What will happen to my running? (Read 612 times)

Old, Slow, Happy

First, let me say that I'm not a doctor so I don't know the correct names for everything.  The vein on the inside of my right leg was damaged when I was in high-school.  So about 43 years ago.  The result has been that I have a nasty looking varicose vein on the inside of my leg just below the knee.  My wife (a nurse) has been after me to get it repaired for some time.  It never bothered me, so I never did it.  Recently, the lower leg gets swollen.  I guess due to fluid accumulation.  It still doesn't really bother me, but it itches in the winter. Anyway, the doctor wants to repair it.  He will go up from the knee with a device inserted in the vein.  The device is radio frequency (something or other) and will heat the vein and collapse it.  Below the knee , where the vein is very noticable and convoluted, he will make a series of incisions to remove what he can of the vein.  My questions: 

How long will this procedure keep me from running? 

Are the results worth the pain of the procedure? 

Will my leg be as good or better for running after it's done? 

And lastly, how much will this hurt while it's being done? 

I would appreciate anyone's input.  I know there are some medical people out there.  I guess I'd like to know if I'm risking anything and if I can expect to continue running.

Thanks,

Large Runner

AKA (Large Richard)

A Dance with Monkeys

Hey Richard, if it is not bothering you, why get it operated on?  A calf sleeve should help with the swelling.

A Dance with Monkeys

To your questions:

How long will this procedure keep me from running?  - I'd think not long at all, days to a week or two.

Are the results worth the pain of the procedure? - not in my opinion, given that it really does not bother you.

Will my leg be as good or better for running after it's done? - should make little difference if any.

And lastly, how much will this hurt while it's being done?- probably not much.

Old, Slow, Happy

Thanks Trent:  That is my thinking, but not my wife's.  Even though my father was a doctor, I tend to be very careful (slow) about getting medical procedures.  My wife always feels there's a pill or procedure for everything.  Anyway, your advice is the same a I got from three other doctors.  I do wear compression socks often alerady.  I'll just continue to do that and wait until there is an issue.

Thanks

My wife just had a very similar procedure last month. It turned out it was the largest vein in her leg and they did collapse (or maybe cauterize) it. 

1) The doc said she could run as soon as she felt up to it. (I think she was on the elliptical 3 days later, 100% back to normal after a week or so).

2) They were for her, but part of that was a cosmetic benefit. Glad it isn't a problem any longer.

3) Good question for the doc, but what we were told is that the vein wasn't really working before the surgery anyway, so no difference.

4) I won't lie, it hurt like a sonofabitch. Take the meds.

--

Nashville, TN