Do you have a favorite running watch? (Read 1828 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I have the older model of Ironman Speed + Distance". Also, if possible, try out the watches in the store first. The buttons all click differently. Some are too sensitive, while others give no indication that you pushed it. I have a watch that I had to push really hard in order to start new splits. Certainly not the easiest watch to use. Sorry that I added more criteria that might complicate your purchase.
    vicentefrijole

squidboy, One common complaint I hear about the two button watches is that the wearer accidentally hit the wrong button during the race and have no mile splits after that.
      Yeah, that is a problem. I did that all the time when I first got mine. However, if you wear it for all your runs, you soon get used to it and it becomes second-nature to hit the right button at the right time. What gets complicated, however, is when you have different watches with the 2-button design! I have my Timex triathalon for general runs but I use a Garmin Forerunner for runs where I want to monitor heart-rate, etc. They both have 2 buttons but, of course, the locations of the buttons on the Garmin are the mirror-opposite of the Timex! Now, that get's confusing.
      Jeffrey

Mile Collector, Thanks for the link. Actually more criteria is good. I like to look at all the options when shopping for gear/gadgets. Speaking of sensitive buttons - I bought an Adidas Addistar watch and it has a "touchplate" feature to start the chrono feature and to make laps/splits. The design is flawed because everything trips the super-sensitive touchplate including your shirt-sleeve, wiping sweat from your face or head, etc. Basically any subtle touch triggers it and you end up with the watch getting frozen taking lap calculations of 12 seconds, over and over and over. The watch should be great to use when its really warm outside and nothing rubs the touchplate. I am getting nostalgic for my Casio I had in my teens! Thanks! Smile
        I have the older model of Ironman Speed + Distance". Also, if possible, try out the watches in the store first. The buttons all click differently. Some are too sensitive, while others give no indication that you pushed it. I have a watch that I had to push really hard in order to start new splits. Certainly not the easiest watch to use. Sorry that I added more criteria that might complicate your purchase.

You'll ruin your knees!

I just bought this one http://www.timex.com/gp/product/B000F5WB98/sr=1-10/qid=1162503022/ref=sr_1_10/002-6523736-9060824?ie=UTF8&m=A1S5XB33AHYRMX&n=237130011&timexBrand=core and find that it is easy to read, simple to operate and a very good match to how I use a watch. The buttons are not overly sensitive (read, not easy to press them by accident) and provide a light "beep" when activating the chronograph, the split or the stop function. The alarm is audible (got me up at 3 am last Sat) and the Indiglo is adequate on a dark night! Cost is a little higher than the basic model $60, but I am quite happy with it. By the way, your post promped me to replace my Sunnto with this watch, as it reminded me of all the things I didn't like about my old (less than 1 year old) watch. Thanks, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I just bough a Timex 100 LAP at wal-mart today. The numbers are very large and easy to read. It looks/feels pretty durable. At $10 I think it's a great watch! I think I'm going to go by another as a backup tomorrow Smile
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I just bough a Timex 100 LAP at wal-mart today. The numbers are very large and easy to read. It looks/feels pretty durable. At $10 I think it's a great watch! I think I'm going to go by another as a backup tomorrow Smile
              $10 for a watch? It's almost like it's disposable Tongue
              vicentefrijole

$10? Is that anywhere near the 'actual retail price' (channelling Bob Barker here) or is that some crazy sale price?
                  I think it's a sale price but i'm not sure.. The wal-mart is moving next week so I think everything is on sale Big grin
                  Jeffrey

I finally ended up buying a watch over the weekend: Polar rs200sd. Out of the box it's easy to use. The interface takes some getting used to but it's easy to understand thanks to a well written instruction manual. I like the foot pod. I don't have it calibrated exactly for my stride yet -- however I threw it on my shoe to get some initial readings. Before the pod I had an idea what my exertion level was within 30ish second increments (roughly, from about 9:30 - 7:30). The pod functions nicely to confirm pace levels. I tried not to look at it while I suffered up a couple brutal hills. Initially I thought I didn't want all the bells & whistles but now I like it! I'd recommend the polar watch to anyone considering a new gadget. Smile
                      Just a quick note, in case anyone else is looking at buying a watch for training I have the Nike c8 heart rate monitor, which I find to be very good for training with. I have had problems with my watch though - the strap keeps coming away from the watch case, making one of the buttons hard to press, but my watch is the only one I have heard of that has this problem. Mechanically though, the watch is great and I would recommend it...............http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/nike_c8_heart_monitor.html
                      "You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel" - Simpson, Homer J.
                        Another note, for anyone looking at watches now. I noticed yesterday that Campmor is having a really good sale on watches. Ordered a Timex Triathlon myself for $20 (normally $45). http://tinyurl.com/ygs7fh - Josh

2011 Goals:
                        sub 17min 5k
                        5:15 mile?
                        (well, maybe next year)

I bought the Timex OVA (optimal viewing angle) watch for Christmas - has all the same features as the ironman 150 lapper BUT...it sits on the side of your wrist so you can see it better without cranking your arm around! He uses it for running and cycling, but not for everyday 'cuz it's a little funky.
                          1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
                            Mile Collector, I am getting nostalgic for my Casio I had in my teens!
                            totally. bump, as i am also shopping for a cheapish & not unattractive watch that will handle splits gracefully. i have a good polar HRM watch, but it's big and it doesn't do well w/ splits... i'd like to use it when i'm doing HR training, but for regular ol' running, i miss my old lap-timing watches. i've had casios and timex ironman watches in the past and liked them, but the bands always crapped out on me and broken off before the watch itself gave out-- is this still a problem for them (note: i never take my watch off. ever. so there's some wear & tear/heavy usage)? thanks for your input!