Buying "Old" New Shoes. (Read 174 times)

I found the style of shoe I like back in 2013ish.  (For Me, ASICS Gel-Nimbus 15).  I bought the first pair from a store, but since then, I have bought more pairs over time, usually from Ebay.    -- It was about a year ago that the Gel Nimbus 16's came out, but there are still a ton of Gel Nimbus 15's on Ebay and similar sites.    Now granted, they stopped making the Nimbus 15's the better part of a year ago, so even a "New" shoe in a Nimbus 15 is probably 9 to 12 months old, or more.  This is old stock that goes out at lower prices than the newest model of the same shoe.

My basic question is:   How "old" can a brand new shoe get before it starts to materially affect the quality of the shoe?   Is there any real research out there on if a new, unused shoe loses a little of  its' cushioning or stiffens up to any degree if it has sat on a shelf for a year or two?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

runmichigan

Here is an article from Running Times back in 2003 that says it takes several years for them to break down.  See http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/ask-coaches-shoe-deterioration

That answered it for me, thanks.  I'll grab a couple pairs of my favorite pair + favorite color + hold 'em awhile.  

PS.  Man, they have added a lot of popups over at Runners World !

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞