It's My Runnerversary August 22, 2007, How long have you guys been at this. (Read 122 times)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

August 22, 2007 18:27 5:56 min/mi my first 5k

August 22, 2007 boy did 12 years go fast.  12 years older  and I'm 53lbs lighter. Don't know if my knees and joints will hate me in 10 more years but boy has this journey been fun. I was reading this kids Facebook post he had to be hospitalized in Falmouth recently and is now home and wrote a letter stating for health reasons he was quitting running. I think he's only been around for 3 years.  So folks pace yourselves. The sport is fun if you don't take it too seriously. Take care of yourselves. This sport has a steep learning curve what works for one won't work for all. Sometimes what works one year, won't work for other years. Every person is unique and so their approach to training has to be unique. I have never followed a plan, built my own system and train by Stotan principles. As you get older and wiser go your own way and make sure it remains fun and painless (oxymoron).

Good Morning to all my running friends, yesterday at the New Balance Falmouth Road Race 3.06 Miles into the race my entire right leg locked up. 1 minute later I could not stand. I was lifted onto a stretcher and transported to the local hospital. Finally four hours later I was finally able to walk with assistance from my girlfriend and a nurse at Falmouth Hospital. I was wheeled out around 3:30 PM and spent the remainder of this trip in a hotel bed. It seems my injury has finally gotten to the point where I can no longer race without something severe happening. I want to thank everyone for their constant support, the memories made and the amazing community I was welcomed into in 2016 with open arms. This truly is the greatest sport in the world. I am officially walking away from racing for the rest of the year to focus on my health and my future. Thanks for taking the time to read this and good luck to everyone on the rest of their season.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ran in HS, Sept 1960 - May 1964, then stopped after graduation.

Began running again on May 3, 1968 and have been running regularly ever since.

Nimmals, your knees and joints should thank you in 10 years as long as you avoid nasty falls tripping on rocks and roots, or curbs.  As for the kid you quoted, it sounds like he had an injury going into the race and tried to run through it or ignored it until it was too late.  That's a hard lesson to learn and a hard way to learn it.  Fortunately I survived mine and now have well over 50 years of running and racing under my belt.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

It was a harsh lesson he is young too he appears to be under 30 years old. I cam back to running to late to hit 50 years but if i can have another 15 good years ill be happy. God bless you I've seen you around from the old RWOL back with Hillrunner and those guys. You're doing it the right way and remain a steadfast beacon for those who hope to enjoy many more years in the sport.

Marky_Mark_17

June 1, 2015 was my first recorded run with a GPS watch, so that's kinda where I go from (conveniently it's a nice round date).  I did my first HM later that year.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mikeymike

I've logged 42,000 #onhere since 2002 but there was some running before that that I didn't log anywhere. It's been fun and I've made some great friends and had some amazing experiences that don't make any dense to the normies. Their loss, really.

Just yesterday I was in Minneapolis for work and met up with three friends I only know from running. All four of us--including a couple who are married--only know each other via this dumb website and first met in real life at a race in 2008.

When I think about all the hours I've spent running is when it starts to seem a little nuts. But it's kept me as close to sane as I'm gonna get ... and anyway if there had been something more useful I could have done with all those hours I'm sure I would have done it, probably.

Runners run

rlopez

I have quit running a number of times.

Originally, I was a triathlete circa 1988-1989. Quit.

Started running again on 10/31/2000 after Fat rlopez volunteered at Kona Ironman one too many times.

Got sick in 2012. Didn't quit.
              Quit long stuff in 2017. Quit entirely in March of this year. So, 18 1/2 years.
              Have tentatively started again.

Life is long. Even when it isn't.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I started in 1977 stopped from 94 to to the end of 98.  Have run

since then

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

I'm a real vet, having been at this since September 18th, 2018. Wink

I wish I had started earlier!

Joann Y

I started keeping a running log on RA in June 2012 and have run 11000+ miles since that time. Didn't keep track before that. Started out with a goal 10 mile race run at 10:35 pace in July 2012 to my best race to date (3:37 Chicago marathon, 8:18 pace, BQ -17) in October 2017 to hobbling along now trying to patch together runs every other day with biking, hiking and whatever I can do to get through a long bout of plantar fasciitis and hopefully eek in a few more good races before I clock out. There have been many miles of just feeling that breeze, plenty of pain, and the rare moments of pure exquisite joy. I feel like there is a lot more in me and if nothing else, running has taught me the patience to wait for it.

Congrats on the runnerversary, nimmals.

Joann Y

Oh yeah. I did some googling but curious what you mean when you say you train by Stotan principles.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

I'm a real vet, having been at this since September 18th, 2018. Wink

I wish I had started earlier!

I hope you are young.  If you came to it too late, you'd have missed out on what could have been highlights in your life.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I joined RA in May 2006. I started running in March of that year (first day of Spring!).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I can’t remember the exact date, but I also started running in August 2007 at the age of 41 and ran my first ever race the following month...the Hellingly 10k in a time of 51:21. I was well pleased with that as my goal was to break one hour! 😀

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Oh yeah. I did some googling but curious what you mean when you say you train by Stotan principles.

Stotan principles are many and varied, but most importantly it involves training by feel, embracing a holistic regime of natural diets, extremely hard training in natural surrounds, and mental stimulation. By stotan principle you live and train on tenets.  I know some Stotans who take a different approach to training but though different they are all based on phronesis (practical wisdom) learned from experience and then applying it effectively.  To some it seems to lack a science based approach as training schedules are not regimented and planned out. I have my own four tenets that are the cornerstone for my athletes training

1. Honesty    40%

2. Flexbility 30%

3. Self reliance 20%

4. Mental Toughness 10%

All of which are weighted so the most important is Honesty. Honesty keeps you from over training, it helps you recognize impending injury or burn out. Reaffirms, by evaluating your commitment. If you are honest in your approach to your training, you hold yourself accountable and train to the level you've set. Honesty also make you choose smart attainable goals.

Flexibility is my favorite. My girls love it. Honesty make them consider a workout as assigned. It leads them to be able to think be empowered to make choices and changes.  "Am I on my 1st day hmmm its an intense workout?".  In steps tenet 2, flexibility, that combined honesty let them say "coach I have my period today so Iam just going do to a longish easy run which is better than hard intervals considering my present condition.

See how it works, I use these examples because I mostly coach women. Stotan principles allow you to not merely follow instruction but to promote changes that best suit the athlete.  I tend to be long winded so I'll stop here, its simplified but I hope you get the point.

I started running in 1978. Before sports bras were invented

Good times.