20-25 miles each week with no variety. Am I making a mistake? (Read 1122 times)

cikana2

Ok, so I'm 53 and I run 20 miles or so each and every week. I've been running for about 8 years, but have no desire to compete. I just run to get outside and keep the weight off. My runs are always in the 5-8 mile range due to time restraints with family and work. I have had two knee surgeries in the last 20 years but everything works fine now. The knees feel great. I don't really do anything except stretch and run my miles. I don't have any sort of training plan, I don"t do any speed work, I don't time myself, I don't run at any sort of pace other than how I feel during that day and that run. I just have the simple goal of running 20-25 miles each and every week. Am I setting myself up for eventual failure or injury? Is a plan and variety of runs a requirement? Thanks.
      Well, since you have no goals I'd think it's impossible to fail Wink. Actually I did the same thing before I started this Marathon program (Although I did always note how long it took) and I'll go back to doing that very system once I finish the Marathon. If you look back on my log you would see I started running 5'S, then 10's then 15's. I was running 17k's 5 to 6 times a week. So I say nothing wrong with that!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I'm also 53, but have been running for only 9 months. Although I'm not particularly interested in competition, I did do a 10K a couple of months ago. Basically, my training is about like yours. I think it's great. No pressure, no distance measurement, no clock (except overall workout time). If you like it, there's nothing wrong with it. If it ain't broke. . . Big grin Enjoy! Paul
          sounds like you are doing the right thing, to me. Thats what I like about running, each person is running for is own goals and reasons. we are all winners. Smile

TRIing to beat the heat!

Awesome, cikana2! In many ways, I actually envy your routine. No pressure to worry about pace, time, turnover... Like the other posters have said, I think that since you aren't competition focused that you absolutely can't go wrong with what you are doing now. If you 'feel' like you want to challenge your CV system a bit every now and then, you can always throw some striders into your runs. Yay to you!!!! Big grin

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

cikana2

Thanks very much for the comments. I think I'll just keep on, keeping on.
                hey the time you take for mileage is a heck of alot better than being a couch potato for that time! That would really be setting yourself up for injury. Try doing some challenging uphilll hikes if you can, i lost alot of weight doing that alone. Also I do alot of 5ks and 10ks and pretty soon a half marathon. I dont do it to compete at all. I Recomend trying one its alot of fun to get out with others.. And it motivates you to keep running!
                http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com
                Wingz

Professional Noob

If you're happy with it and it's working for you, then you're doing a fantastic job. Big grin Keep up the good work!

Roads were made for journeys...

I run 20 miles or so each and every week. [...] My runs are always in the 5-8 mile range due to time restraints with family and work. [...] The knees feel great. [...] I just have the simple goal of running 20-25 miles each and every week. Am I setting myself up for eventual failure or injury? Is a plan and variety of runs a requirement? Thanks.
                    I think you are doing well for your goals. As long as you aren't injured then you aren't doing it wrong. Given that you aren't looking to be competitive and just want to get out and have fun, running 4 times per week (presumably not all on consecutive days) with individual runs ranging between 20% and 40% of your weekly mileage is pretty much what I'd recommend anyway. No doubt you could get into better shape than you are in now, but if you are happy where you are at then you should be all set and shouldn't have to worry too much about injury.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Right on Hereford...

Well, since you have no goals I'd think it's impossible to fail Wink.
                      Actually, he mentioned three goals: 1) Get outside 2) Maintain body weight 3) Run 20-25 miles each and every week cikana2, it sounds like your current plan is working just fine. One thing about #2, though. The more you run, the more efficient your body will become at running. This means you won't burn as many calories per mile as you used to. Thus, you might eventually reach a point where your current exercise routine no longer maintains your weight. To counterract this, you could add more miles or eat less. Adding more miles should be easy...just run the same amount of time as before (since you're more efficient, you'll cover more distance in that amount of time).
                        Ok, so I'm 53 and I run 20 miles or so each and every week. ... I just have the simple goal of running 20-25 miles each and every week... Am I setting myself up for eventual failure or injury? Is a plan and variety of runs a requirement? Thanks.
                        Sounds like you're doing just fine. I know someone who does almost exactly the same thing. She's about 53 (maybe 54 now) and has no interest in racing, running in events, or anything but just going out to run 5 or so miles 4 or 5 times a week. She always seems to run at the same pace ( 8:38 min/mile by my watch) but doesn't keep track of that - just enjoys doing her 5 miles. That and Pilates, Yoga, and whatever else. As long as you run like you feel and enjoy it, you're unlikely to injure yourself with what you've described. Take it easy, and enjoy the running.
                        JakeKnight

Am I setting myself up for eventual failure or injury? Is a plan and variety of runs a requirement? Thanks.
                          My 2 cents: There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. You might be marginally more prone to injury, but at your weekly mileage I don't think it will matter. If it concerns you, just cut back once in a while or do a little cross-training. However, I do think you'll hit (or already have hit) a plateau in improvement much faster that way, and stay there much longer, than people who mix up their training. I think in almost every athletic pursuit, variety is a catalyst for improvement. But forgetting all that ... you might want to just give the whole variety thing a try. It doesn't have to be complicated. For example, keep two of your runs just as they are; make the third run shorter but faster, just fast enough to be different - maybe 30 seconds quicker per mile - and maybe throw in a few striders (short pick me ups, maybe 100 meters long, where you run quick but don't sprint); and then run longer one day, which might, for you, mean a couple extra miles - say 10 miles. I'm just guessing, but I think if you tried something like that, you might end up actually enjoy your running more, and see some marked improvements in overall health. And if not, you can always go back to what you're doing. I just know that personally, I'd get pretty bored if it was always the same.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------