Posts getting deleted while writing them (Read 648 times)

BeeRunB

Since the changeover to the new post-writing boxes, I've been having a minor problem.

If I am writing a post, and I click on anything outside the box (i.e. the white space to the right of the browser window between the box and the scroll bar, or the scroll bar), and hit the delete button, the browser returns me to the thread page and I lose everything I've written. I click back to the post writing page but everything I've written is gone. A bummer when you've written a few paragraphs.

It usually happens when I need to scroll a bit, I sometimes accidentally hit delete, but sometimes I hit delete on purpose, but forgot to click back in the box.

I'm working on Firefox on Mac. It does it on Safari as well.

--Jimmy
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have seen this behavior occasionally with every browser I have ever used for years, Mac and PC.  When you click outside the text edit box, the delete button becomes the back arrow.  I never understood why this would be.  But there it is.

BTW, I just confirmed that this happens with Mac/Camino and using three other unrelated forum websites.  This happens everywhere, not just at RA.

BeeRunB

I must have started a new bad habit, as I have never had this happen before here. I've lost a bunch of posts since the new boxes arrived. If there is no way around it, maybe there is a way to change the code so that what you've written does not get deleted when the delete button sends you back a page.

Actually, maybe that what is different. I think we were able to go back a page and return and what you had written was still there. I just tried using the back button, and came back, and everything was gone.

--Jimmy

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just tested elsewhere.  You are right.  The difference is that when I hit delete and then forward arrow the browser back to the post page, the text is gone.
          BeeRunB

Thanks for the backup research, Trent.

--Jimmy

eric :)

Jimmy,

Hitting the delete or backspace button does bring you to the previous page.  It is the behavior of the browser and not the webpage.  Firefox remembers the information you entered in the page but this behavior is not defined.  That is, it is up to the browser to determine what to do when you go back or forward in the page history.

There are ways to save drafts of your text, but that functionality is beyond the scope and capability of the site for now.

eric :-)

BeeRunB

Thanks for your time and energy, Eric. Just to see if I'm understanding you. When I used to go back a page and back to the post-writing area, I didn't lose what I had written. I never l lost it once. Now with the new post-writing boxes (whatever it's called), I lose what I've written if I go back a page. But it's the browser set-up and not the RA website?

That means something has changed in both my browsers. Would you know what that is? Is there some setting that has changed?

This never used to happen and I've lost a bunch of posts, and it's a bummer to have to write them over again, especially if you put some time into it. What happens is that I think the insertion is live in the box, but it's not and when I delete to backspace, the browser takes it back a page and erases everything. This can happen if I miss one of the buttons like the emoticons and hit white space, then thinking I can pick up where I left off, if I hit delete or accidentally hit it, I lose everything.

--Jimmy

eric :)

Jimmyb,

It's probably due to the new editor.  When it was just a text box, your browser can employ some simple tricks to repopulate the page's contents.  However, the editor is very heavy in javascript, and so the browser would not have a chance in restoring the data.  That's probably the cause.

eric :-)

flovesparko

I also noticed that I can't copy my text anymore so I can paste.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have no problem with copy and paste from the editor. (Sometimes pasting into it causes a ruckus.)  What browser are you using?
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

I also noticed that I can't copy my text anymore so I can paste.

You can't right-click and copy like you used to.  You have to click on the second icon from the left (above the "I") to "copy."   Then click on the third icon from the left (above the "U") to paste.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh.  I always use keyboard shortcuts.  Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh.  I always use keyboard shortcuts.  Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V.

Oh, yeah, that works, too!  Just not the right-clicking, I guess.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right clicking IS working on my Mac.

copy

paste

Big grin

Teresadfp

One day at a time

copy

paste

Big grin

Huh, that's odd.  I've tried several times on IE6, but it still doesn't work.  Oh, well, not a bad deal.