Switching shoes between different runs? (Read 836 times)

AroundTheHorn

I recently bought a pair of Asics Kayano 14's because I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. The last two shoes I've run in have been the asics gt-2130. My question is, can I alternate between the two, or should I just stick to one pair? I run 7 days a week so sometimes it behoves me to have an extra set hanging around. Wink
    Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I mix up two pairs of Kayanos (my regular shoe) with a pair of 2130s got at a deep discount. I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing shoes, as long as they're not completely different strucutally (i.e. don't mix an overpronation and underpronation shoe). Be warned though. The Kayanos will start to feel like Cadillacs and make the 2130's feel like Yugos. The Kayanos are a much more luxurious ride. BTW, it's good to alternate shoes, even the same type b/c it allows time for the midsole material of the shoe to fully decompress between runs. You may get more life out of each pair of shoes if you run in them every other day. Also,a day of rest give shoes a chance to dry out.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Science has proven that alternating your running shoes reduces that "running shoe funk".

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AroundTheHorn

Be warned though. The Kayanos will start to feel like Cadillacs and make the 2130's feel like Yugos. The Kayanos are a much more luxurious ride. .
          I've heard that about the kayano's, hence the reason I bought them. The gt's and kayano's fall under the same category so I'm good there. I noticed a lot more cushion in the heels of kayano's. I wonder how that's going to feel on my long runs.
          Scout7

Science has proven that alternating your running shoes reduces that "running shoe funk".
            I'd like to see a double blind study proving this statement, thank you.

Menace to Sobriety

I think it probably just delays it.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'd like to see a double blind study proving this statement, thank you.
                Smelling my running shoes will make you go doubly blind.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Smelling my running shoes will make you go doubly blind.
                  No. You went blind doing that "activity" your mom warned you about.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

xor

No. You went blind doing that "activity" your mom warned you about.
                    What? Sitting too close to the TV? Maybe it was making faces at girls. No. I was warned that my face would freeze that way.

AroundTheHorn

First run with the kayano's today. Felt decent but the cushion in the heel is quite different (like high heels maybe). It will take some getting used to but I hope it's for the better.
                      Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I had the same thing on my first run with the Kayano 13s after running on 2130s and 2120s. However, it quickly became my favorite shoe for longer runs.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I started with Kayano's, then switched to Nimbus 9's, then the Kinsei's and now I have Kinsei 2's. All feel about the same although I use the Kinsei's on longer runs. Then again keep in mind I'm a sucker for the newest has to be the greatest.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Member Since 2008

I use four different pair of shoes, rotating daily. Just curious, how do you know what it feels like to run in high heels?