Man versus Mountain (Read 738 times)

Yeah, I'll stop complaining about Yonge street now.
    And who am I anyway?
    Just another fat jogger, evidently.

Right on Hereford...

Interesting article. Thanks for posting! This makes me want to take a trip down to the Springs and try it. 2000 feet in one mile is a seriously steep climb! I live in Boulder, and I would guess Shadow Canyon is comparable in steepness, but a little longer. Anyone have stats?
        From personal experience I know that 1,000 ft per mile makes for a strenuous hike. You are doubling that and people run it??? <scratches> There sure are a lot of crazy people in this world Big grin</scratches>
          I grew up in Colorado Springs and have been up that route when it was used for a cable-car. I cannot imagine running up that!!!!! I have hiked Pikes Peak probably a dozen times and even the regular Barr trail from Manitou to the top of the incline (via different route) which is also pretty darn strenuous. Next time I am in town visiting family, I may just have to go give it a shot....

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

JakeKnight

Sort of puts Nine Mile Hill into perspective, don't it?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Interesting article. Thanks for posting! This makes me want to take a trip down to the Springs and try it. 2000 feet in one mile is a seriously steep climb! I live in Boulder, and I would guess Shadow Canyon is comparable in steepness, but a little longer. Anyone have stats?
              It's a LOT steeper than Shadow Canyon!!

Interesting that they don't mention runners training on it. Maybe its hard for triatheletes, wrestlers....but not really that hard for runners. Evil grin
                Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Right on Hereford...

It's a LOT steeper than Shadow Canyon!!
                  Ok, I did some more research. I used the gmap-pedometer terrain feature to roughly map Shadow Canyon. The biggest question is exactly how long the Shadow Canyon trail really is, but it's clear that it is over a mile, thus making it a little less steep than the Incline. The Incline Elevation Gain: 2000 ft Length: 1 mile Average Grade: 38% Shadow Canyon to S. Boulder Peak Summit Elevation Gain: 2009 ft Length: ~1.25 mile Average Grade: 30% Would you still say the Incline is a "LOT" steeper? It's up to you, but they are both quite the workout, I'm sure!
                    I've always liked the Incline Club's web page: "Go out hard, when it hurts speed up!" http://www.inclineclub.com/ Here's more details on the incline and it's status as far as being open to public or not: http://www.inclineclub.com/incline/index.htm avg 41% slope, steepest 68%. That's getting up there in Mt. Marathon range - about 3000ft in 1m i.Wink Runners are just so common there, they don't bother mentioning them.Wink http://www.inclineclub.com/incline_signs.htm
                    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog