Lean Legs (Read 769 times)

My sweet new crank!

Looking for some advice. I am six two 195-199 lbs. Not chiseled, but not too 'top heavy'. I know core work will help my midsection trim up. But I really think i have 10 - 15 lbs left to go. I want to know if anyone can offer advice for legs. I have solid (read, not fat) heavy thighs. I do not have 'elite' runners legs as far as shape goes. Any thoughts on the best things to do, running included to lean up? Or is it as much nutrition as well?
    Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

A is A

The shape of your body will be determined primarily by genetics. You may never have your ideal runner's legs -- maybe not even close. If your body fat percentage is already normal or low, you will probably just have to live with what ya got. Doing exercises that target the legs will only lead to more muscle in the area, which I suspect is not what you want. Although I suppose it is worth a try as leg exercises can build muscle in areas that you don't normally work, in which case the overall shape of the leg may change, somewhat. I can't say whether this may lead to better-looking runner's legs, though. (FYI: My favorite exercise for legs is squats!) Perhaps you have a somewhat high body-fat percentage. Getting that down a little more may help improve the appearance of your legs, so eating right and burning calories with running will of course help you lose weight, but weight loss may not significantly change the shape of your legs. ...there aint nothin' wrong with a nice big set of strong legs, though. I'm just sayin'.
      Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Are you looking for a certain shape strictly for aesthetic reasons, or are you trying to change your shape in order to make yourself faster?

Slow-smooth-fast

I was stuck at your weight for a while. I currently weigh about 188lbs, but want to lose another 21lbs. I follow a very strict low fat diet and do plenty of ab training. I dont do a lot on the legs, as my training involves working them hard anyway. Try doing some hillwork - hill reps, x country, fell running. Mix it up and they will shape up.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Heavy weights build up muscle...hi reps with lower weights will define and "may" reduce size. Sprinters have bigger thighs so they can be more explosive in the start. Maybe you are just cut out to be faster over shorter distances... If you can run a fair distance at a good pace...your muscles are just the size they need to be...
            UpNorth

I follow a very strict low fat diet and do plenty of ab training.
              For some folks a low-fat diet will work, others (most actually) will respond better to lower carbs and higher fat, while some do best on a Zone type diet (balanced macros). At the end of the day you just need a negaive calorie balance -- burn more than you take in. ... And you can not spot reduce fat. If you want to lose weight through diet with the help of exercise that's great, but genetics determine where the fat will come off first. It has nothing to with the muscles you are working.
              Heavy weights build up muscle...hi reps with lower weights will define and "may" reduce size.
              Thats incorrect. A rep range of 5 or less will induce strength gains. Over that you are primarily working for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. Essentially you will increase the water in your muscles making them bigger and heavier with less strength gains then you'll get from lower reps. Here is a good read on the difference between the two and why runners need to lift HEAVY. In short, eat less and stick to quality foods, and lift heavy in addition to your running and the weight will come down.