I am who run me into the ground ... I just needed to whine. I feel better now. Smile

Outside Lane

Your times are great - cut yourself some slack. I see more PRs in your future. Smile

See how they run...