Deseret News Marathon (Read 851 times)

First, the "Expo" was rather anemic. I think I've got more stuff in my hall closet. I was looking to pick up some Gu at the expo, but they had none, so I went to a local bike shop to get what I needed. It was warmer than last year at the start (about 70 degrees)--which was ok, except you knew that when you came out of the canyon, you were going to feel it. The first 16 miles are in Emigration Canyon in Salt Lake City, starting at about 7400 ft. The last 10 miles are in the city, and it was going to be a hot and humid day. The 1st 4 miles drop 1300 feet, so when the race started, a mass of humanity took off down the mountain like it was a 10K or half-marathon. Included in that mass was my running partner, George. He always goes out too fast, and I always tell him not to. I was just using this as a regular-kind of run (training? whatever the course gave?, get ready for St. George Marathon, etc), and stated at the start that I was going to run between 3:40-3:45. With everyone zooming down the mountain, it was hard to hold back--I felt like the 'peloton' was leaving me behind. Nonetheless, I did my best to keep to my pace, and finally caught up with George at mile 6. He went up the hill at mile 6 with me (hill is about a mile and a half), and we ran together until about mile 12 or so. At that point, he fell behind and I didn't see him until after I had finished. After the canyon, you head south until you get to Provo (ok, not really, but it felt like maybe you'd end up there Wink) until making the turn to head back north. I slowed down when we left the canyon, but I didn't really care--I was just out for a run. I knew where I was along the course, and just ran to hit my target time. I finished in 3:42, which was on goal. I don't really care for this marathon. I don't like the fact that you are given a plastic cup at the aid stations, because you can't 'pinch' them to drink from. Makes it very difficult to get the water/powerade down your throat and not all over your face--unless you really slow down. The Expo really had nothing, the goodie bag had nothing, there's virtually no crowd support anywhere on the course except for the brief section you run along the Pioneer Days parade route in the city and in the final stretch, and the course map is wrong in more than a couple of places. All minor things, I suppose. But doesn't change the fact that it is far from my favorite marathon. I do like running in the canyon, though, and they had popsicles at the end. That was good. Other than that, not a lot to say. So, marathon number 4 for the year down, 3 to go. Next one is Park City August 26.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Sounds like you need to go back and get another popsicle! Wink Sorry it was a bust for you. Hope your next is more fun!

Roads were made for journeys...

Sounds like you need to go back and get another popsicle! Wink Sorry it was a bust for you. Hope your next is more fun!
        I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was disappointed in the run--I wasn't. Treating it strictly as a training run, it was fine. Not many training runs have aid stations every 2 miles, a whole bunch of people to run with, cops halting traffic at intersections, a medal at the end, ice cream, etc. From that standpoint, it was a good run. I only mean to say that if I had to pick only one marathon to run a year, this would not be it.
        My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
        vicentefrijole

I don't like the fact that you are given a plastic cup at the aid stations, because you can't 'pinch' them to drink from. Makes it very difficult to get the water/powerade down your throat and not all over your face--unless you really slow down.
          Yeah, that must've been tough. What is the intention behind using plastic cups? Is it for environmental reasons? Do they pick them up and reuse them? If so, I can sort of understand, but that doesn't solve your problem... maybe they should hand out straws at the beginning of the race... haha. Wink Anyways, congrats on your 4th! Keep it up!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so I have only run one 5k, but I have a 10k this Sat. and am not planning to use my Camelbak (ran 6.5 miles last night and did fine without it, since it wasn't too hot out). How in the hell does one drink from a cup while running? I tried that once during the 5k and ended up choking on water. I'd love to run along with those Fla-vor-Ice things.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Congrats on yet another marathon! 3:42 is awesome, especially it's just "a training run". As for the plastic cups, maybe they ran out of paper variety at Walmart? Maybe the plastic cup company offered to sponsor the race? Maybe the RD is sadistic? Maybe the sound of plastic cups crunching beneath your feet is oh so sweet? Anyway, to drink from a paper cup on the run, pinch the rim such that it closes on itself except for one spot, which would form a spout. It eliminates splashing, and you can drink from it like a water bottle. The trick then becomes grabbing the cup on the run so it won't spill half the water before you can clamp down on it.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyway, to drink from a paper cup on the run, pinch the rim such that it closes on itself except for one spot, which would form a spout. It eliminates splashing, and you can drink from it like a water bottle. The trick then becomes grabbing the cup on the run so it won't spill half the water before you can clamp down on it.
                Ahhh...that makes sense. I must have looked like such a dolt trying to daintily sip from that cup! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

try practicing it at home on the TM... slowly! I also found that opening your mouth WIDE helps - no dainty sipping!

Roads were made for journeys...

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Ahhh...that makes sense. I must have looked like such a dolt trying to daintily sip from that cup! Tongue k
                    This ain't no tea time, so none of that daintily sip business. You're a well trained racing machine. With a little practice on the hand off, you should be able to blow by the water stations with cups in your hand Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This ain't no tea time, so none of that daintily sip business. You're a well trained racing machine. With a little practice on the hand off, you should be able to blow by the water stations with cups in your hand Big grin
                      If you say so! Big grin k --laughing my butt off at the "well trained racing machine business"...

~ Sarah Kay