What's a neutral shoe? (Read 678 times)

Bugs

I've always worn Brooks Trance 6. My doc thinks I need to switch to neutral shoes because I have orthotics now. So I went to the Brooks website looking for neutral shoes and all of them seem to do something for pronators. So what's a neutral shoe?

Bugs

obiebyke

Maybe Brooks adheres to the "not an exit" theory-- tell 'em what it isn't, but not what it is. Neutral, in that case, would be anything that isn't labeled "motion control" or "stability." Maybe try a big website like zappo's and look for the neutral label? To piggyback on your other thread about the pain, orthotics won't take care of a bad shoe. The orthotic can HELP hold your foot in place, but if the padding, and structure, etc. of the shoe isn't right, you'll still have problems. Today I went to a running store about some pain, and they gave me orthotics that should HELP, but made it clear that what I really need is a shoe with a more stable midsection. Good luck from a born-and-raised Minnesotan, transplanted to CA.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

dork.major dork.

The Brooks Radius are neutral shoes. I love them.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Bugs

obiebyke, I have custom orthotics because of a variation in arch height. imogene, thanks. I will try them on in the store tonight.

Bugs

PWL

Has been

Some alternate labels for neutral shoes can be as designed for "bio-mechanically efficient", "underpronators", or "mild overpronators".

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Mr R

"Performance Trainers" are usually neutral.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Another Passion

I was told at our running shop by my fitter that ASICS Gel Nimbus are neutral shoes as well. Whether that is true or not is beyond me. Confused

Rick
                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                runningforcassy.blogspot.com

PWL

Has been

I was told at our running shop by my fitter that ASICS Gel Nimbus are neutral shoes as well. Whether that is true or not is beyond me. Confused
                  It is true!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Big Chicken!

I love my Brooks Radius 7s. Had the 6s which I can no longer find. My running partner has orthotics and was told to run in Asics somthing-or-other. Didn't help one bit. She has since switched to WIDE shoes (I also wear wides though my feet aren't wide; HUGE difference). The Radius' are a neutral shoe (fairly certain of that). But sometimes changing widths can help. If you order your shoes from Road Runner Sports, you can try the shoe and if it doesn't work, return it for a new pair. Good luck!
                    Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                      In the Brooks line, the Glycerin, Switch, Dyad and Radius are neutral shoes. Also, the Burn but I believe they have been discontinued.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

It sure would be nice if running shoes were labelled more clearly. You shouldn't have to check online before heading to a store.

SMART Approach

Brooks Radius 6 I have had a long time with my orthotics. It is neutral. They work great for orthotics and have wider toe base. The 7 is new and has a more durable cushioning. Haven't tried them yet, but will. Also, I like the Saucony Trigon Ride for a neutral shoe. Fit orthotics well.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

A neutral shoe is neither Democrat nor Republican.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Some alternate labels for neutral shoes can be as designed for "bio-mechanically efficient", "underpronators", or "mild overpronators".
                              Or sometimes "cushioned." Though all trainers supply *some* degree of cushioning, so that term always seemed to ambiguous to me. If you find that the orthotics take up a lot of room in your shoes, a NB model might be nice. I've had the best luck with NB shoes for fit (with the glaring exception of my most recent pair). I have wide feet through the toes, but my rearfoot and heels are kinda narrow. I know the 1061 is often used by folks who need a roomy neutral for orthotics. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

They have a section on the website that lists the neutral shoes: http://www.brooksrunning.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=82128 And I agree, I wish the shoes were labeled in the stores Cool