pace difference between short and long runs (Read 871 times)

What's a good pace difference between short and long runs. I've used to be a one pace runner but have trying to widen the pace difference between short and long runs (with questionable success). Even so, I don't feel any less tired on long runs than if I were to go at a natural pace, in fact, sometimes it feels like I'm more tired. Probably in my head Tongue I saw a user's log and he runs long runs _faster_ than his short runs (and major mileage). should I try this (minus the major mileage)?

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

It's not short and long runs. Easy runs can be short or long, as can quality work. Most of your runs, short and long, should be easy, and probably about the same pace. Whoever you're looking at is probably doing his long runs as 'quality'. Taking one of your shorter runs and making it a 'tempo' where you push the pace is more what you might try to do. Good Luck
      mikeymike

I agree with Viich, though I would say most of the time easy runs are on the shorter end of the spectrum. The question is what are you trying to accomplish with each run?

Runners run

I agree with Viich. The pace would depend on what your objective is rather than if the run is long or short. I usually run my long ones faster than most of the others because I consider it a key workout. I run 2 key workouts a week and sometimes 3. Everything that isn't a key workout would be easy or slow. Sometimes the long run will be easy if it comes the day after a harder workout or race. Easy for me would be apprx. 2 min per mile slower than current 10k race pace, give or take a few seconds, and sometimes slower than that. I live down the road from you in San Jose. A couple races to consider for your 10k and HM goals might be the Alameda Run for the Parks 10k (tentative date Aug 3). and San Jose Rock 'n Roll HM in October. They are both flat, fast courses and well organized. Nice goin' in the Run for Literacy 5k.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            I agree with Viich, though I would say most of the time easy runs are on the shorter end of the spectrum. The question is what are you trying to accomplish with each run?
            Typing our responses at the same time again I see... Smile
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

The Greatest of All Time

Ideally each run or workout should have a purpose and each type of run will likely have a different pace. Distance often is irrelevant, although most people don't do 20 mile tempo runs, etc.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                Basically, I agree with the consenus that the goal of the workout, rather than the length of the run, should determine the pace. Actually, I prefer to talk about training "intensity" instead of "pace". For a given level of intensity (VO2max, LT, GA, recovery) pace can vary depending on the conditions of the day, particularly terrain, weather, the amount of rest that you have had, and the amount of stress that you are under. However, having said that, I don't agree that all non-hard running should be at about the same intensity. The aerobic conditioning zone spans a fairly wide intensity range....60-80% HRmax, for instance. As a general rule of thumb, paces that approximate the aerobic conditioning zone fall in the range of 1-2 minutes/mile slower than current 10k race pace. I think it is beneficial to utilize a good bit of the aerobic conditioning range in training. If one does that, it naturally follows that some shorter runs can be in the upper part of the range (such as 75-80% HRmax or closer to 1 minute slower than 10k race pace) and longer runs in the lower portion of the range (such as 65-75% HRmax or closer to 2 minutes slower than 10k race pace) and remain in the aerobic conditioning zone. That isn't to say that all aerobic conditioning training runs should be planned and programed according to those guidelines. For instance, a "short" run the day after a race or a long run that is intended as a "recovery" run should be kept nearer to the "easy" end of the aerobic conditioning range. OTOH, in the case of two or more consecutive "short" run days, one or more of them can....and should....be more toward the upper end of the range. One example is when base building over a period of weeks or months with little or no "hard" days other than long runs. In that case, short runs should be spread over the aerobic conditioning spectrum. Training isn't always black or white. There are shades of gray. The distance and intensity of each run should be structured to accomplish the goal of the individual workout and, also, to fit into the broader training scheme.
                mikeymike

Nice work, Jim2. You've managed to capture virtually all of my running message board pet peeves in one amazing post. 1. You led off with a semantic discussion; whether "pace" or "intensity" is a more appropriate word. 2. In the same paragraph you used most of the major scientific-sounding acronyms for hard and easy; VO2max, LT, GA etc. 3. You used the word "zone" three times by my count. 4. You introduced heart rate training and the acronym, "HR" to the discussion. 5. Good ole' % of HR Max. Nicely done. One of my favorites. 6. You answered a yes/no question with a six paragraph message and still managed to reiterate almost exactly what all the previous posters had said and no more. Well done. PS: Don't mind me I'm just in a mischievous mood today. As Q would say, "Dood, beer me!"

Runners run

Nice work, Jim2. You've managed to capture virtually all of my running message board pet peeves in one amazing post. 1. You led off with a semantic discussion; whether "pace" or "intensity" is a more appropriate word. 2. In the same paragraph you used most of the major scientific-sounding acronyms for hard and easy; VO2max, LT, GA etc. 3. You used the word "zone" three times by my count. 4. You introduced heart rate training and the acronym, "HR" to the discussion. 5. Good ole' % of HR Max. Nicely done. One of my favorites. 6. You answered a yes/no question with a six paragraph message and still managed to reiterate almost exactly what all the previous posters had said and no more. Well done. PS: Don't mind me I'm just in a mischievous mood today. As Q would say, "Dood, beer me!"
                    Needs emoticons! Wink Evil grin Cool Shy The more, Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin the better Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Some folks think it makes you seem like a clown Wink Clowning around I say no! Angry Mikey, Can I buy you a Carona?
                    mikeymike

Mikey, Can I buy you a Carona?
                      Dood! I said beer not fruit delivery mechanism.

Runners run

JakeKnight

Dood! I said beer not fruit delivery mechanism.
                        Easy! Stay - on - target.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Glad you enjoyed it. Wink Edit: OK, I'll answer each the OP's two yes/no questions with one word: Q: "What's a good pace difference between short and long runs." A: Yes Q: "I saw a user's log and he runs long runs _faster_ than his short runs (and major mileage). should I try this (minus the major mileage)?" A: No
                          mikeymike

Excellent revision. Now the important question is can you offer me anything better than a Corona?

Runners run

JakeKnight

Excellent revision. Now the important question is can you offer me anything better than a Corona?
                              What a Masshole.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Think Whirled Peas

Now the important question is can you offer me anything better than a Corona?
                                done: MTA: Sorry, it looks as though I may have passed you one that has already been drank drunk drinked consumed.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>